How to get Ty Segall’s tone in “You’re the Doctor”?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

How to get Ty Segall’s tone in “You’re the Doctor”?

Post by zovosaf » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:10 pm

Anybody know how Ty Segall gets his distortion tone in “You’re the Doctor”? I keep thinking it's a fuzz war with the Tone and volume dimed with the fuzz kinda low because… it's distorted, yeah, but it still has clarity and jangle to it. The fuzz war seems to make things rounder and darker, not jangly like that.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: How to get Ty Segall’s tone in “You’re the Doctor”?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 pm

Live it’s almost certainly a Fuzz War, but in the studio he’s mentioned going direct into the board with a Russian Big Muff or a Boss Hyperfuzz. That doesn’t sound direct to me though. You can get the clarity going direct, but it feels like this is coming off a mic’d speaker.

Doesn’t he split his signal into two amps? I’ve heard that he has a distorted amp mixed with a clean one. That would keep the jangle and clarity.

forestgreen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by forestgreen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:38 pm

The history lines up on his Reverb Rig Rundown (~2011 Recording / Bauer Mansion) for the Hyper-Fuzz.

On Letterman it looks like he and Charlie have both got a Fuzz War. I think fuzzjunkie is right because they're both running two amps as well.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:08 pm

He’s always had music man amps all the times I’ve seen him.
The fuzz lines in that song sure as can be sound like fuzz wars to my ears, but again, the timeline is not perfect.