Simple mod for RAT on bass?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Simple mod for RAT on bass?

Post by Dollywitch » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:47 am

I love the aesthetics of just a straight up simple ProCo RAT, and generally love how it sounds on bass, with the obvious caveat that there's some low end drop.

I was wondering if there was a simple mod like a cap pull or swap that would retain most of the low end? obviously putting it in a blend circuit would help but that's always a compromise, i really think that should be done to retain articulation more than low end.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Simple mod for RAT on bass?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 am

Yes, and yes!

If you already have a RAT, you can mod it. Details here:

RAT bass mod

If you don’t, ProCo makes the FATRAT:
What's more, the FAT switch produces thunderous low end and a simultaneous high cut that's tailor-made for bass and down-tuned electric guitars.
Which already has the bass mod, plus another one for clipping.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Simple mod for RAT on bass?

Post by jorri » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:33 pm

well i did something....change the caps involved with the 'ruetz mod' with the two pulldown resistors. if they are bigger, then it will have a lower frequency response, and then may add trimmers or experiment with alternative resistors to fine tune. much more useful than just changing the resistance and the useless clipping of the resistor that the Ruetz mod does.

Input and output caps are probably a good idea but not all that noticable.

tone control can always change so you get a lower cutoff, just use a bigger cap.

i think different diodes work on bass better too, for less saturation, such as LEDs or even no diodes, but that's more to taste.

or just put in a dry/wet blend pedal of some sort, i mean that sounds pretty good and the less bass from that rat probably helps in that instance!