Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Rediscovering pedals...

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:37 am

zhivago wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:25 pm

Definitely check some out if you get a chance...the Myrold era early stuff is getting a bit harder to find, but the later Bennett era onwards stuff is plentiful. 8)
I'm partial to the Myrold stuff myself. It's partly nostalgia. All those initial, earlier graphics are inextricably linked in my mind to those pedals. Other graphics just don't do it for me. I know it makes no sense :wacko:

I've been meaning to snag another Fuzz Factory for a long time now and finally did. It's an '05 Myrold with the signatures on the front still, DC jack, and the box with rag, hair band, etc. I'm pretty excited. I've waited a long time to get another one. This is at least number 4 for me. Maybe number 5. Hopefully I am smart enough to hold onto this one. I've gotten better about that sort of thing. I now have a small collection of Zvex stuff that are all keepers.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:39 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:37 am
zhivago wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:25 pm

Definitely check some out if you get a chance...the Myrold era early stuff is getting a bit harder to find, but the later Bennett era onwards stuff is plentiful. 8)
I'm partial to the Myrold stuff myself. It's partly nostalgia. All those initial, earlier graphics are inextricably linked in my mind to those pedals. Other graphics just don't do it for me. I know it makes no sense :wacko:

I've been meaning to snag another Fuzz Factory for a long time now and finally did. It's an '05 Myrold with the signatures on the front still, DC jack, and the box with rag, hair band, etc. I'm pretty excited. I've waited a long time to get another one. This is at least number 4 for me. Maybe number 5. Hopefully I am smart enough to hold onto this one. I've gotten better about that sort of thing. I now have a small collection of Zvex stuff that are all keepers.

sound like an excellent score, Justin! :)

I too feel the same about the early Myriad look...they take me to a great time of pedal discovery, when the boutique thing was in full swing.

I really should frame the Zvex poster I have and put it up.
Resident Spartan.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:50 am

I only recently got this. I messed about with it a little before sticking on the shelf thinking it’ll be fun to do some overdubs with it. This thread inspired me to stick it back on my board & play around some more 8)

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:06 am

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Resident Spartan.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:00 am

I had a fuzz factory for a bit in maybe 2008-10 or so. I could only get it to sound like velcro. (Not a bad thing, although not my thing). Zvex was the first small pedal brand that really captured my imagination, too, with the handpainted ones.

In may case, I'll periodically pull out a DMM (no longer on my board) and be astounded by how "right" it sounds. Just a great delay. (Same goes for the old Maxon and Ibanez stuff). I've gotten spoiled by current feature sets (presets, dual delays, tap tempo, fine editing) but a good analog delay is beautiful and enveloping.

I also pulled out a Yamaha FX500 recently... and put it away again fairly quickly.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:23 am

It’s treble booster for me.

There’s not much of a place for it in the music I play, but it’s really inspiring to pull out once in a while, and it’s made it onto a few recordings.

It’s a unique sound and I like that about it.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:46 pm

Treble boosters are funny beasts...I have one on my board currently as 1/2 of the Analogman Sunlion, and with some guitars it is godlike, with others it is the epitome of "meh"...this is all going into the same amp...it's almost comical...the Sunface side is the same...gotta laugh, really! :D
Resident Spartan.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:13 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:46 pm
Treble boosters are funny beasts...I have one on my board currently as 1/2 of the Analogman Sunlion, and with some guitars it is godlike, with others it is the epitome of "meh"...this is all going into the same amp...it's almost comical...the Sunface side is the same...gotta laugh, really! :D
Strange beasts for sure.

With a Les Paul it’s *that* classic rock sound. Rarely a sound I want, but it’s fun.

With the right guitar it does this great jagged/broken thing, but it can also be pretty bland.

I’ve never been able to get anything out of a germanium Fuzz Face that didn’t sound like a fart. Some people are wizards with them though.

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:21 am

Great to see your Zvex pedals. I have been into them since I got my SD2-1 in 2007. It's my favourite guitar pedal of all time. Recently I found a same age Myrold SHO and to my surprise it sounds noticeable brighter compared to my SD. With the SD before and the SHO behind my drive they work great together.
I love using the warped muffled sound of the LFLJ for my more ambient band, together with the delays (and all-tube Copicat tape echo) I can get pretty abstract sounds from it.
I owned a few FF's but couldn't really put them to use somehow.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:16 am

Very cool setup there! ^^^

I too used the SD2-In-1 as my main drive for many years until I switched over to a Klon about 15 years ago or so.

For a while I had a really cool perfboard Super Duper too, serial number 066...

A few years ago serial number 001 was on ebay and I almost bought it, but didn't pull the trigger fast enough! :)
Resident Spartan.

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:47 am

zhivago wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:16 am
Very cool setup there! ^^^

I too used the SD2-In-1 as my main drive for many years until I switched over to a Klon about 15 years ago or so.

For a while I had a really cool perfboard Super Duper too, serial number 066...

A few years ago serial number 001 was on ebay and I almost bought it, but didn't pull the trigger fast enough! :)
SD #66! :w00t: Too bad #1 escaped.
I remember I bought a SHO from you a few years ago. I stupidly sold it on later but was able to correct my mistake recently.

This setup works great for me, the ZVex's with the (always on) Throbak drive offer a wide usable range of gain and volume. The order is: SD2/1 - Throbak ODB - AD9 mini - SHO - Polytune - Vol pedal - looper switch - AD4096 - LFLJ I use the looper switch for my CopiCat MkII tape echo. There are a few 'second chance' pedals on this board I reacquired after regretting selling them before. I am glad I did 8)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:36 pm

Oh wow I had forgotten you got one of my old SHOs! 8)

I've had two in the past..one was a '98 or so...was it that one?

Great to hear your setup is working well! :)
Resident Spartan.

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:57 pm

SHO clone is the part of my clean sound, at the end of a chain. Great pedal (with added knob for boosting basses, mids and highs).
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:44 pm

zhivago wrote:

WTH? That's real?? I've never seen any Zvex pedals with perf board. crazy.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:27 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:44 pm
zhivago wrote:

WTH? That's real?? I've never seen any Zvex pedals with perf board. crazy.
Oh yes, my Fuzz Factory is also perf board... :)

Resident Spartan.