Ready to get semi-permanent? (Velcro talk)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Ready to get semi-permanent? (Velcro talk)

Post by Bango_Rilla » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:53 pm

So I was watching some videos and some instagram folks talking about using 3M Dual Lock tape for pro touring board setups - while I don't tour exclusvely, my board does find itself perched in various ways during travel. I use standard velcro right now, and have a Shure GLXD16+ (which I highly recommend) - the receiver sits on your board. It's built like a tank and heavy - but that means it tends to pull off first if I'm wedging my pedal case upside down to fit in the van.

I'm highly considering putting some Dual Lock down for my pedalboard, I'm pretty set at this point in terms of pedals.

How does everyone feel about Dual Lock? Anyone use it currently?
Lover of offsets (and bananas!)

https://thegogorillas.com
https://instagram.com/thegogorillas

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ready to get semi-permanent? (Velcro talk)

Post by JSett » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:57 pm

I always use it when building a board if I can get hold of it. There's a few 'grades' and the biggest one I had to crowbar a pedal off after a couple of years attached! I wouldn't use that again.

The middle grade is what I like. It's serious enough for any application a guitarist is likely to need.

It's expensive as hell though and get more than you think when you order it as it doesn't seem to go a long way when you start cutting it and using it.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:06 pm

I’ve never had a problem with Velcro on a pedaltrain board in a soft case. The real problem was the singer taking off his glasses & kicking my board off-stage every now & again. Still, haven’t lost a pedal that was Velcro’d to the board.

Similarly, I used a battered soft case for my usa tele, stuffing it in vans & car boots all over the uk & europe. No breaks or tuning issues.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:48 pm

A non-offset Telecaster?!? HERESY!! Just kidding. :D

I know those "take a lickin' and keep on pickin'" but I tend to baby my DiPinto Galaxies - the trem is something I definitely don't want to be fooling with on the road.

As to the velcro, I wouldn't consider it a problem per-se, just one more thing to deal with when I open the pedalboard case and something has fallen off. The Shure receiver is HEAVY, so I'm just going for "ease of use and stability".

For crowbar quality dual lock, I definitely don't want that whole situation, I thought this info-graphic was some pretty cool bananas. I don't want to ape-nerd-out on the various types of dual lock, but again, crowbar a pedal of the board is bad bananas.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:04 am

Dual Lock is the best. The best part is that if you change your mind, it's SOOO MUCH easier to remove it from your board or the pedals. The glue is much less invasive than the whatever shit they use for velcro.

I've made a few pro boards for world tours and have had to change things around more than a few times. I couldn't do that with velcro. TBH, I hate velcro unless it's a cable wrap.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:25 pm

I've been using it for probably 20 years, so over this time I have spent a silly amount of money on it, but it just works so well for me.

I actually keep old pieces from pedals I've sold, that I then stick to each other and use as risers for pedals on the second row. 8)
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:36 pm

zhivago wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:25 pm
I actually keep old pieces from pedals I've sold, that I then stick to each other and use as risers for pedals on the second row. 8)
That's genius
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 pm

8)
Resident Spartan.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:54 pm

I’ve used dual lock in the past but switched to bicycle chain links a few years ago.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:11 pm

I’ve never investigated dual-lock

I might need to.

The only frustrating thing about Velcro (or whatever comes with the pedaltrain boards) is that (IME anyway) the adhesive tends to let go before the hook-and-loop

Countless times I’ve had a pedal slip in position or pull away from the board due to the Velcro piece coming unstuck from the pedal (it tends to hang onto the board a bit better)

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:48 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:11 pm
I’ve never investigated dual-lock

I might need to.

The only frustrating thing about Velcro (or whatever comes with the pedaltrain boards) is that (IME anyway) the adhesive tends to let go before the hook-and-loop

Countless times I’ve had a pedal slip in position or pull away from the board due to the Velcro piece coming unstuck from the pedal (it tends to hang onto the board a bit better)
Here's a film set fix for that - use a hair dryer or heat gun (or lighter if you're in the field) and get the sticky side super hot so it all turns shiny and looses its rigidity - then stick it on. It will be almost fused to the surface and won't come off without pliers and brute strength. Because of this, another trick I always use is to put a layer of high quality paper tape on the surface and then melt the velcro onto that - that way you can easily pull it off.

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:29 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:48 pm

Here's a film set fix for that - use a hair dryer or heat gun (or lighter if you're in the field) and get the sticky side super hot so it all turns shiny and looses its rigidity - then stick it on. It will be almost fused to the surface and won't come off without pliers and brute strength. Because of this, another trick I always use is to put a layer of high quality paper tape on the surface and then melt the velcro onto that - that way you can easily pull it off.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh this is gooooood. Thanks for the (hot) tip!!

JSutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSutter » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:36 am

Dual lock should be the standard. It's better than Velcro (still amazing stuff) in every way. You only need 1/2" squares or 1/2" x 1" strips on each corner for the average pedal. I have not spent much, I get it locally on sale under the Extreme brand. The biggest pro for me is it's reusable. I have an adhesive eraser wheel and clean off the old double sided tape to apply new tape.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:08 am

Dual lock is way better for me. Easier to use and as mentioned, easier to remove/keep clean.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:39 pm

The only times I've ever made boards (homemade wood boards) I've screwed the pedals directly to the board, but I'm also not a touring musician, so take that with a grain of salt. I remember a That Pedal Show video where Dan mentioned that he uses a combination of Velcro and Dual Lock (Velcro on the board side, Dual Lock on the pedal side (in small squares as mentioned above)), and it's supposed to be very sturdy, but not impossible to remove either. In theory, it would also be a bit less expensive, as you'd only need half the Dual Lock. Also, there are different (i.e. better) grades of Velcro too!!

Found the video!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384