Public Service Announcement: Boss DSD-2/3 Trigger In Primer

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Public Service Announcement: Boss DSD-2/3 Trigger In Primer

Post by MrShake » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:36 am

Okay, okay, hold up, this is straight-up cool. Nobody talks about thus, so here's a tutorial for the synth-averse.

I just finally wrapped my head around a feature of this pedal that took it from a great delay with a cool novelty to a must-have for my setup.

THIS sneaky little ****er.

So, I have one of those Behringer 808 knockoffs I play/write with at home. Very fun.

I spotted something about the trigger input of the DSD-2 online. Now, some of you may have referred to this in the past, but without seeing/hearing it, I'm sorry I didn't understand you fully.

I don't know why this isn't raved about or available on more modern pedal offerings

Pick a channel on your drum machine or set up the trigger out for that channel if you can.

I'm using the Cowbell channel, because I rarely use that sound on anything but fat hip-hop beats.

Program any pattern you'd like. Again, for the beginner, those colored buttons at the bottom. Those are each a 1/16th note. Each color section represents a quarter note. Here's my funky pattern.

Now take the "Trigger Out" on whatever device and plug it into the DSD-2 or 3.

The LED on the pedal will light up at every lit beat on the drum machine. It will fire off echoes of that "step" every time the drum machine sends it an activated blip. I thought it fired off whatever you had sampled, not acted as a complicated clock for a digital delay pedal.

You can set up crazy patterns, and because they're controlled by the same clock as the drums, the delays are always in time, whatever crazy uneven pattern you want to set them to.

The manual for this pedal says, and I quote: "you can enjoy irregular repetition of the echo effect". Kinda underselling it, gang.

NOW I get why people say they trigger it with the band's snare drum. Every 2 and 4 would get a big blast of dubby delay, always locked to the drummer.

Try it, if you can, and see.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Public Service Announcement: Boss DSD-2/3 Trigger In Primer

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:52 pm

yep, I have the DSD-3. I had the 2 but sold it years ago before I got deep into synths. I found a 3 about 2 years ago for $50. Great pedal.

I use the sync out from my arturia stuff like my keystep 37 or beatstep pro.