NPD: DOD DFX9 Digital Delay

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NPD: DOD DFX9 Digital Delay

Post by MrShake » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:21 pm

Okay, I'm cutting myself off for a bit if anything but the cheapest of cheap. I got this and I have another en route, and I JUST got the DuoTime and Tera Echo. I've gotten it out of my system, Ambient Mike is all gear'd up, I'm laying off the pedals as hard as I can help it.

But (re)posting this here because it's relevant to many of our interests, the pedal kicks ass, and I wanted to share the other news.

Was going by my local shop for strings, and saw that they had a pair of these.

I'd gotten one last year and loved it, despite not ending up on my main board, it's seen a ton of use on my "stripped down grunge" board. But I love that era/sound that Boss is apparently calling "vintage digital" in their promo copy these days. Dirty, low-res repeats, but still sharper than BBD circuits. Couldn't resist and snapped it up.

Now, I couldn't see any cap codes when I took the bottom plate off, and I wasn't sure in what to look for on the ICs, but enough codes have 92- and 93 in them make me think this one's circa 1993, a USA model.

Sounds great, what you'd expect, but the sample/looper ("infinite repeat") is a ton of fun to mess with. I hate using the phrase "hidden gem", but if you like lower-res digital delay with a fun "glitch & twist" kind of deal, you'd likely love this.

(Oh! And there are stickers, likely QC, that have full names on them! Jane Rich, Suzy Bailey, Tino Thurbert, and a Terri whose last name I can't read. Just funny to see them like little notes from decades ago.)

But the real reason that swayed me to go ahead is that I found out the other day that Tom, one of the co-owners of Mr. Music in Boston passed away at the end of April. I just figured I'd missed him when I popped in a couple of times in the past couple of months.

I didn't talk to anybody about it, I'm still pretty bummed and everybody seemed in a good mood. But I saw an obit online with a picture and stuff, and heard from a couple other people in town.

For some reason, he took a liking to my wife and I. We live down the street, and for a while, I'd meet her at her train in front of our building, and we'd see him driving in, big honk and a wave every day.

He once let me take home an amp footswitch to see if it was compatible, and told me to come back and either pay or put it back on the shelf. And I don't think I've paid full price for strings in 7 years.

So, he was always a good guy to us, NEVER a bit of that old-school music store sexism toward my drummer wife, and it was always good to hear him go on about some of my Boston and MA heroes dropping by, just like the rest of us.

Figured it was as good a time as any to maybe spend a little extra while stopping in. I know I'll be hanging onto this one permanently as a little tribute to a guy who treated me just like all the other musicians.

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NPD: DOD DFX9 Digital Delay

Post by Bango_Rilla » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:21 pm

DOD pedals are fun. Underrated for the most part.

Glad to hear of a cool local shop, those are rare these days, so you did right by them. :-)
Lover of offsets (and bananas!)

https://thegogorillas.com
https://instagram.com/thegogorillas