Boss RV-3: Still Solving Pedalboard Problems

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Boss RV-3: Still Solving Pedalboard Problems

Post by MrShake » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:20 am

(Disclaimer: I hope nobody minds that I've cross-posted some stuff recently to TGP recently. Things have been quiet here, and I like discussion, but if'n you see that, just know I'm not trying to spam the whole damn internet with my peculiar tastes. Thank you for your understanding.)

Lots of pedalboard pondering ahead, read at your own risk.

And, I mean, the thread title sorta spoils the ending, so just take a look then read the rest as a flashback if you want to

So, over the last year, I've been building a secondary band board. I wanted to keep it as cheap as possible, but also give it enough variety to cover everything the band needs. I was willing to make sacrifices and strip down my fuzz selection, but what I put together can more than cover enough of our sounds. I also wanted it to be able to run direct out, preferably XLR, from an amp/cab sim with acceptable sound at the lowest possible price point.

(The main impetus is that our band lost its practice space, and we needed at at-home, headphones/silent solution to keep rehearsing through a little mixer. I've also played plenty of solo gigs with a ZT Lunchbox for me onstage, to monitor and to feedback if I want to, and the PA getting the line signal from the back of that. A "direct options" board seems like a way to cut out the middleman of the amp if necessary, like for these home practices.)

I use delay and reverb, with pretty much any dark, clangy 'verb at the end fitting the bill for this band for texture. I recently realized that while it's completely unlike our "space garage" vibe, the sound of Billy Bragg's "Back To Basics" is a BIG but unlikely sonic influence. I finally caved and put an RV-2 on the main live board, because that's MY sound, damn it.

For delay, I usually use a DD-5 for tap tempo dotted eighths, and an occasional slapback throughout the set. But our closer calls for a DD-5, Mode 4, maxed. Almost like a "fading Frippertronics" thing, that builds to a white noise throb that I jump off something onto a kill switch and choke. 2000ms, maxed repeats, the first of them as loud or even louder than the dry signal. I rarely put this through any reverb except maybe a splash of amp spring, because I want the chop and rhythm to cut.

For this budget/alternates board, I'd been using a Donner RevEcho (following a NUX Edge Delay that covers all the tap-tempo stuff well enough). The Donner's not perfect, but reverb at the end, with a digital delay into it that goes up to 2000ms. Seems like a solution, right? I've realized that even on top of the Rev being hard to dial in for my sound (though it's a fine sound, just fiddly - too wet or too dry where I want it to live), it's also got a volume drop. And I don't think it's just the perceived one with reverb either.

On top of that, the delay seems to have a very slight modulation to it. Which is...fine? But not exactly what I was looking for. Frustrating, because not only did it fit the space constraints perfectly, I was now going to need to find 2 pedals - one for acceptable end-of-chain reverb, and one for a clear, crisp, digital, 2000ms delay. Both on a budget, and both tiny.

OR... I'd have to find another 2-in-1 pedal. That does a lo-fi, clangy plate reverb in the vein of my RV-2 AND does the 2000ms without modulation or "faux analog" high-end rolloff.

I think you see where this is going.

I hadn't realized that the RV-3 went up to 2000ms, because I almost exclusively play it in R+D settings that only go up to a shorter max time. And for straight reverb, I've always loved it, but I love the RV-2 just a little more. Though I prefer the -3's wet/dry control.

But there it was. A clangy, lo-fi, clearly-"digital" plate reverb setting like I like it, and a simple, crisp 2000ms delay that has that Boss Clarity without any diffusion.

And as a bonus, with a little pushing and shoving and rearranging, thanks to the less-common form factor, I was still able to fit the Donner in at the end of the chain, in a place where nothing else I have will fit! Even with the volume drop, I'm sure I could still find a use for it in one of our more wide-dynamics noisy Sonic Youth-goes-Krautrock numbers. If you KNOW and can accept that there's a volume drop, the Donner is still a pretty cool pedal, really deep settings, and I'd recommend it at the $30 I found it for. Just didn't work here.

So I put my RV-3 on this DI-option board, but had to pull it from ANOTHER board, where it was doing a very nice job. So I started thinking about grabbing a second one of these. It's exactly the kind of pedal I love, and they're only getting older. I check the usual websites, pop a couple in my digital cart to ponder in the near future, and go to bed. One of 'em, the least expensive I could find, was well below the average rate. Had some wear on it, but no serious gouges or anything. Woke up to an offer from the seller for a SERIOUS discount. Like 25% off.

So I've got another on the way. I trust Boss build quality. And in case it doesn't function, that website has a buyer guarantee, no matter what the listing says. ;)

Not exactly the "affordaboard" I'd hoped, but still in NUX-level territory, not Strymon.

Boss, you crafty ol' bastard. Still solving pedalboard problems in 2023, with 30-year old tech.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Boss RV-3: Still Solving Pedalboard Problems

Post by ryland » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:57 pm

I, too, have recently re-discovered the RV-3 verb+delay settings in the context of cleaning up a board. I love the RV-2 plate sound, but I can live with the RV-3 and get so much more use out of it.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:44 pm

ryland wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:57 pm
I, too, have recently re-discovered the RV-3 verb+delay settings in the context of cleaning up a board. I love the RV-2 plate sound, but I can live with the RV-3 and get so much more use out of it.
I think you hit my nail on the head as well. It's not like the RV-3 is in any way second-rate, I just prefer the RV-2. But the RV-3 is the second best candidate I've ever found, it offers a lot more versatility in my case, it's got some really cool unique features, saves me space... and the reverb's to die for, if you like that "early digital" vibe.

clark
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clark » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:12 pm

Although I no longer have an RV3, I’ve had a couple in the past and they are great. I just wish the delay could have tap tempo - as sonically it is such a great digital delay. They are instant ambience…

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:53 pm

clark wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:12 pm
Although I no longer have an RV3, I’ve had a couple in the past and they are great. I just wish the delay could have tap tempo - as sonically it is such a great digital delay. They are instant ambience…
Couldn't agree more on the great delay and instant ambience. Some things do just have a little bit of magic in the recipe, don't they?

You know, it's funny, I was playing what I guess you could call post-rock through the RV-3 today, then plopped down to listen to some of my favorite old Louisville bands (I grew up in NKY), including one with a Clark in it. Was funny to see your user info over there to the right.

PM me if you've ever met Kid Dynamite ;)

clark
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clark » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:04 pm

Always down for some post rock, but never met them

Iheartreverb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Iheartreverb » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:58 am

MrShake wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:20 am
(Disclaimer: I hope nobody minds that I've cross-posted some stuff recently to TGP recently. Things have been quiet here, and I like discussion, but if'n you see that, just know I'm not trying to spam the whole damn internet with my peculiar tastes. Thank you for your understanding.)

Lots of pedalboard pondering ahead, read at your own risk.

And, I mean, the thread title sorta spoils the ending, so just take a look then read the rest as a flashback if you want to

So, over the last year, I've been building a secondary band board. I wanted to keep it as cheap as possible, but also give it enough variety to cover everything the band needs. I was willing to make sacrifices and strip down my fuzz selection, but what I put together can more than cover enough of our sounds. I also wanted it to be able to run direct out, preferably XLR, from an amp/cab sim with acceptable sound at the lowest possible price point.

(The main impetus is that our band lost its practice space, and we needed at at-home, headphones/silent solution to keep rehearsing through a little mixer. I've also played plenty of solo gigs with a ZT Lunchbox for me onstage, to monitor and to feedback if I want to, and the PA getting the line signal from the back of that. A "direct options" board seems like a way to cut out the middleman of the amp if necessary, like for these home practices.)

I use delay and reverb, with pretty much any dark, clangy 'verb at the end fitting the bill for this band for texture. I recently realized that while it's completely unlike our "space garage" vibe, the sound of Billy Bragg's "Back To Basics" is a BIG but unlikely sonic influence. I finally caved and put an RV-2 on the main live board, because that's MY sound, damn it.

For delay, I usually use a DD-5 for tap tempo dotted eighths, and an occasional slapback throughout the set. But our closer calls for a DD-5, Mode 4, maxed. Almost like a "fading Frippertronics" thing, that builds to a white noise throb that I jump off something onto a kill switch and choke. 2000ms, maxed repeats, the first of them as loud or even louder than the dry signal. I rarely put this through any reverb except maybe a splash of amp spring, because I want the chop and rhythm to cut.

For this budget/alternates board, I'd been using a Donner RevEcho (following a NUX Edge Delay that covers all the tap-tempo stuff well enough). The Donner's not perfect, but reverb at the end, with a digital delay into it that goes up to 2000ms. Seems like a solution, right? I've realized that even on top of the Rev being hard to dial in for my sound (though it's a fine sound, just fiddly - too wet or too dry where I want it to live), it's also got a volume drop. And I don't think it's just the perceived one with reverb either.

On top of that, the delay seems to have a very slight modulation to it. Which is...fine? But not exactly what I was looking for. Frustrating, because not only did it fit the space constraints perfectly, I was now going to need to find 2 pedals - one for acceptable end-of-chain reverb, and one for a clear, crisp, digital, 2000ms delay. Both on a budget, and both tiny.

OR... I'd have to find another 2-in-1 pedal. That does a lo-fi, clangy plate reverb in the vein of my RV-2 AND does the 2000ms without modulation or "faux analog" high-end rolloff.

I think you see where this is going.

I hadn't realized that the RV-3 went up to 2000ms, because I almost exclusively play it in R+D settings that only go up to a shorter max time. And for straight reverb, I've always loved it, but I love the RV-2 just a little more. Though I prefer the -3's wet/dry control.

But there it was. A clangy, lo-fi, clearly-"digital" plate reverb setting like I like it, and a simple, crisp 2000ms delay that has that Boss Clarity without any diffusion.

And as a bonus, with a little pushing and shoving and rearranging, thanks to the less-common form factor, I was still able to fit the Donner in at the end of the chain, in a place where nothing else I have will fit! Even with the volume drop, I'm sure I could still find a use for it in one of our more wide-dynamics noisy Sonic Youth-goes-Krautrock numbers. If you KNOW and can accept that there's a volume drop, the Donner is still a pretty cool pedal, really deep settings, and I'd recommend it at the $30 I found it for. Just didn't work here.

So I put my RV-3 on this DI-option board, but had to pull it from ANOTHER board, where it was doing a very nice job. So I started thinking about grabbing a second one of these. It's exactly the kind of pedal I love, and they're only getting older. I check the usual websites, pop a couple in my digital cart to ponder in the near future, and go to bed. One of 'em, the least expensive I could find, was well below the average rate. Had some wear on it, but no serious gouges or anything. Woke up to an offer from the seller for a SERIOUS discount. Like 25% off.

So I've got another on the way. I trust Boss build quality. And in case it doesn't function, that website has a buyer guarantee, no matter what the listing says. ;)

Not exactly the "affordaboard" I'd hoped, but still in NUX-level territory, not Strymon.

Boss, you crafty ol' bastard. Still solving pedalboard problems in 2023, with 30-year old tech.
I was having a read about today as I’ve seen an RV3 at a good price locally and while I don’t need it, certainly want it.

Genuinely, your description of the time you’re going for a reference points had me salivating (sorry), is your band online anywhere to check out?