belated NPD - Tech 21 Liverpool V2

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

belated NPD - Tech 21 Liverpool V2

Post by marqueemoon » Mon May 22, 2023 8:32 pm

I actually picked this up a few weeks ago. I've been casually looking for decent deal on one of these for a while. I specifically wanted the V2 as I wanted the ability to switch the onboard speaker emulation on and off. In my recording setup I have Neunaber Iconoclast speaker emulator, but I also want to be able to use onboard speaker emulation for playing an open mic or whatever, or potentially use it as a conventional dirt pedal with the speaker emulation off from time to time.

What is funny about this is I found it when I went to pick up my vintage Vox Cambridge Reverb from repair. I had just settled up on the repair and decided to take one more lap around the shop and there it was in the case. Naturally I had to demo it through the Vox, and unsurprisingly I loved it. Of course I had to grab a family picture on the way home for yucks.

I've now tried it at home using the Iconoclast as well as at practice as my "amp" on a night when it was just me and the drummer, and long story short I love it. I also have a Tech 21 Blonde I bought from a fellow OSGer a few years ago, and what I really appreciate about these is that while they each have their own signature the controls function similarly, so It's pretty intuitive to dial in sounds. I like the lightly crunchy sounds best on this whereas the Blonde is better at the two extremes.

In the area of speaker emulation I think the Liverpool wins, but this is largely because the AC sound to me is just easier to pull off in the analog domain. I would have zero issue using this live in my 3 piece where I am the only guitar. It's a pretty bright pedal, but not in an icepicky way. It does that lovely upper midrange "splat" thing. 

Something that tends to get repeated a lot is that the Joyo AC Tone and its variants are basically identical to the Liverpool. Having had custody of an AC Tone for few days a while back I diagree. The Liverpool is much more complex and amp-like.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: belated NPD - Tech 21 Liverpool V2

Post by burpgun » Tue May 23, 2023 7:15 am

It's just crazy how good Tech21 stuff is. I'm totally reliant on a Bass VT and a Blonde for my recording setups, so much so that the boxes weaned me off of the sims I'd been using. I also have an ancient GT-2 I should dig out and give another go with, I was less impressed with that thing I got back in the early 90s.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue May 23, 2023 8:27 am

burpgun wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:15 am
It's just crazy how good Tech21 stuff is. I'm totally reliant on a Bass VT and a Blonde for my recording setups, so much so that the boxes weaned me off of the sims I'd been using. I also have an ancient GT-2 I should dig out and give another go with, I was less impressed with that thing I got back in the early 90s.
Yeah, are pretty good. I still prefer a real miced amp when that’s practical to do, but it often isn’t and I still have music to make.

In my limited experience using attenuators for silent recording it isn’t necessary better.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue May 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Awesome. I've only had (your!) Blonde and a Leeds one... really impressed with the quality of the sounds and the usability. Only sold them to fund an iridium (which is differently great) but I'd do a Tech 21 again in a heartbeat. Nice to see it with the great-great-uncle by marriage or whatever the relationship is.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue May 23, 2023 6:56 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:12 pm
Awesome. I've only had (your!) Blonde and a Leeds one... really impressed with the quality of the sounds and the usability. Only sold them to fund an iridium (which is differently great) but I'd do a Tech 21 again in a heartbeat. Nice to see it with the great-great-uncle by marriage or whatever the relationship is.
:) They nicely done for sure. Your old Blonde is has been the amp sound on almost everything I’ve recorded at home for the past few years.

The Liverpool gets a little spikier, which is a sound I’m into now. It out-Voxes my actual Vox. :D

doctor_capleson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by doctor_capleson » Wed May 24, 2023 11:12 am

I owned and used the Oxford for a couple of years. Being able to switch cab sim off was super important to me before I bought it, but then I ended up just leaving it on all the time. Like you, I used it both as a DI and as a more traditional dirt box, and the cab sim never prevented it from functioning well in either use case. The only thing that changed was the volume setting, and then a couple of tweaks to eq, depending on whether it was being used as a DI box or standard dirt pedal.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 24, 2023 2:37 pm

doctor_capleson wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:12 am
I owned and used the Oxford for a couple of years. Being able to switch cab sim off was super important to me before I bought it, but then I ended up just leaving it on all the time. Like you, I used it both as a DI and as a more traditional dirt box, and the cab sim never prevented it from functioning well in either use case. The only thing that changed was the volume setting, and then a couple of tweaks to eq, depending on whether it was being used as a DI box or standard dirt pedal.
I notice a difference with the Liverpool, and yes you can definitely compensate with the onboard eq and get a usable tone, particularly if using it as a dirt box.

I do like to be able to switch it off using the Iconoclast where I’ve already done my own tweaks though.