Pedal Triage Day!

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pedal Triage Day!

Post by MrShake » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:40 am

So, a couple of the cheapos I've picked up in the past few months have had build design issues, and today was the day to fix 'em. Mostly because the mini pots I ordered arrived.

The Dolamo is a good-sounding Rat, and the third position on the switch isn't the ProCo Solo - it seems like it's a mode that uses 1 LED and 1 silicon diode, like a hybrid Rat/Turbo Rat.

The switch on the Dolamo was, by far, the shittiest switch I've ever encountered on any device of any kind ever. Felt like there was sand in it, hard to even tell which position it was in. Like it was telling me right out of the box that it had about 5 flips in it. It was a utility drive, so I flipped it to "Classic" and left it. Dug out a DPDT On-Off-On, and voila - a much more versatile machine. Since I have a few switches, I'd consider picking up another knowing it needs 10 minutes for a new switch, but only if it was under $20.

The D250X sounded great, but had a linear 500K Gain pot, so nothing kicked in until 2:30 on the dial. I found some D-shaft PC-mount pots online. No retaining nut, but this thing's just for kicks. Carefully snipped the old pot out and put in a C-Taper 500K and we're in business. Things start growling between 10-11 o'clock. There seems to be a lot of D250 hype right now, and it got me interested in messing around with one. Never bonded with my wife's DIY D+, but I've also been a squeaky-clean Fender amp player. It's been a little harsh on the treble. But this might convert me. I've been on a big Hüsker Dü kick lately (real formative for me), and finally decoding his guitar sound has me interested in experimenting with trying a texture.like that. "Shoegaze as brick wall" kinda thing.

So, fun new sounds. Sonically, they sound great and it was worth 20 minutes and a pot and a switch. If you can deal with the pot sweep as stock, this Mosky seems to sound pretty good to me. If you can solder and are willing to tread carefully, they're decent once they're tweaked. The stock switch on the Dolamo is a total failure on their part though. You can do better on that one if you're not willing to fix one.