‘lil Rat

Everyone needs a stompbox.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

‘lil Rat

Post by sal paradise » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:24 am

I’m really tempted. I’ve got a little muff and mini Tubescreamer, and they’re easily as good as any other versions I’ve had before.

Also, a collection of miniature classics. Mini DS-1?

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JazzmasterJonny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ‘lil Rat

Post by JazzmasterJonny » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:37 am

I just sold one of these.. I liked it and it was more or less exactly as I remembered the recent bigger box version I owned a few years ago. The only thing I found was that the knobs are tiny and it seemed so small under my size 12 foot, that's why I sold it, although the enclosure felt pretty solid,

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:54 pm

i have one and it's pretty close to my trusty old II
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:50 pm

Sincere question to Lil' Rat users: what's the incentive, other than brand name, to get one of these Lil' Rats over a Mooer/Donner/Sonicake? The clipping options on the clones make them a clear winner for me on sonics/features, especially with a price difference.

No judgement if you just want a tiny ProCo, but y'all know I'm a big Rat fan and I struggle to see the appeal.

But don't get me wrong, sometimes aesthetics and style are what one wants! If it speaks to you, go for it!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:34 pm

MrShake wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:50 pm
Sincere question to Lil' Rat users: what's the incentive, other than brand name, to get one of these Lil' Rats over a Mooer/Donner/Sonicake? The clipping options on the clones make them a clear winner for me on sonics/features, especially with a price difference.

No judgement if you just want a tiny ProCo, but y'all know I'm a big Rat fan and I struggle to see the appeal.

But don't get me wrong, sometimes aesthetics and style are what one wants! If it speaks to you, go for it!
I had a rat clone built for me years back that didn’t cut it. My 90s rat didn’t work well at low gain so I sold it. I want to have to a rat. So if the price is right, honestly it’ll just be fun sat next to the mini TS & the nano muff on my shelf ready for use.

I am, however, likely to pickup a Tom’sline black teeth as I’ve heard it does low gain v well. And I think that’s got 3 rats in 1?

So… :whistle:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:41 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:34 pm
MrShake wrote:

I had a rat clone built for me years back that didn’t cut it. My 90s rat didn’t work well at low gain so I sold it. I want to have to a rat. So if the price is right, honestly it’ll just be fun sat next to the mini TS & the nano muff on my shelf ready for use.

I am, however, likely to pickup a Tom’sline black teeth as I’ve heard it does low gain v well. And I think that’s got 3 rats in 1?

Have you tried a Rat that's had the Ruetz mod done? Those slay for low gain tones (and is a 2 second mod). All my Rats have this done to them
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:51 pm

JSett wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:41 pm
sal paradise wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:34 pm
MrShake wrote:

Have you tried a Rat that's had the Ruetz mod done? Those slay for low gain tones (and is a 2 second mod). All my Rats have this done to them
I has not. Going to learn soldering & build a few pedals when I get my first paycheck in from the new job so will look into this. Merci :)

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:02 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:51 pm
I has not. Going to learn soldering & build a few pedals when I get my first paycheck in from the new job so will look into this. Merci :)
All you need is a pair of nail clippers. Literally cut one leg of one resistor and it's done.

It's better to desolder but the wire-clip does the same job. Less overall gain (still plenty though) but all the lows come back too...some people says it takes away from a lot of the Rat character but I think it sounds better and is way more usable. YMMV/ETC

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:28 pm

I agree with Johnny on trying the ruetz mod. It makes the rat a lot more useable for me - better sounding low gain and a touch more bottom end means the rat can be used as a light OD pushing in to a gainier od/fuzz/distortion without fizzing out.
Black Mass 1312 runs at 18V and is my ideal rat, but obviously way pricier than a modded rat or one of the many cheap mini clones.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:35 pm

Ok, I’ll buy a cheap rat 2 & try the mod!

*edit* do you think this is a good one to go for?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:40 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:35 pm
Ok, I’ll buy a cheap rat 2 & try the mod!

*edit* do you think this is a good one to go for?
Oh, for sure, that's begging to be modded. And an absolute bargain.

You could even drill it for an LED while you're there

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:41 am

I just got a Tomsline, it's great, even if the third mode doesn't do it for me. Definitely in that "good mini Rat" lineage. Don't pay more than a Donner/Sonicake though for that "Solo" mode, though.

If yr gonna Ruetz, make it switchable, or desolder one leg instead of clipping it. I did the mod and did not like what it did to the Rat one bit, but totally get that others like it. I thought it was gonna really step it up for me, but I didn't care for it. Stock was much preferred to my ears.

So if you do it (and it's pretty easy, as mods go), just be careful so you can undo if you need to.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:57 am

MrShake wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:41 am
I just got a Tomsline, it's great, even if the third mode doesn't do it for me. Definitely in that "good mini Rat" lineage. Don't pay more than a Donner/Sonicake though for that "Solo" mode, though.

If yr gonna Ruetz, make it switchable, or desolder one leg instead of clipping it. I did the mod and did not like what it did to the Rat one bit, but totally get that others like it. I thought it was gonna really step it up for me, but I didn't care for it. Stock was much preferred to my ears.

So if you do it (and it's pretty easy, as mods go), just be careful so you can undo if you need to.
The Tom’sline is looking cheaper than a fish supper. So we’ll be good.

Thanks for the advice on Ruetz. Will aim to desolder & see how it goes.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:47 am

Sounds like a plan. And again, the idea of "tiny, name-brand recreations of a few classics" doesn't fall anywhere near some of the most ridiculous rationale I've seen for buying pedals.

Also, if you get one to dive in to modding, here's how I'd go about making an Ultimate Rat on the DIY Cheap.

Easiest to Hardest:
1) Ruetz Mod
2) replace IC with a socket
3) Clipping/Turbo switch
4) DC jack update*
5) Ruetz "Lube" knob (ew) (put a pot in the "lifted" setting of Ruetz switch, lets you dial in "how much Ruetz is applied"(?))
5) Face-mounted Turbo LEDs

You might not need the DC jack, but if it's still got the old 1/8" headphone-style power plug, if you're modding, I've found there's no sense in not doing it! No more dongles! And instructions are pretty easily found online. Same for pot values to use for the Ruetz Lube knob.

The toughest part for me was hand-drilling the enclosure. The Rat hides are tough. Get a fresh step bit and a hand drill that has some power. Go slow.

And, like, 10 years ago I started my Rat modding quest (which has gotten me to scratch stripboard fuzzes!), I drew this up, but my PB acct went "paid" and I couldn't get it. So I screencap'd it and thought it might be helpful for future adventurers scrolling OSG in ten more years. Or now.

"Vintage/Turbo" Clipping Switch Mod:

Honestly, you could use that concept for the Ruetz/Lube switch, too, but on one side of the switch, put a resistor of the value of the lifted one (after removing it from the board entirely) on one side, and put a pot of roughly that value on the other side, but the wiring's kinda similar.

I love talking Rats, and these were my first steps toward learning basic repair/circuitry skills, worth having out there.

Bon voyage!

And... are you gonna get a Tomsline AND a Lil Rat?

Edited to add:. If you want to make the clipping 3-way and included a "lifted" or "Clean Rat" setting, just make that SPDT switch the 3-way "on-off-on" type, and the middle position will be "no diodes", only IC chip clipping, and a big volume boost, enough to use as a clean boost.

Here's where this absurd rabbit hole leads:

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:55 am

Awesome! I have no idea what that diagram means. But that’s gonna be my little evening hobby to keep my brain busy.

Tom’sline, ‘lil rat… and rat2 for modding 8)