Everyone needs a stompbox.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any effects loop users?

Post by jorri » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:47 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:15 am
Just did the same thing. Hopefully it all shows up this week :)

I have to say -- despite being a massive fan of chorus, chorus through the effects loop is undeniably the source of all bad press on chorus. Woof. Instant cheez metal. :k
To me its usually any combination of drive and chorus. I've put it about first in the chain so whatever drive is on with reduce its effects. But pre verb, pre delay etc quite essential as is traditional.

Some are great though like dimension C as it can be used as a stereo-izer...running as an outboard so its 'post mic' in a recording chain. Which is another thing, i quite like to have things post-mic in a recording setup. Why not go even further if you are after those clean verbs, right, and if you want stereo sounds or later control it makes it a lot easier. Surely is the ideal we are looking for in this thread.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:12 pm

I made the jump to an amp with an FX loop this past summer after decades of playing non-master volume single channel amps and it's been a revelation. Everything just sounds better, although I must admit that an analog delay into a dirty amp is a great sound too.
Resident Spartan.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:10 am

zhivago wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:12 pm
I made the jump to an amp with an FX loop this past summer after decades of playing non-master volume single channel amps and it's been a revelation. Everything just sounds better, although I must admit that an analog delay into a dirty amp is a great sound too.
Kind of a nice surprise, isn't it? I feel like amp gain/effects loops is having the same moment that pedals were having in the early 2000s where it was like "oh wait... all of this stuff actually sounds good when not used on terrible music."

I just purchased a junction box so I could make a bit of a 'hybrid' board where some of the stuff goes into the loop and some stays in the front. Should hopefully be a best of both worlds.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:24 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:10 am
zhivago wrote:
Kind of a nice surprise, isn't it? I feel like amp gain/effects loops is having the same moment that pedals were having in the early 2000s where it was like "oh wait... all of this stuff actually sounds good when not used on terrible music."

I just purchased a junction box so I could make a bit of a 'hybrid' board where some of the stuff goes into the loop and some stays in the front. Should hopefully be a best of both worlds.
Absolutely!!! :)

And great move on the junction box...I have one on my board and I do essentially what you are planning...some stuff in front, some in the loop. 8)

Resident Spartan.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:31 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:24 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:10 am
zhivago wrote:

Absolutely!!! :)

And great move on the junction box...I have one on my board and I do essentially what you are planning...some stuff in front, some in the loop. 8)

Impeccably organized as always!

And good to hear that it's relatively easy to implement. This is what I have in mind presently...

ImageProposedMetro16 by Steve Bailey, on Flickr

The Immerse is the one iffy element because I don't tend to love sideways pedals, but I'm interested in adding a weird reverb to the bunch so if I did, that's where it'd have to go.

Real version to come!
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:50 am

Very cool!! I look forward to seeing it all in real life! 8)
Resident Spartan.

ryanthellama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryanthellama » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:11 pm

pj wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:14 am
My Roland JC40 has an effects loop but I have not messed with it too much. I should.
I swear by the effects loop and have been using a JC40 as my main amp for the last year or so. I came from a tube amp, and in both scenarios all my modulation effects and delays sounded so much better in the loop. In the Jazz Chorus I even found that my envelope filter sounded nicer when put into the loop.

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:51 pm

I run trem, delay, and plate reverb through the effects loop and drive, fuzz, and spring reverb through the front end. Really works well for me.