Pearl OD-05 and Gain Pedals with Parametric EQ

Everyone needs a stompbox.
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pearl OD-05 and Gain Pedals with Parametric EQ

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:41 pm

I stumbled across this pedal while looking at BYOC kits and have found myself fairly intrigued by the idea of it. Being able to tune the specifics and width of the midrange seems super useful for a solo boost and I'm sort of surprised more people haven't given it a go.

What do ya'll think? Seems like a pretty cool idea.

And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pearl OD-05 and Gain Pedals with Parametric EQ

Post by Zork » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:15 am

KMA Audio Machines from Berlin build pretty fancy EQs in their drive pedals. The Dead Stag for instance is based on a Big Muff with parametric mids plus treble and bass controls. Wurm is based on a HM-2 and has a 4 band EQ, but you can dial in the center frequencies on the inside with trim pots and dip switches. It's all very cool and the pedals are amazing (...let alone the graphics!) but I sometimes feel a slight option overload when tinkering with my Dead Stag...

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:06 am

Stone Deaf has quite a few pedals with parametric midrange. Most famous is probably their copy of the old Maestro Parametric Distortion Filter. But they also have an overdrive and a muff with a similar circuit.

I currently use an EHX Riddle Qballs for this. It’s really an envelope filter, but you can tune the start and stop points as well as the q. When I’m recording I’ll often use it as a stationary filter to get really squawky tones.

This is also something Queens of the Stone Age have been doing forever., and is such a huge part of their signature sound.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:11 am

It's pretty rad, though, that the Pearl has this feature way before "the age of boutique". The whole series is pretty interresting. I try to snatch the FG-01 flanger and the OC-07 octaver for a good price for quite some time now but they just keep getting more expensive (surprise, surprise...). The chorus is pretty crazy, too.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:11 am

Zork wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:11 am
It's pretty rad, though, that the Pearl has this feature way before "the age of boutique". The whole series is pretty interresting. I try to snatch the FG-01 flanger and the OC-07 octaver for a good price for quite some time now but they just keep getting more expensive (surprise, surprise...). The chorus is pretty crazy, too.
I’ve heard quite a few pedal builders speak highly of this series of Pearl pedals. Especially the analog delay.

It is unfortunate that we’ve lost hidden gem aspect to pedal hunting. The internet has documented every pedal under the sun, and if you search, you can find someone saying it’s their favorite pedal ever, on some forum, somewhere.