Is it just me, or are things getting stupid with the shoegaze pedals?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is it just me, or are things getting stupid with the shoegaze pedals?

Post by cestlamort » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:28 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:20 am
jorri wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:14 am
a pedal that emulates all the sounds of Map Ref. 41°N 93°W
Always dreamed of those Bruce Gilbert tones, but I suspect a few, including the above, might have been sent through some of Mike Thorne's synthemasizers.

I do have a secret recipe for the I Am The Fly clang, though. :ph34r:
I'll happily gripe about whatever neo-nu-gaze beaniebabiepogspedalboard revival all day long, but I would totally buy a pedal that did the "happy bees" sound of the MBV "Map Ref" cover in a heartbeat.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:40 pm

i like the following things:
- guitars and guitar pedals and amplifiers.
- the band The Swell Maps.
- the band Wire.
- the band Spacemen 3.
- the band Jesus and the Mary Chain.
- the band My Bloody Valentine.
- the bands Primal Scream and Blur and Elastica.
- a whole lot of other bands.
- guitars and guitar pedals and amplifiers, again.
- young people who like bands and use guitar pedals to try to sound like those bands but then make other kind of close, but different, sorts of sounds and then rule the world for a minute or an hour or for a show or for a record or for a lifetime.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:37 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:09 am
I'm about to get stupid with my shoegaze pedal when it shows up on Wednesday.

It's gonna be all "Souvlarry" and fuck all y'all that don't like it.

how dare you? You could get the same sound with other pedals. Also, you didn’t struggle like other people did to find that sound!

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:28 am

del wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:40 pm
i like the following things:
- guitars and guitar pedals and amplifiers.
- the band The Swell Maps.
- the band Wire.
- the band Spacemen 3.
- the band Jesus and the Mary Chain.
- the band My Bloody Valentine.
- the bands Primal Scream and Blur and Elastica.
- a whole lot of other bands.
- guitars and guitar pedals and amplifiers, again.
- young people who like bands and use guitar pedals to try to sound like those bands but then make other kind of close, but different, sorts of sounds and then rule the world for a minute or an hour or for a show or for a record or for a lifetime.
You know, I like all those things, too!

The OG '80s shoegaze bands were using a lot of gear designed for heavy metal, after all.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:31 am

Unpopular opinion (and not trolling) : I really like Britpop and it's my main music influence
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:44 am

Arthon wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:31 am
Unpopular opinion (and not trolling) : I really like Britpop and it's my main music influence
The Sun is Often Out by Longpigs is in my top 5 albums of all time.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:10 am

In "full circle", while it's not exactly straight Britpop, I could definitely see some of these so-called "shoegaze" pedals (tools don't need to be boxed in) applied to an album like Blur's S/T and coming up with some wild stuff.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:52 am

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:44 am
Arthon wrote:
Gonna listen to it. Never heard of Longpigs before
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:49 am

Arthon wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:52 am
sal paradise wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:44 am
Arthon wrote:
Gonna listen to it. Never heard of Longpigs before
Oh, well I’d like to say it’ll change your life. Plenty of reverb on that album, too.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:25 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:21 am
I think it's neither fair nor accurate to label the likes of Blur or, especially, Pulp as 'Britpop' as both preceded that A&R onslaught of signing all things Camden on the back of :k Cool Britannia :k .
I saw Blur on their first American tour, mainly because Slowdive was opening, but I did own their first album. At the time, I remember them being lumped in with the “baggy” crowd. I don’t think the idea of Britpop existed at that point.
Thread killer

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:35 pm

panoramic wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:19 am
I feel SEEN here dude. I definitely spent my youth singing/making noise in SY sounding black flag ripping off bands and being chased by jock kids calling me skatef*g all the live long day and while I feel like a lot of today is a vast departure from our youth on that level (PRAISE JAH) i see they are re-enacting our musical vibe pretty heavily, then again we were also re-enacting a musical vibe. It's all a snake eating it's own tail.
I digress...back to the question at hand, why do these companies pump out these shoegaze centric pedals? where do these ambient sound maker machines go to? WORSHIP GUITARISTS and I have no fucking idea why, but they buy up all of this shit. I have 18 pedals and feel like I am an asshole for having that many, I routinely see people with like hundreds of pedals in the groups i am in/haunt on facebook. Almost all of those people are worship guitarists or cover band guys.
I was lucky in that I was friends with the jocks at my school in elementary school. By junior high we didn’t hang out together anymore, but we were still friendly. So in elementary school, it was just the adult men at the mall who routinely threatened me. Funny thing, in junior high, kids from a bunch of elementary schools were thrown together, and it was the 8th grade punk crew who gave me the most shit. Lucky again, I had an older sister that they were into, so once they figured out she was my sister, they mostly chilled out. Two of those guys went on to form Face Reality in high school, which basically morphed into famous punk band The Candy Snatchers.

I did notice a bunch of worship guitarist stuff when I went deep on the OBNE Dark Star. I thought there must have been some weird search term crossover/mistake, but I guess not!
Thread killer

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:58 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:09 am
I'm about to get stupid with my shoegaze pedal when it shows up on Wednesday.

It's gonna be all "Souvlarry" and fuck all y'all that don't like it.
Well as long as you call it The Larry Davidstown Massacre that's fine

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:12 am

Arthon wrote:
Yeah, I like a few of the bands that got lumped in with that 'movement' too. ;)

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:42 am

blacktiger wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:25 pm
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:21 am
I think it's neither fair nor accurate to label the likes of Blur or, especially, Pulp as 'Britpop' as both preceded that A&R onslaught of signing all things Camden on the back of :k Cool Britannia :k .
I saw Blur on their first American tour, mainly because Slowdive was opening, but I did own their first album. At the time, I remember them being lumped in with the “baggy” crowd. I don’t think the idea of Britpop existed at that point.
True. I think the best things happen at those points of change where labels are being shaken off but new ones haven't been invented yet. If I remember correctly, Sugarcubes, Pale Saints, Throwing Muses, Pixies, Cocteaus, PJ Harvey and Ultra Vivid Scene all fell through those gaps without any obvious templates. On the whole, there aren't that many really original artists (like Polly Harvey, Beefheart or Shields) in any field at any one time.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:49 am

blacktiger wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:35 pm
panoramic wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:19 am
I feel SEEN here dude. I definitely spent my youth singing/making noise in SY sounding black flag ripping off bands and being chased by jock kids calling me skatef*g all the live long day and while I feel like a lot of today is a vast departure from our youth on that level (PRAISE JAH) i see they are re-enacting our musical vibe pretty heavily, then again we were also re-enacting a musical vibe. It's all a snake eating it's own tail.
I digress...back to the question at hand, why do these companies pump out these shoegaze centric pedals? where do these ambient sound maker machines go to? WORSHIP GUITARISTS and I have no fucking idea why, but they buy up all of this shit. I have 18 pedals and feel like I am an asshole for having that many, I routinely see people with like hundreds of pedals in the groups i am in/haunt on facebook. Almost all of those people are worship guitarists or cover band guys.
I was lucky in that I was friends with the jocks at my school in elementary school. By junior high we didn’t hang out together anymore, but we were still friendly. So in elementary school, it was just the adult men at the mall who routinely threatened me. Funny thing, in junior high, kids from a bunch of elementary schools were thrown together, and it was the 8th grade punk crew who gave me the most shit. Lucky again, I had an older sister that they were into, so once they figured out she was my sister, they mostly chilled out. Two of those guys went on to form Face Reality in high school, which basically morphed into famous punk band The Candy Snatchers.

I did notice a bunch of worship guitarist stuff when I went deep on the OBNE Dark Star. I thought there must have been some weird search term crossover/mistake, but I guess not!
I had skinheads on my shit from 13-20 years old, i couldn't shake them for the life of me, I hot one of them with the receiver of payphone at the mall one day and they just united to attack me after that for years and years. In the end i never really got beat down by them but they would show up at the shittiest times.
The Jock thing was MOST pervasive, i would encounter large groups of them literally everyday and have to run. It got old really fast but then I realized if I went and skated other towns I would be able to avoid them and so that's how I handled it.
BACK TO WORSHIP AMBIENT DUDES:
there are literally a billion of these guys and they all have extensive guitar set ups featuring more pedals in dollar value than my entire gear hoard. I guess xtians get a deal at G or something?
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.