Is it just me, or are things getting stupid with the shoegaze pedals?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is it just me, or are things getting stupid with the shoegaze pedals?

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:15 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:58 pm
Can we have a Larrygaze pun thread?
Larrylei by the Cocteau Twins (vocals Larry Frasier)
PinkshinyultraLarry
Bowlarry Electric
Feed me with your Larry
Pyglarryon

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:26 pm

Larrilei! That's fucking great.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:08 am

shoe gaze was my favorite thing about the early 90's, but for some reason, its revival, even though I play music that could be considered in that sonic family, has killed it for me. The pedals, but particularly the come lately fans who are obsessed with the pedals and don't understand anything else, annoy the shit out of me. 30 years ago, the pedals were a means to an end, nowadays, they seem to think that the pedals are the end, that all you need is a pedal that makes a good vacuum sound and you're a shoegaze.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:12 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:08 am
shoe gaze was my favorite thing about the early 90's, but for some reason, its revival, even though I play music that could be considered in that sonic family, has killed it for me. The pedals, but particularly the come lately fans who are obsessed with the pedals and don't understand anything else, annoy the shit out of me. 30 years ago, the pedals were a means to an end, nowadays, they seem to think that the pedals are the end, that all you need is a pedal that makes a good vacuum sound and you're a shoegaze.
yes to all. also the memes that go with it perhaps too (although i can get off social media or not join 'shoegaze groups' to avoid that). Or the walking wikipedias about what's essentially a small niche of bands/pedals at gigs..aaand i was quite late to it, i mean 2005, always thought it needed another run so that there was more material to listen to, but only if it weren't so....retrospective.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:40 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
I feel this way about a lot of revival 77-style punk and 79-style post punk. Both genres of music I love that have been a big influence on me, but the slavish devotion to the sounds and fashion for both coupled with some wholly unoriginal songwriting leaves me totally unmoved by it. It sucks because these people and I probably have identical record collections, but the obsession with capturing the "Way back when" makes it totally useless to a modern audience
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:30 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:40 am
Lost In Autumn wrote:
I feel this way about a lot of revival 77-style punk and 79-style post punk. Both genres of music I love that have been a big influence on me, but the slavish devotion to the sounds and fashion for both coupled with some wholly unoriginal songwriting leaves me totally unmoved by it. It sucks because these people and I probably have identical record collections, but the obsession with capturing the "Way back when" makes it totally useless to a modern audience
Yes and yes.