Tim/Timmy Transparent OD type
5%
Other
13%

Total votes: 220

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What is the OSG dirt of choice? (Whoops, reset results!)

Post by jorri » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:32 am

A little too 'other' perhaps. Hudson broadcast, my own fuzz design which has some resemblance to changing all the components of a fuzz face with eq until its not a ff..but a superfuzz and rat do other specific things aren't my favourite, especially my rat is used as treble booster and superfuzz mostly stacked for the octave on leads.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:51 am

I mainly use the tape saturation drive on my Strymon Deco. For an additional push I add something in front - I recently got a Maxon 0D-9 after somehow never having a tubescreamer before, and it has its place on my board at present. Blues Driver (basic version) and DOD Looking Glass come and go, as well as a self-built Klone and kit Broadcast. I clearly lack consistency!
All the cheeses....

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:13 am

Back when I played an AC4, a Zendrive copy was my go-to dirt pedal (which is in the TS family I guess?!). After that a Blackstar HT Drive, which is a tube overdrive pedal / preamp.
These days I just use amp gain in my Kemper.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kingmedicine » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:19 am

A Rat and a Hotcake are the only two absolutes on any of my boards these days. If there is a 3rd, I’ll sometimes add a “transparent”-style OD.

With smaller amps, I could probably get away with just the Hotcake and with larger amps just the Rat would be fine.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:32 am

I'm surprised it took that many replies before a Hotcake was mentioned ;D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:17 am

All of my drive needs come from either a klon-type device or a FuzzWar.
I do keep a TS, rat, and a couple k type variants around for fun, (as well as a bunch of fuzzes) but they don’t see regular use.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:20 am

kingmedicine wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:19 am
A Rat and a Hotcake are the only two absolutes on any of my boards these days. If there is a 3rd, I’ll sometimes add a “transparent”-style OD.

With smaller amps, I could probably get away with just the Hotcake and with larger amps just the Rat would be fine.
What amps are you using? Is there any truth to the story that Hotcakes are great with Voxes, and a bit flat with Fenders?
All the cheeses....

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:55 am

I feel like this should somehow be cross-referenced with the Board Breakdown Proportions thread.

I immediately selected Muff and hit Submit since that's always been and probably will always be my favorite sound... then I noticed that I was supposed to select all that I actually regularly use, so I added Rat and Tubescreamer.
However, I feel like I should add a footnote to my Tubescreamer selection... I've tried several variants and none of them really worked for me except the Precision Drive. It can be a little finicky to dial in just right, but it's pretty great once you find your sweet spots. I think what makes it work for better for me than other TS' is the "Attack" knob which is actually a rotary that switches through different capacitor values allowing you to control the low-end cut (it also has a noise gate which can be neat too).

Jack

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:59 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:20 am
kingmedicine wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:19 am

What amps are you using? Is there any truth to the story that Hotcakes are great with Voxes, and a bit flat with Fenders?
Hotcakes absolutely excel with Vox amps; it doesn't sound so great with my Marshall SV20. I use a Union Tube & Transistor Tone Druid (hard to get past the name, but...) for even more plexi overdrive.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What is the OSG dirt family of choice?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:45 am

i voted rat and klon because that's mainly what i use in TFS. also my custom boost but that's a different beast entirely.

i feel like between those 3, i can get all the dirt i need.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:53 am

I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:50 pm

I’ve done a deep dive on fuzz recently and discovered that I have a preference for Tone Benders. Between the various versions (1, 1.5, 2, and 3), they cover pretty much all the ground I need them to. For cleaner sounds, I lean towards treble boosters and Klon klones. I love what other people do with Fuzz Faces and Muffs, but they don’t really work for what I’m going for (whatever the hell that is - I know it when I hear it).
Thread killer

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:58 pm

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:20 am
Is there any truth to the story that Hotcakes are great with Voxes, and a bit flat with Fenders?
This became 'internet conventional wisdom' at some point but seems to mostly be people parroting things they've heard elsewhere (or blaming the equipment because they can't make it sound good). There was also the myth they were designed specifically to be used with AC30s.

My Hotcake always sounds/sounded great into big Fender amps and was the only distortion/overdrive I used with my setup for many years when first starting out. Certainly not 'flat', whatever that means.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:28 pm

RAT, Muff, Superfuzz, ToneBender.

I guess, obviously, my choices vary in a band or solo context.

I absolutely adore the classic 2 options of a SuperFuzz pedal, particularly the woolier, heavy-as-fuck position but it would become very unusable in a 4-piece band context, getting totally lost in the mix. I'd say the same about my ToneBender. Such a great pedal, if only it stood out more.
The distortion on my Vox Ultrasonic (which is basically a silicon Fuzz Face) stood out better, maybe due to its slightly more piercing, nasal tone. This is accentuated further when you kick in the Treble Boost.
I guess the pedal that always came out on top (and would never leave my board, if I had one!) is the ProCo RAT. That little indestructible black box of joy can do a number of things very, very well & still sit beautifully in a band dynamic.

EDIT - I should also add that I was never the lead player in the band. If I had been I dare say the old school Fuzzes would've come out on top.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:11 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:28 pm
I guess the pedal that always came out on top (and would never leave my board, if I had one!) is the ProCo RAT. That little indestructible black box of joy can do a number of things very, very well & still sit beautifully in a band dynamic.
It also has the amazing ability to make even the shittiest amp sound at least decent.
I love my Rat.

And I like my Klon clone (Tumnus), but I think that new MXR Duke pedal might replace it as soon as I’m less broke. Also very much enjoying the DBA Germanium Filter, now that I finally figured out how to tame that beast. I tried two TS-based pedals; Jam Lucydreamer and EQD Plumes and figured out I just don’t get along with anything TS-based. Rats are far better for distortion to my ears, and I like a more “transparent” overdrive. Weirdly, I never tried a muff. I had a Marshall Shredmaster, Boss OS-2 and OD-3 many years ago. Not bad, not great, all three of them. The OD-3 was probably best of those. The Shredmaster, from what I remember, was just alright (it's no Rat, unfortunately). The SubDecay Liquid Sunshine mkII was cool too, before it broke, but it coloured my sound too much for my liking.
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.