Built my own pedalboard

Everyone needs a stompbox.
rivir
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Built my own pedalboard

Post by rivir » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:43 am

So, I went from Metal Zone to full pedalboard real quick, and this is making me not only enjoy playing my guitars more, but also more frequently, and more creatively. Especially the looper - wish I had gotten one a decade or two ago!

Once I had a few pedals, I was daisy-chaining them and getting tons of noise, and the floor was a mess. So I decided to build my own board, using my 3D printer and some oak planks. I whipped up the left and right feet easily enough, and they fit perfectly. The holes are nice for running cables through, saving plastic, and adding strength (relative to having fairly low infill, otherwise).

If I reprint them someday for some reason, I'd increase the step up height slightly, just so it's easier to fit patch cables through (barely able to at this current height). I'd also consider printing them completely in TPU (the stuff I have would still be stiff enough, I think, yet have a slight bit of flex if pedals were pressed too hard, and would be anti-slip as well). I might've also redesigned them a bit, so that the top of the feet is flush to the top of the wood, giving an extra ~inch per side of pedal space, but it's really fine how it is. Doesn't really slip around the floor much, even with no rubber added for grip, on account of how heavy it all is. Drilling the screw holes was an experience... I never drilled into oak before, and ended up breaking three drill bits.

Anyhow, as it is now, it's ~30 inches wide, about the same as my cab. I could make it smaller if I wanted, and ditch the Mustang pedal(s), which rarely get used anymore.

Signal chain currently goes like:

* Guitar
* Polytune 3
* Metal Zone
* Rat 2
* OD Glove
* California
* Flashback 2
* Hall of Fame 2
* Ditto+
* Mustang V V2 amp

I'm pretty happy with it, except for the Metal Zone. I want to replace it with an EHX Nano Metal Muff. The Joyo California I use mostly with my Jaguar to play Nirvana stuff once in a while. I'm not using the stereo capabilities of the Flashback or Hall of Fame, but I may experiment with using one channel at the front of the chain, and the other channel at the end, just to see how it sounds. The Ditto+ I mostly use as an ideapad (hence why it's last in the chain), and since it's not stereo, that's why nothing is in my amp's [stereo] effects loop. The only other thing I am considering at this time is a compressor or clean boost, to help level out volume differences from my clean and dirty tones. Or maybe a second OD Glove, because I have two hands, and that's a fantastic pedal for the cash, and could be used as a cleaner boost with the 18V switch.

Anyway, here's some pics:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Built my own pedalboard

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:32 am

That's great!! I LOVE DIY pedalboards!!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:42 pm

Not only is that a great looking pedalboard, but also a great smattering of functional FX that cover such a huge amount of sonic ground. You have expanded in exactly the right direction.

Bravo 👏

DIY boards are always the best. I own a few bought ones, and have a pile in the attic of old homemade ones but my daily drivers are DIY-affairs and I love them. Building boards is as much a hobby to me as collecting pedals...I find it immensely therapeutic running cables and zipties.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

rivir
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rivir » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:14 am

Thanks for checking it out and replying!

I actually just got a line on a second-hand OD Glove for less than half price of new, so I guess I'm gonna have two Gloves after all! lol

I posted my 3D print design on Thingiverse but it didn't seem to show up in searches, so I just reposted it. OpenSCAD source included, in case anyone is interested in tweaking it and building their own. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5446950

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:19 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:42 pm
I find it immensely therapeutic running cables and zipties.
Fuck yes :? :-*

rivir wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:14 am
I posted my 3D print design on Thingiverse but it didn't seem to show up in searches, so I just reposted it. OpenSCAD source included, in case anyone is interested in tweaking it and building their own. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5446950
Dude! I just realized that those ends were 3D-printed! I missed reading that in your original post :D That is SO cool! Thanks for posting that!!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

rivir
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rivir » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:56 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:19 am
Dude! I just realized that those ends were 3D-printed! I missed reading that in your original post :D That is SO cool! Thanks for posting that!!!
Hah, nice. Yeah, if I didn't have a 3D printer, I probably would have just bought the large XPND board. :P But I was just browsing on Thingiverse and saw someone do something similar (much smaller board, single row), and decided that would be a fun project. And since I'm a programmer, I used OpenSCAD to whip up my own version, with two rows and a lift, etc. It's basically exactly how I wanted it to be! It's been a great additional hobby, and super useful, to have a 3D printer (or two...). I've printed my own neck shims (also on my Thingiverse profile), and just the other day, I used TPU to print a little grommet type piece I designed to fit precisely in my dryer door to hold it shut, as the original piece somehow disappeared and we were taping the door closed, lol.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:52 am

This is super cool and clever. You could probably even add on a section by printing a connector piece. Great job!
Doug
@dpcannafax