PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Note Definition with a Fuzz Face?

Post by blacktiger » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:36 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm
blacktiger wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:18 pm
I was planning on selling whichever fuzz is working for me the least, but I had the London Fuzz, Tone Bender MK 3 clone, and Big Muff all out yesterday and was digging them all for different reasons. I guess this is how you turn into a fuzz freak…
Don't sell. Every fuzz is kinda unique in it's own way, that's how you end up with piles of boxes like these...

Impressive! I did let the Torn’s Peaker go. It was very cool, but just didn’t work for me. I also recently had a Super Unpleasant Companion, which was an amazing fuzz, but also just didn’t work for me. As great as those fuzzes sound when Poison Ivy or the JAMC are using them, they just don’t really work for me. I actually owned an original Super Fuzz in the ‘90s, and the SUC nailed that sound, but even the original I didn’t use much because it just didn’t suit the sound I was after.
Thread killer

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:50 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:52 pm
del wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:40 am
And I wholeheartedly agree that by adding bias and tone controls, the fuzz face circuit can be adjusted to hit lots of different fuzz styles from creamy to spitting.
And then we go back around to the Zvex Fuzz Factory. Not a complaint, I have several.
Ha! Its so true. And you'll find in my history of posts a disdain for pedals with too many knobs, yet here I am contradicting myself.

I think with the fuzz face, there is just so MUCH available to electric guitar and bass (and organ and synth and vox and...) players. In the end, I absolutely love the classic two knob smiley. Mercy. My JHF1 is untouchable. It roars. And, truth be told, if I need to adjust that sound, I stack it with another drive or different fuzz and don't worry about knob fiddling. Whew. I talked myself back to earth. Thanks. TWO KNOBS FOREVER!
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 pm

del wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:50 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:52 pm
del wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:40 am
And I wholeheartedly agree that by adding bias and tone controls, the fuzz face circuit can be adjusted to hit lots of different fuzz styles from creamy to spitting.
And then we go back around to the Zvex Fuzz Factory. Not a complaint, I have several.
Ha! Its so true. And you'll find in my history of posts a disdain for pedals with too many knobs, yet here I am contradicting myself.

I think with the fuzz face, there is just so MUCH available to electric guitar and bass (and organ and synth and vox and...) players. In the end, I absolutely love the classic two knob smiley. Mercy. My JHF1 is untouchable. It roars. And, truth be told, if I need to adjust that sound, I stack it with another drive or different fuzz and don't worry about knob fiddling. Whew. I talked myself back to earth. Thanks. TWO KNOBS FOREVER!
2 knobs? Pffft. Have I got the fuzz for you!

Don't let it's modesty fool you, it's way more flexible than it has any right to be and it's a monster ;)

She/Her

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:26 am

hulakatt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 pm
2 knobs? Pffft. Have I got the fuzz for you!

Don't let it's modesty fool you, it's way more flexible than it has any right to be and it's a monster ;)

I built one of these a few months ago influenced by our friend hulakatt here, and that statement is 100% true. Less bass and more mids, but still built like a Fuzz Face circuit.

It's a beast, and it's never needed a knob. It and a similar variant (Vox Distortion Booster V2) have been my most-used fuzzes ever since.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:44 am

I kinda wish Tracy Sands and Vintage Technologies had received the attention they deserve, those pedals really are something special.
She/Her

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:20 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:44 am
I kinda wish Tracy Sands and Vintage Technologies had received the attention they deserve, those pedals really are something special.
Reverb has some decades-old (“vintage”) used Orange Sunshines at high prices, but they’re still being made and new ones aren’t out-of-this-world pricey at all. They sound pretty great - and there’s a JHS video where one is stacked with a green ringer (also no knob) and it’s a stunner. Defined notes, for sure. Plus that simple graphic makes the pedal a charmer to look at, too. Hmm… <checks bank account>
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:37 pm

Yeah, I bought mine on Reverb, brand new, directly from Traci and, at that time, it was the cheapest one listed. I think I paid $150?
She/Her

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:19 am

del wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:20 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:44 am
Reverb has some decades-old (“vintage”) used Orange Sunshines at high prices, but they’re still being made and new ones aren’t out-of-this-world pricey at all. They sound pretty great - and there’s a JHS video where one is stacked with a green ringer (also no knob) and it’s a stunner. Defined notes, for sure. Plus that simple graphic makes the pedal a charmer to look at, too. Hmm… <checks bank account>
And, Del, I notice you've got Spacemen 3 in your sig, so I'd be remiss as a fellow space cadet if I didn't point out that the Orange Sunshine, based on that Vox Distortion Booster, is pretty close if not the same fuzz as what Sonic Boom had in his Vox guitar.

Just sayin'.

Edit: sorry to plug my own stuff, but here's a demo I did recently with the Vox series. The Orange Sunshine into a clean Fender-style amp sim is the guitar track on the verses. V2 is the chorus, V3 on the outro chorus. All basically Fuzz Face circuits.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Lo9v9

I realize this is a Fuzz Face thread, but I built these after some Fuzz Faces to compare different variants of the basic circuit, and I'm impressed at how it can be tweaked. Maybe a middle ground would work good for you