Anyone else absolutely despise internal trimpots/ switches?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else absolutely despise internal trimpots/ switches?

Post by jorri » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:24 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:43 am
Yeah, interestingly it seems as though we may be converging on a similar conclusion from different angles!

I’d say, from my perspective:

Trimmers inside for calibration: completely reasonable!

Trimmers inside to allow users to personalize their pedal: well-intentioned, but seldom good in practice.

Just to prove myself full of contradictions—I have a Malekko Omicron fuzz. It’s tiny, so they put the “all mids/no mids” switch from the Superfuzz on the inside. I really wish they had found a way to put it on the outside instead.
Weirdly, i confess i was looking at the Omicron thinking that might be neat as its got a middle position and my DIY superfuzz is currently only on "all mids" as that is more audible and it goes into a scooped fuzz for that sound (and more audible in mix) But reminded that i might take the back off, place upside-down etc...i think i might change it when recording and things, so would be nice on top (sometimes i want white noise!)

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:53 pm

Calibration stuff should absolutely be inside, but functional options (functionality) shouldn’t require a screwdriver. I am currently annoyed by the Strymon dig having the mono/stereo input option inside (a jumper) rather than just a switch (they’ve addressed this on the new version).
But the endless possibilities of controls that only have a tiny usable range, nah. Just gets into the fuzz factory “most settings sound like Velcro barfing” realm.

Tangent: I also propose that all digital pedals with a screen should have a tuner.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:05 am

cestlamort wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:53 pm
Tangent: I also propose that all digital pedals with a screen should have a tuner.
!!!

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:14 am

Not sure about needing a tuner but big digital pedals that have all these shift button hold controls, tempo divisions, and 'hidden' button combo option should probably just have some kind of screen readout even if a basic LED letter letter display (and possibly even basic navigation control for a menu- that depends i guess)

rivir
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rivir » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:48 am

The internal 9/18V switch is the ONLY downside to the EHX OD Glove. I like both sounds, for different purposes.
Oh well, I'll just have to get a second one.