Cheaper alternative to Hizumitas/Muff clones?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cheaper alternative to Hizumitas/Muff clones?

Post by Dollywitch » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:30 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:06 pm
That explains the difference in the high end and sounds like a relatively easy mod.
That's the typical Elk Sustainar though - the Hizumitas is different, it has this unique almost "modern metal" voicing.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:56 pm

From my research, the Ram’s Head Muff has better string articulation than other Muff iterations, and if Wata’s Elk is from ‘73, there is a good chance that’s the circuit it’s based on. There is a current EHX Ram’s Head that retails around $100 and can be found used around $70. Might be worth looking into…
Thread killer

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:39 pm

I'm thinking of getting the Biyang Fuzzstar now, which is based on the Ram's Head. It sounds about the best of the affordable muffs to be and the extra modes are cool too.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:30 pm

I just got an Ibanez FZMINI/850 Fuzz, which is a miniaturised version of a Ram's Head clone. I'm no expert on Muff versions, but you might want to check it out as well. It costs 88 € here at the moment.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:43 am

Take a look at the SUF Sonic Generator? It's pretty doomy and like 2 fuzzes running in parallel. IIRC, it is muff based. It is also extremely awesome!

The Does It Doom fuzz pedals are pretty amazing too and EQ'd for more doom stuff. I have a few and I'm very happy with them. The one DID fuzz is based on the Colorsound 1K Fuzz circuit and that turned me on to the Colorsound unit which is more Fuzz Face but bigger sounding.
She/Her

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:48 am

I don't have many pedals, but Big Muffs are definitely my most-horded type.
I haven't tried an EarthQuaker Devices Hizumitas, but I really want to.
My Wren & Cuff White Elk is probably my favorite... no idea if it's just a build of the Elk Big Muff Sustainar circuit trace from KitRae's site, or if it has other tweaks (besides the "Creamy" switch I had them add; which itself probably just lifts some emitter resistors, but again not completely certain).
Have always wanted to compare an actual circuit trace (and values measurement) of a W&C White Elk to an actual circuit trace (and values measurement) of an EQD Hizumitas.
For a really "doomy" sounding Muff-alike, I've always wanted to try a Blackhawk Balrog.

Jack

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:27 am

Dollywitch wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:47 am
Like I said - I'm looking for a Fuzzy distortion. I have enough actual fuzzes - Joyo Voodoo Octave, Zvex Fuzz Factory, MXR Blue Box, Devi Ever Soda Meiser, Devi Ever Disaster Fuzz Clone, even a Fender Blender Clone that I've misplaced.

My ideal Muff type fuzz would probably have a clean control though - shoving it into an overdriven amp so you get that glassy texture that's really good for Shoegaze. My Zoom G1xFour has a clean blend BIg Muff model and it's great.

One of the reasons I'd say the Big Muff tends to be more fuzz than distortion is that most models don't have a lot of string articulation - it tends to filter out the high end going in meaning it's hard to get a Big Muff tone to sound like a "guitar" tone. I could be wrong but I think the Elk Sustainiac, particularly Wata's, did less of that which is why it sounds like a more true distortion. The problem with that is then you have to tame the top end at the end. Pedals like RATs are known for getting very bright but have the filter control(and get fatter with the gain turned up). I think it was a design issue they struggled with back in the day w/solid state esp. silicon components but i could be wrong.

I think I want a pedal to sound like a broken Orange amp with some Big Muff signal blended in.
I am biased, but it sound like the Reuss Plasmatron would fit the bill. It runs a Danelectro Fab Tone distortion circuit in parallel with an Opamp Big Muff circuit, allowing you to blend and balance the two. It's the Stuart Braithwaite (Mogwai) signature pedal, but is doesn't flash the fact, so you can use it without labeling yourself as a Mogwai fan.

Alternatively the Subsonic Why, which runs overdrive, big muff (triangle) AND clean sound in parallel. It's made for bass but can be preset for guitar via DIP switches inside. This is a signature pedal for a local bass star, and flashes it in a more obvious way ..

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:17 am

I shop in the "Affordaboard" aisle and get the same "buzz" from testing the range of options out there in the $25 price point as in the $250 price point -- but can try a whole slew of them. And isn't that the whole pedal game anyway? Trying out new flavors from time to time to spice up the playing?

My current Fuzz is an Azur 303, outside of the scratch build Fuzz Face I did a while back.

Here's a good youtube channel for delving into low cost options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSg38qIsBF0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQOdXRHxuk

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:58 am

Yeah, rolling your own is usually a good, cheaper alternative. If you start really digging into one circuit, you can learn a lot and tweak til your heart's content. The muff is a pretty complex circuit to start with though but fuzzes are fun to mess with!
She/Her