Does anyone have a Keeley Realizer Reverb? Thoughts?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
nightgolf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Does anyone have a Keeley Realizer Reverb? Thoughts?

Post by nightgolf » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:56 am

So I have a digiverb since the RV-7 went astronomically expensive, and while the reverse is pretty good I still feel like i'm chasing. For a long time I've been looking at the Keeley Loomer which is a gnarly fuzz on one side and basically this Realizer that they made a standalone on the other.

I've heard conflicting things - namely that the Loomer has the better reverb sounds, but i love my op-amp big muff right now and just want to add the reverb part.

Any reviews or info would be KILLER. Thanks homies.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does anyone have a Keeley Realizer Reverb? Thoughts?

Post by Tafarel » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:30 am

I had the Loomer and I did like the reverb side of it. I was not a fan of the fuzz side at all, but then I don't really use fuzz at all. However, the real estate it took up made me sell it on once I got the Realizer.

Hmm... what to say? The Realizer was similar to the reverb on the Loomer, but it was NOT an exact match (maybe something was wrong with mine?) I contacted Keeley and they were extremely slow about getting back to me. They told me I could send my Realizer in so they could take a look at it. However, it would cost me $35? I'd already paid a pretty penny for this used pedal and didn't want to spend any more on it. I sold it on for more than I paid for it. I also advised in my listing that I didn't care for the sound of it and YMMV.

I ended up getting an Eventide Blackhole pedal that does pretty much what I wanted out of the Loomer/Realizer.

I know I am swimming upstream here, but I've sold all of Keeley pedals -- I think I had seven or eight of them. My gripe with Keeley pedals is that they (usually) do one thing really well, but they have other modes on them that I really don't care for.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:33 am

One addendum: if you're looking for an emulation of the soft focus patch from the Yamaha FX-500 that Slowdive used on Souvlaki, the Realizer will get you close, but that's all. I have an FX-500 and the Realizer is small beer compared to the Yamaha, in my opinion.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:32 am

Tafarel wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:33 am
One addendum: if you're looking for an emulation of the soft focus patch from the Yamaha FX-500 that Slowdive used on Souvlaki, the Realizer will get you close, but that's all. I have an FX-500 and the Realizer is small beer compared to the Yamaha, in my opinion.
I felt the same about the Loomer. It just doesn’t compare to the FX500 for that sound. Same ballpark, but obstructed view seats (at best). And mono doesn’t compare to stereo in the least.

I haven’t used the dedicated pedal but the Blackhole on the H9 is lovely.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:33 am

cestlamort wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:32 am
Tafarel wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:33 am
I felt the same about the Loomer. It just doesn’t compare to the FX500 for that sound. Same ballpark, but obstructed view seats (at best). And mono doesn’t compare to stereo in the least.

I haven’t used the dedicated pedal but the Blackhole on the H9 is lovely.
Yeah, I neglected to mention that the Loomer didn't really meet my expectations to replace the FX-500.

ctu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ctu » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:49 am

I'm not familiar with Realizer, but if you are looking for RV-7 Reverse alternative/replacement, Zoom MS-70CDR is quite good, especially for the price. It also has a ton of other useful (and useless) effects. I bought one 6 months ago and I prefer it to Digiverb reverse setting and even Hazarai multi-tap delay, though Hazarai is different so not really a direct comparison.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:57 am

I would rather have a Slö. A different shoegaze flavor I know, but yeah.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:31 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:57 am
I would rather have a Slö. A different shoegaze flavor I know, but yeah.
Slö is good. I actually used to Loomer reverb and the slö stacked.

Anyway, I dig the Loomers verb. Even if it is a bit murky. It’s part of my sound right now. With that said, I can’t hardly jive with the fuzz side of the pedal.

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:09 am

I really dig the Loomer for the MBV setting. The CDR-70 can get a similar sound, but there's something about the pre-delay on the CDR that kept me from really loving it. Put another way: it would do the reverse gate thing, but because of the fixed pre-delay (or the lower limit of that control; I can't really remember what it had), it wasn't responding in the way that I was used to if I actually wanted to play it live as a part and not just gaze away. The Loomer acts more like my SPX90. Your mileage may vary, of course. Two of my friends are all in on the CDR and have multiples of them.

My friend has a Loomer and Realizer; he A/B'd them and found them to be different. I think he said the Realizer was noticeably brighter?

EDIT:

I think the fuzz is cool on the Loomer as well; it's great for demos to have an all in one pedal for sketching ideas.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:36 am

I use a Context v2, Hazarai, Space. I may have gone overboard on reversey / shoegaze reverbs (included a zoom ms50g which is neat, and i have tried some yamaha equipment with supposedly same fz)

So i got the context for the gate setting as Shields was using it, though its forward+optional ducker so not quite the same. It would sound amazing if it were true reverse like the zoom.[ Problem is this ducker estimates that but swells up the whole output and is reliant on threshold trigger. Usually this revrev is just...the shape of the reverb and tails ring out---but it does make me ask why i need it 'reverse' anyway. Probably not !?]

Context does a better soft focus/the other Slowdive big sound well. Finally found a good mbv-ISH setting on the eventide's Blackhole algorythm so i thats my favourite but hard to find/dial. I have had it since 2012 and for some reason never dialed that in. Mangleverb is the other algo for that too.
--kind of the opposite to expected since Context does the regular "big" stuff now.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:43 am

jorri wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:36 am
Context does a better soft focus/the other Slowdive big sound well. Finally found a good mbv-ISH setting on the eventide's Blackhole algorythm so i thats my favourite but hard to find/dial. I have had it since 2012 and for some reason never dialed that in. Mangleverb is the other algo for that too.
--kind of the opposite to expected since Context does the regular "big" stuff now.
I don't suppose you could share your Blackhole settings for the soft focus?

Thanks.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:17 am

Tafarel wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:43 am
jorri wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:36 am
I don't suppose you could share your Blackhole settings for the soft focus?

Thanks.
Its for Reverse Reverb. Blackhole won't do that : use Modechoverb. I had an attempt on there that's not particularly close but its still a cool chorus-verb-delay i have used quite a bit in a similar vein. I use Context v2 grain mode for sof5t focusy sounds (based on ursa minor space station rack thing)

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:22 am

I had the Realizer and the MS7-CDR both.
I don't have either one any longer.

The Realizer was OK at soft focus. The envelope-controlled vibrato on the reverse never sounded good to me. I get what it was trying to do, but it never really got it right enough. The hall/shimmer was...fine. It's a hall reverb with shimmer.

The CDR was closer on most settings to the FX-500 (I A/B/C-ed the lot), but there were SO MANY patches and SO MANY controls that I found it really overwhelming. It seemed like if I wanted 2 or 3 sounds out of that pedal, I'd need to have 2 or 3 of them each set to a different sound. Switching between patches was not awesome.

I'm currently running a Slo, an Oceans 11, and a Wet (mono) for reverbs. None of them are EXACTLY exactly the sounds, but unless/until I'm trying to do a Slowdive or MBV tribute act, I'm not that fussed by it.

In the end, I liked the Realizer better than the CDR for simplicity alone. The sounds were close enough to each other that--as long as the envelope vibrato doesn't bug you--you could get away with either.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:32 am

I use the old blood rever for my reverse sounds and it does them solid IMHO. I also have a Context version 1 that can nail the Slowdive sounds if you flip on the tails in the hall mode it will go into some serious huge sounding souvlaki type of stuff and the gate with on it with the rever on reverse will throw you into MBV territory easily.
I've watched the demos of the realizer and i prefer the rever based on those, also the rever can oscillate forever if you want to go full on stupid with a pedal this one has all sorts of rabbitholes to jump down.
I currently use the Context as a slap back delay with the REVER on a more middle of the road setting but I can go full creation records whenever.

here's a couple videos of what the context and rever do together
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfXehLRJfhW/

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcRS-4_p-bU/

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbnum8nrRmw/
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.