Vox Distortion Booster (V816, V8161, V8162)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vox Distortion Booster (V816, V8161, V8162)

Post by MrShake » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:43 pm

Success! The layout worked!

Took a few minutes of debugging, but I connected the ground to the board in the wrong spot. But after that, it worked just fine.

Need some time with it, maybe feels more Fuzz Facey, but haven't had time to really compare so I could be delirious. Still resolutely in that V816 family though.

I figure it takes a second person to verify a layout, but I built from the one I sketched out and it worked great.

Will report back after some play time. Thanks for the support, everyone!

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:38 am

Fresh morning, fresh ears.

So, I guess I'm done with this project? It's been a fun ride to learn from. I've learned I really love this Vox-y fuzz character, middy and aggressive, but more full bodied than a Fuzzrite. Not perfect for everything, but if you play full-fuzz rhythm in a garage punk band, it's the kind of thing that works well.

Initial thoughts:

V816 ("straight line" version) - I dig it. My main amp's in the shop, and my second isn't great for gauging how it's hitting the preamp, so I'll have to check more. That said, the original circuit has a volume drop and fantastic tonal character. If you put in the Orange Sunshine's 470 ohm resistor you get a nice volume boost. The original version works great as a "boost" mode to the V8161, giving it a weird, pinched, ring moddy honk/buzz when feeding the V8161. The OS Boosted mode, however, doesn't give it the same character as a "double fuzz overload". If you're interested in it on its own, I'd build the OS version, but if you want to build a "Box Of Vox", make it switchable. Sadly, the volume drop of the original recipe is a big strike against permanent board space as-is as a standalone.

V8161 ("T-shaped" version) - Sonically my favorite of the bunch. More treble, sizzlier, really nasty stuff. Still the same kind of thing but with sharper teeth. The original schematic's error that I posted about earlier makes this sound great once adjusted. Seems to be additional circuitry in some taming capacitors and a different output section, I assume to add the volume control, which does little in my current setup. Zero to fuzz, then just different shades from 3-10. Takes the V816 differently at different settings. Ultimately, I want to see if I can get the sound of this with the control of the V8162 by smashing the schematics together. Based on some old photos, I think THIS is the one (at least, one of) that Lou Reed was using around the time of White Light/White Heat. I'd believe it. At initial blush, the treble of this is more Velvets than the V816s Nuggets.

V8162 ("boxy" version) - Seems to have more output than either previous version, but again, my current amp's not the best to judge. (That said, the shared biasing resistor just kept going up as these progressed.) Sonically seems to be more similar to the V816 than the V8161. Tuned lower in the mids, fuller, less sizzly. More 1969 than 1966, but still totally roars. An excellent all-around two-knob fuzz that's sonically related to but different than a Fuzz Face, way less woof and wooliness than even one with the same BC108A transistors.

Speaking of which, I may experiment with the V8162 and try plopping in some BC108Bs to see if I can up the gain without squealing.

I realize this is "basically a Fuzz Face circuit" (in layout, if not spirit), but more than anything I don't know why some boutique builder isn't cranking these out as their "'60s Silicon Special". I'm sure there are similar variants I'm unaware of, but especially the first two versions are a really cool, somewhat unique vibe and I've only come across the Orange Sunshine as a direct "modern" equivalent.

Family Photo:

I just hope anyone interested down the road can use this if they're considering one of these classic early fuzz designs.

[Edited to add that, fwiw, these play better than any other fuzz I own with my beloved but neglected '03 CIJ Mustang. Weak pickups? Who cares?]

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:02 am

Woke up early this morning, panic stuff got me, so I just buried myself in the distraction of writing, recording, and mixing a tune. It helped.

https://soundcloud.com/user-558577580/u ... al_sharing

Verses - V816
Chorus - V8161
Bridge lead - V816+V8161
Last Chorus - stereo V8162s added for boom

All the guitars except the lead in the bridge (extra reverb) and the clean one in the background (through a virtual Vox) are through the same "clean blackpanel" Fender amp sim in GarageBand, with a splash of the spring reverb. All tracks with a Mustang, both pickups on.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people s***ting on other people's creative outlets.

If there's two things I hate, it's f-ing internet guitar demo noodling.

Hope it gets your foot tapping for a minute.
Last edited by MrShake on Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:10 am

MrShake wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:38 am
...I realize this is "basically a Fuzz Face circuit" (in layout, if not spirit), but more than anything I don't know why some boutique builder isn't cranking these out as their "'60s Silicon Special"...
This is basically what you get on a Vox guitar with the built-in "Distortion" circuit - a Silicon Fuzz Face with the added benefit of a Bass/Treble Boost.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.