Chorus Love - PastFx chorus ensemble

Everyone needs a stompbox.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Chorus Love - PastFx chorus ensemble

Post by JVG » Wed May 18, 2022 12:10 am

A little while back I picked up the PastFx Chorus Ensemble, but have held-off raving about it until now, in case I was experiencing honeymoon-period delusions! Having waited, I can comfortably say this pedal is really inspiring me and might just be my new favourite.

It’s unashamedly a copy of the Boss CE1 (which I have never played), and the consensus on YouTube is that it does a very accurate job emulating the old Boss unit. I realise that blatant copies tend to generate emotional discussions, so I’ll leave that to others!

http://www.pastfx.com/index.php/effects ... ble-mn3007

I bought the version with the MN3007 chip, after chatting to the maker and being told there is pretty much no sonic difference between it and the (significantly more expensive) rarer chip.

Until now, my favourite chorus has been the Boss Waza. I did some extensive A/B testing of the Waza and the PastFx units (using true bypass loops), to get an idea of how they compare (with the Waza in CE1 mode, of course). In most settings they are very similar, with the PastFx (in stock mode) having a touch less high-end, and a bit more grit in the midrange due to the preamp. Just like the originals appear to do, this preamp can cause a fair bit of clipping in certain settings, which may or may not be desirable, depending on the application.

I really like the range of switchable options in this pedal; they take it well beyond the capabilities of an original Boss CE1. After playing around with mine, I took advantage of the ‘Depth’ option (a brilliant addition - why wouldn’t anyone want independent depth control of the chorus?), the ‘Pot Mod’ option, and the True Bypass setting. I haven’t activated the Buffer option, as I found that the Pot Mod already brought me enough high end, when switched to 500k.

Combine this with a low noise floor and an aesthetically appealing interface, and it’s a winner for me. Chorus without the cheese!

If I had to complain about anything, it would be nice to have some of the switch options available externally, rather than via internal switches. Particularly the Buffer option and the Pot option, as I might like to vary these at times. Also, putting the input/output jacks on the top would be preferable to the sides, for obvious reasons.

I am not affiliated with PastFx, although I must admit I’m feeling some Aussie Pride supporting a local builder!

Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Chorus Love - PastFx chorus ensemble

Post by Paco » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:26 pm

Never heard about PastFx, pretty impressive roster! I must say I'm intrigued with the Mini, which is just the right size... :ph34r:

I can feel the GAS kicking in.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:01 pm

I had decided I just didn’t like playing with chorus until I heard the CE-1 simulation on a Zoom multieffect. That led me to the PastFX (like the OP’s, a mn3007)and it has stayed on my board. I love how chewy the chorus gets, and the comb filter sound when it’s dialed back is great. The hi/lo gain switch yields a range of sounds, and I probably use the vibrato just as much as the chorus. It takes awhile to get used to the indicator signaling, and it’s annoying having to power it from a non-switching supply. Otherwise, a great pedalboard friendly version of a classic sound.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:06 pm

Congrats! Sounds like a great unit.

I had my Analogman Chorus out for the first time in awhile and was pleasantly reminded of how excellent it sounds. Doubt it'll kick my Retrosonic Flanger off the board anytime soon, but it's a great, similarly high-quality vintage flavored (Small Clone-style vs. CE-1) thing.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:55 pm

This chorus looks and sounds great. I'm currently in the market for a chorus pedal and the mini version of this PastFX Chorus Ensemble would be ideal if it wasn't for the price tag!
I'm looking at a JAM Waterfall and thought that was pricey, but this is a whole step up.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:32 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:55 pm
This chorus looks and sounds great. I'm currently in the market for a chorus pedal and the mini version of this PastFX Chorus Ensemble would be ideal if it wasn't for the price tag!
I'm looking at a JAM Waterfall and thought that was pricey, but this is a whole step up.
The mini 3007 version is AUD $249, which is currently about US $180. That’s a fairly competitive price for what it is.

Note that the PastFx prices on Reverb are much higher than if bought direct from their website.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:49 am

JVG wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:32 am
GreenKnee wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:55 pm
The mini 3007 version is AUD $249, which is currently about US $180. That’s a fairly competitive price for what it is.

Note that the PastFx prices on Reverb are much higher than if bought direct from their website.
Thanks for clarifying this, I should have looked harder. I was on the MN3002 version at a price of $489AUD! :derp:

Now I'm torn between this and a JAM Waterfall...

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:59 pm

Prior to buying mine, I emailed PastFX about the different versions.

Verlie, who runs the show there, was refreshingly candid about it, saying that the mn3002 and mn3007 versions sound the same, but some people like to have the mojo of the 3002 version and are happy to pay more for this.

Anyway, it probably sounds like i’m trying to sell pedals here. I’m not, i just really like mine :)

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:13 am

JVG wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:59 pm
Prior to buying mine, I emailed PastFX about the different versions.

Verlie, who runs the show there, was refreshingly candid about it, saying that the mn3002 and mn3007 versions sound the same, but some people like to have the mojo of the 3002 version and are happy to pay more for this.

Anyway, it probably sounds like i’m trying to sell pedals here. I’m not, i just really like mine :)
How do you find the always-on preamp affects your sound? I already have 3 always on pedals that give me a thick, slightly compressed clean tone and I fear adding something else would spoil where I've got my sound to.
I think I'm leaning towards the JAM Waterfall, I can have a custom painted one made (to match my other JAM pedals) for £229, it sounds killer and is true-bypass which is a plus for my preference.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:51 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:13 am
How do you find the always-on preamp affects your sound? I already have 3 always on pedals that give me a thick, slightly compressed clean tone and I fear adding something else would spoil where I've got my sound to.
I think I'm leaning towards the JAM Waterfall, I can have a custom painted one made (to match my other JAM pedals) for £229, it sounds killer and is true-bypass which is a plus for my preference.
I took advantage of the internal true bypass switch to turn off the preamp when the pedal is off. The preamp sounds great when i’m using the chorus, but i didn’t want it all the time.

The Waterfall looks like a great pedal too, it’s just a different beast.