Ceriatone Centura vs. Klon Centaur vs. Klon KTR: TEST UPLOADED P2

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ceriatone Centura vs. Klon Centaur vs. Klon KTR: watch this space

Post by marqueemoon » Tue May 10, 2022 8:27 am

Be sure to try different goop formulations to see what effect they have on the toanz.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Tue May 10, 2022 8:48 am

I'm interested to hear what you come up with.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Tue May 10, 2022 10:16 am

To be really thorough, wouldn't you need/want to measure every electrical component in the circuit? The tolerance on pots is definitely a reason to focus there, but there's a tolerance on everything that your signal passes through.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue May 10, 2022 10:27 am

peterherman wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:16 am
To be really thorough, wouldn't you need/want to measure every electrical component in the circuit? The tolerance on pots is definitely a reason to focus there, but there's a tolerance on everything that your signal passes through.
Since real Centaurs are built within a set of tolerances, I've got to assume that the circuit should operate essentially as-designed (within a range) as long as all parts are in-tolerance.

I'm accepting a little bit of statistical noise from part tolerances. To me, if the difference between "good" and "bad" examples of a pedal is down to whether parts are toward one end or another of a 2% or even 10% component tolerance, the design is either too fragile (and therefore flawed), or the manufacturer should have used parts whose tolerances are stated in parts-per-million.

Since you never really encounter claims that there are "good" and "bad" Klons, I'm going to assume the circuit will work as-designed with parts that are to spec.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue May 10, 2022 10:31 am

Since my schedule doesn't ease up any time soon, I'm using my one day off today to conduct this test.

All recordings have been made, and now I have to edit it into a video. I only tested two diode types in the Centura.

I've found a couple of surprising results that I didn't entirely suspect.

Let's just say this test just might give both Klon "magic diode true believers" and diode skeptics a little bit of pause in one way or another.

And for a brief spoiler: It seems that the Centura, from early tests, can be set up in at least one way that's pretty much good enough to satisfy me.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Tue May 10, 2022 10:46 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:54 am
Kent wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:01 pm
Potentiometers are some of the least “tight” components that one can buy. This is why one should definitely twist ‘em and ignore one’s eyes whilst following the guidance of our ears. “If it sounds good, it is good” and so forth.
What would be the advantage of doing that when I could measure the resistance between the wiper and each end and seek to match their position as closely as possible?
Not for you; for the 99.9% of folks that will never do so.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue May 10, 2022 12:42 pm

I can't wait to hear your results!
I'm a long time Centura user but as an always on clean boost (gain on zero), so the magic diodes are out of the circuit for my use apparently. The EQ curve and volume boost just make everything sound better to me. I find it cuts off any of the shrill treble frequencies so that even the thinnest guitar tone isn't ice picky or piercing.

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Tue May 10, 2022 2:48 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:27 am
peterherman wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:16 am
Since real Centaurs are built within a set of tolerances, I've got to assume that the circuit should operate essentially as-designed (within a range) as long as all parts are in-tolerance.

I'm accepting a little bit of statistical noise from part tolerances. To me, if the difference between "good" and "bad" examples of a pedal is down to whether parts are toward one end or another of a 2% or even 10% component tolerance, the design is either too fragile (and therefore flawed), or the manufacturer should have used parts whose tolerances are stated in parts-per-million.

Since you never really encounter claims that there are "good" and "bad" Klons, I'm going to assume the circuit will work as-designed with parts that are to spec.
Fair enough! This is why I'm not an engineer. I do appreciate being more rigorous than the standard "I put the knobs in the same place and this one sounds worse" method of shootouts.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue May 10, 2022 3:50 pm

peterherman wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:48 pm
I do appreciate being more rigorous than the standard "I put the knobs in the same place and this one sounds worse" method of shootouts.
Right!

In this case, as much as anything else I'm aware that I will certainly bring cognitive biases, which can and does color perception.

So I'm trying to devise a test that's as rigorous as possible to lay bare any differences that might exist.

If something is subtle enough that I have to squint to convince myself that I hear it, I'm considering it inconsequential.

I'm exporting video now and will upload it momentarily. I'll tease it by saying that the results were somewhat unexpected, pleasantly-surprising, and seem to simultaneously both debunk and reinforce the suspicions of purists as well as skeptics.

The result has quite literally informed what's going on my board for a one-off fly date this weekend.

There are four devices under test: Original Klon, original KTR, Centura (with stock diodes) and the same Centura again, but with some NOS ITT diodes.

Stay tuned....

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue May 10, 2022 6:33 pm

THE TEST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut6yAKQHrEI

My conclusion (don't read if you don't want to be biased)--

In stock trim, the Centura sounds noticeably different from the Klon... but the stock diodes in the Centura sound noticeably different from some "NOS ITT" diodes I found on eBay. With the ITT diodes, the Centura sounds essentially the same (to me) as the Klon.

It also leaves the fewest traces in the (admittedly imperfect*) null test. (*a null test with analog elements will never cancel to zero)

The ITT-equipped Centura is audibly closer (and makes a better null) than my genuine KTR, which is somewhat surprising.

My takeaways:
  • The KTR isn't exactly identical to the original Klon
  • The stock Centura is further still
  • However, swapping in some different diodes can get it impressively close--closer than the KTR
  • different diodes really do make a difference to how the pedal distorts when introducing its own drive
  • The ITT-equipped Centura will be going on my touring board immediately, before my next gig, and the genuine Centaur will sit safely at home (for now)
Would love to hear your impressions

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ceriatone Centura vs. Klon Centaur vs. Klon KTR: TEST UPLOADED P2

Post by Veitchy » Tue May 10, 2022 7:51 pm

I was very, very surprised at how close the modded Centura was to the original. A lot of K-type shootouts seem to allow for granular differences it character of the overdrive, treble and mid response, and headroom for example. Essentially the takeway will be something like "its a great pedal with a bit of it's own character". Your Centura is probably the closest I can recall hearing.

YOu ought to send this to Ceriatone - they ought to offer those diodes as an option.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue May 10, 2022 9:06 pm

I was pretty stunned at how close it came. Those diodes weren’t recommended by anyone that I could find… was just a total random lark to purchase them.

They’re much closer to the originals than the included parts

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue May 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Great video, and refreshingly concise for a YouTube shootout. I agree with your conclusions here.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Wed May 11, 2022 1:06 am

Great video, thanks! I agree with your conclusions as well: the Centura with ITT diodes sounds identical to the original Klon as far as I could tell, while the stock Centura and KTR sound noticeably different. All of them sound good to me though :)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:12 am

That was a great comparison! I read your bias first, but could hear the difference too. Definitely agree that the modded Ceriatone sounded DAMN close.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384