Line 6 DL4 MkII

Everyone needs a stompbox.
CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Line 6 DL4 MkII

Post by CorporateDisguise » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:19 am

I already have all these effects in my HXStomp, but I may still pick this up just for the looper.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:56 pm

I've wanted the original since it came out but never got around to buying one (got an RC20XL and GFS analog delay instead) and I'm guessing that's what will happen with this one. It looks rad though.

I only watched the Minus the Bear demo. I would not likely be able to do what he does with it. It's like when you watch Bob Ross paint, you think, I could do that, but then you try and no, no you can't.

That millimetric is awesome. I wish I could like PRS but I just don't (except for maybe the Al DiMeola rainbow one).

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:40 am

I have already returned mine.

They have kept the same interface, but jammed three times the features into it. I found it to be unwieldy, especially since the new algorithms are... pretty unnecessary at best.

I found adjusting the reverbs to be infuriatingly difficult to adjust - it requires that you use both hands, turn knobs without being able to really hear the changes (since one hand has to hold down the shift, and the other turn the knobs. I found fiddling with it in my living room to be frustrating enough to want to throw it out the window. After fooling with it for less than an hour, I'd already had enough and hated the fucking thing with an entirely unreasonable amount of white hot inchoate rage.

I'm also on a diet, so I'm a little easily frustrated, if somewhat sexier.

So, back it went to the store, with extreme prejudice, and I ordered my RE-202 right away.

On the other hand, my proudly digital Walrus D1 v2 just can not be praised enough! Gloriously and impossibly both smushy and clear as a bell, I can't get enough of shaving off my transients, which is 90% of why I love analog delays. My only beef is that with my 12EEE feet, the tiny size of the pedal requires me to give it 3-4" of space on either side of my board, and I still can barely tap in tempos correctly with the very edge of my flipper-like foot. I'd be very happy if they made the same thing the size of the Earthquaker Avalanche pedal.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:51 am

tdbajus wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:40 am
I'm also on a diet, so I'm a little easily frustrated, if somewhat sexier.
Quote of the year :D

I was kinda wondering how it would all feel. I had a mk 1 years ago, but with more features, I was considering checking it out for bass. I've been needing to get a new reverb for bass, and the fact that it has a looper too, just made sense. I still want to try one before judging it myself, but that's pretty inline with how I figured I'd feel about the mk 2.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:56 am

The reverbs sound pretty nice, but with delay and especially reverb, I have to tweak them depending on the room/venue - no preset ever sounds just right from room to room to me. Changing the reverb sounds - and especially the mix! - without being able to at least hear an open string being plucked is weird.

The beauty of the first version was that it was easy to tweak on the fly - now it has become a menu-diving bummer.

I would have loved it if they had just included another shift button that would give you immediate access to the damned reverbs.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:04 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:56 am
I would have loved it if they had just included another shift button that would give you immediate access to the damned reverbs.
I agree. There should've been a reverb-specific button. And something near the dial that specifies which reverb is what position.
Last edited by Shadoweclipse13 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:09 pm

re: RE-202 I'm wondering if it will be easy to figure out how to turn the delays off/on while leaving the reverb on the whole time.

I see they have a button that turns the reverb on/off while leaving the delays on - a feature I can't imagine anyone ever wanting.

"Why yes, I would like to have the delay on for the entire set, please, occasionally layered with some reverb, please!"
- No One Whose Thinking I Could Understand.

Kind of surprised the three switches weren't <delay on/off> <reverb on/off> <tap>

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:16 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:09 pm
re: RE-202 I'm wondering if it will be easy to figure out how to turn the delays off/on while leaving the reverb on the whole time.

I see they have a button that turns the reverb on/off while leaving the delays on - a feature I can't imagine anyone ever wanting.

"Why yes, I would like to have the delay on for the entire set, please, occasionally layered with some reverb, please!"
- No One Whose Thinking I Could Understand.

Kind of surprised the three switches weren't <delay on/off> <reverb on/off> <tap>
It's not really for that. Because they have mixed things up this time and on the big rotary head selector none automatically have reverb (like the originals), they're all different head combinations (and there needs to be more with the 4th head they've introduced). The reverb button is to toggle it on or off for all the delay settings (1-12)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:26 pm

Is there anyone on Earth who wants:

1) to turn the reverb on and off while leaving the delay on?
2) go from delay AND reverb to being bone dry?

They picked the dumbest, most useless option.

I mean, what's it for? It's for putting delay and reverb on your signal! Of course that's what it's for!

You can have controls that are useful, or you can have controls that are useless and make the pedal wider. Perhaps it's for taking up as much space as possible.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:41 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:26 pm

I mean, what's it for? It's for putting delay and reverb on your signal! Of course that's what it's for!

You can have controls that are useful, or you can have controls that are useless and make the pedal wider. Perhaps it's for taking up as much space as possible.
I often just want delay and no reverb. Having the option to apply it to any of the delay patterns or not is a bonus to me - plus I have reverb pedals and possibly reverb on the amp. As for the taking up space thing, it's a sub-option on the main purpose of the footswitch (memory switching)... I think you're overthinking the non-issue. If space is a premium then theres the RE-2
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:42 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:26 pm

Huh? Anyone who’s ever worked in a recording studio or played live?

1) Yes, quite often. Especially when the room is overly reflective. I don’t want to compound reverb on top of reverb. The echo and the live room is enough.
2) Yes, the guitar straight into the amp sound is quite popular.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:47 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:42 pm

Huh? Anyone who’s ever worked in a recording studio or played live?

1) Yes, quite often. Especially when the room is overly reflective. I don’t want to compound reverb on top of reverb. The echo and the live room is enough.
2) Yes, the guitar straight into the amp sound is quite popular.
I think perhaps you misunderstand my point, which is:

given the choice between having:

1) a pedal that has a footswitch that lets you turn the reverb on/off while leaving the delay on
2) a pedal that has a footswitch that lets you turn the delay on/off while leaving the reverb on

most people would opt for the second.

To your first point, someone who doesn't want reverb when they are playing doesn't require a footswitch to turn it off and on. I actually address this explicitly when I gave the reason for returning the Line 6 - that it is rather difficult to edit the reverb to accommodate the room. So I am with you there.

To your second point, someone who plugs straight into the amp is probably not too concerned with which effects they can turn on and off with their feet on an effects pedal they are not using.

To summarize, my point was that it would make more sense to me to have the three buttons be:

1) delay off/on
2) reverb off/on
3) tap tempo

rather than:

a) reverb + delay off/on
b) cycle through presets (long press turn off reverb)
c) tap.

The workaround might be to switch back and forth between two presets (you can, it seems from the manual, limit the number of presets to two, but I'm not positive) which might work OK, so long as the switching is seamless. I fear it is not, but I am ever hopeful. I'll see soon enough.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:52 pm

I frequently want just delay, just reverb, or both together. What I'm curious if you can do is turn a reverb on, with a delay mix low, and save it as a reverb-only preset. If you can't run delay and reverb separately, I would be completely done being interested in playing one.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:48 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:52 pm
I frequently want just delay, just reverb, or both together. What I'm curious if you can do is turn a reverb on, with a delay mix low, and save it as a reverb-only preset. If you can't run delay and reverb separately, I would be completely done being interested in playing one.
Word.

Mind Flayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mind Flayer » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:35 am

Not to to a necro post, but I'm thinking about picking up a Mk II. I have always wanted a DL4, but I refrained from buying the original one because the footswitches were notorious for going bad within a year or two; I just couldn't bring myself to buy a pedal that's essentially designed to fail after a couple of years.

Does anybody know if the switches on the Mk II have been improved so that they will last longer?