Everyone needs a stompbox.
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hard time finding the right Wah for me - need the BIGGEST sweep

Post by Zork » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:05 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:48 am
I have a Source Audio expression pedal that’s discontinued. It can control 4 different devices at once or separately. I use it to control speed on a Univibe/Tremolo, repeats on an El Capistan, filter on a Fuzz wah/filter, and several functions on a Timefactor.
Oh yes, the Reflex! I still bite my ass for not getting one of those when they were widely available. Good news, though! They will bring it back in the nearer future: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_r06Rrlo5 ... hare_sheet

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:22 pm

Fuck yeah the Reflex is awesome I need it! Sucks that won’t happen any time soon but I’m glad I know about it and they’re working on bringing it back that rules

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:21 pm

Yeah damn, the reflex when I found out about it I wanted one so bad but then found out that they stopped making them because the demand wasn't there compared to the cost it took to make them. Not sure how they are going to get around that problem, make them in china? Outsourced Audio? (had to do it). xD
If OSG has tort me anything...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:53 pm

I heard from a reliable source that the new Evidence Audio Reflex won't be a module with a built-in treadle, but supposed to be a module that does all the clever routing, where you could use whatever treadle-type expression pedal you want...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:06 pm

The Morley wah ..that is the mark tremonti 1 wah sweep for days.....

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:18 pm

soggy mittens wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:21 pm
Yeah damn, the reflex when I found out about it I wanted one so bad but then found out that they stopped making them because the demand wasn't there compared to the cost it took to make them. Not sure how they are going to get around that problem, make them in china? Outsourced Audio? (had to do it). xD
In that insta post it suggested it was ahead of its time. I dunno when they were a thing but that makes sense to me. Tap tempo is a relatively new thing, at least to see so commonly, and I’d compare it to that. Maybe one of those things that intersected a lot of people not knowing about it with them not knowing they’d have lots of uses for it, etc…

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:22 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:18 pm
soggy mittens wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:21 pm
In that insta post it suggested it was ahead of its time. I dunno when they were a thing but that makes sense to me. Tap tempo is a relatively new thing, at least to see so commonly, and I’d compare it to that. Maybe one of those things that intersected a lot of people not knowing about it with them not knowing they’d have lots of uses for it, etc…
I got mine in September 2016. I was considering a Mission before I discovered the Reflex. I pretty much built my pedal board around it. Replaced a Vox wah and 2 single use expression pedals. The LFO waveforms have opened up a couple of new sounds I wasn’t even considering before I got it. Or rather I didn’t get it planning on using the LFO until I started testing it out and heard what it could do.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:12 pm

I found a perfect example of the thing I’m trying to do thanks to talking to fever606 about the Roland Double Beat, which I’d never heard of before. It’s this video, like the first thing he is doing when he starts playing. Sadly those things are really expensive and I can’t afford one but figure having a better reference might make sense and help anybody be able to better suggest a (hopefully cheaper) way for me to go. Thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/6JYAmQxmpoc

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:46 pm

Usually a wah is placed first in chain before drive but those Japanese fuzz wahs have the fuzz mostly before the wah and I suppose that's what Oliver Ackermann is doing, too. Maybe the solution to your problem is as simple as putting any wah behind some drive pedals. The filter effect increases dramatically.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:11 am

Zork wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:46 pm
Usually a wah is placed first in chain before drive but those Japanese fuzz wahs have the fuzz mostly before the wah and I suppose that's what Oliver Ackermann is doing, too. Maybe the solution to your problem is as simple as putting any wah behind some drive pedals. The filter effect increases dramatically.
What Zork said. I mentioned on page one that was my setup in the ‘90s. A Vox wah after a fuzz pedal. Mine was an op amp Big Muff until I found a Roland Bee-Baa fuzz, but any wah into a fuzz will get close to that sound.

It accentuates the harmonics. Somewhere mid sweep you’ll find a couple of spots where you can get instant controlled feedback or oscillation. The blues guys hate that sound, so they insist that the wah has to be first.

Edit to add: it starts to get real when you add a DMM or Space Echo after the wah.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:45 am

Most vintage and vintage-style wah pedals don’t work so well with other pedals before them, as they expect to see quite a high input impedance

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:26 am

hulakatt wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:22 am
I remembered Musictoyz used to carry them back in the day.
You and me both. 8)

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:38 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:11 am
Zork wrote:
What Zork said. I mentioned on page one that was my setup in the ‘90s. A Vox wah after a fuzz pedal. Mine was an op amp Big Muff until I found a Roland Bee-Baa fuzz, but any wah into a fuzz will get close to that sound.

It accentuates the harmonics. Somewhere mid sweep you’ll find a couple of spots where you can get instant controlled feedback or oscillation. The blues guys hate that sound, so they insist that the wah has to be first.

Edit to add: it starts to get real when you add a DMM or Space Echo after the wah.
And I remember someone seconded the VOX recommendation. I think I’m just going to start trying to find deals on some and try them out. I’ve never really been one to mess with my pedals’ order and typically if I find a thing I like it gets added and will stay there. I’m sure I’d benefit from trying the opposite approach. Thanks dudes I’m excited to get started

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:52 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:38 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:11 am
Zork wrote:

And I remember someone seconded the VOX recommendation. I think I’m just going to start trying to find deals on some and try them out. I’ve never really been one to mess with my pedals’ order and typically if I find a thing I like it gets added and will stay there. I’m sure I’d benefit from trying the opposite approach. Thanks dudes I’m excited to get started
I think that was Megan? There are 2 easy mods that are easily reversed (the 1st one anyway) to give a wider sweep.

1) You can unscrew the the rack from the gear shaft and rotate the potentiometer one or two gear teeth and reconnect. This shifts the mid point of the sweep and reduces the shrill high end, so gives the illusion that the sweep is longer because there’s more usable frequencies. Especially with fuzz before the wah, the high end gets to be too much.

2) Some people remove the little rubber stoppers to give the treadle a bit more room to move. I think you can pop them back in? I never tried it because there’s not much advantage to getting more bass when those frequencies basically disappear and the other end makes it harder to turn the wah on and off (or makes it more likely that you’ll accidentally turn it off on the high end of the sweep).

I usually had another dirt box after the wah to get both the before wah and after wah effects. This pedal either needs to not be affected by impedance, a Rat is perfect, or the wah has to be buffered and the fuzz before it true bypass. In the case of a Fuzz Face or similar fuzz.