Do you have multiple pedals of the same type on your board?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do you have multiple pedals of the same type on your board?

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:27 pm

Not anymore. One of each kind and the rest is in the hands. Guess it's time to go back to the FDP...
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:44 am

I have alot of overlap on my board, although they all fill in a niche that the others can’t. Keep in mind that this board is for recording, and never gets moved.

3 Fuzzes: CTC constellation, Wattson EFY6, and Earthbound Audio supercollider
2 Ocatavers: Hog2 and Bit Commander
2 Delays: EHX Nano Memory Man and Pigtronix Echolution2
2 Reverbs: H9 and Ventris

I also have two sorta catchall pedals that have alot of overlap with other pedals on my board aswell with the H9 and CooperFX Arcades.

If I were to gig again, this would get pared down massively. But for recording, having access to all these sounds quickly is important. I can get pulled out of a moment, and lose momentum really quickly.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:19 pm

I have 3 reverbs. Flint, big sky, and a Keeley Loomer. I actually want to add a neunaber wet. I love reverb. Then I also have 2 delays, 3 if you count the delay effects of the Loomer. Then, to complicate matters, I have a hologram microcosm which does a little of both and beyond.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:26 pm

3 delays
3 reverbs
3 dirt pedals (OD/DIST/FUZZ)

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:08 am

Interesting that so many have multiple reverbs.

I use an Eventide Space, which does a lot, so I don’t have a reason to have more than one reverb. Technically the El Capistan has a spring reverb option, but I rarely use it. I am interested in the Source Audio Collider - which does delay and reverb, but mostly for a small secondary board, not the main.

Some reverb pedals only do one thing, like spring or oil can emulation, so I can see having multiple reverb pedals for specific sounds, but not understanding the need for more than 2 that do multiple reverb effects. If you want to cascade a small room into a plate or long hall, then you would need 2, but the 3-4 seems almost as excessive as the 7 modulation pedals in the OP.

Edit to add: I like to cascade delays, so only need minimal reverb to create ambient tones. When I do use extreme reverb I use it more like a distortion - I always saw that as something Kevin Shields did - reverb = distortion and fuzz = reverb. I use walls of fuzz with open tunings to create ambience.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:15 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:08 am
Some reverb pedals only do one thing, like spring or oil can emulation, so I can see having multiple reverb pedals for specific sounds, but not understanding the need for more than 2 that do multiple reverb effects. If you want to cascade a small room into a plate or long hall, then you would need 2, but the 3-4 seems almost as excessive as the 7 modulation pedals in the OP.
I have two at the end of my chain for the 'cascade' thing, and one before fuzz near the start of the chain.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:26 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:19 pm
I have 3 reverbs. Flint, big sky, and a Keeley Loomer. I actually want to add a neunaber wet. I love reverb. Then I also have 2 delays, 3 if you count the delay effects of the Loomer. Then, to complicate matters, I have a hologram microcosm which does a little of both and beyond.
My old setup for reverb was a Flint, Loomer and Wet. I took off the Loomer when I added an El Cap and Hizumitas, which then brought my reverb count to 2, but delay count to 3.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:54 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:08 am
Interesting that so many have multiple reverbs.

I use an Eventide Space, which does a lot, so I don’t have a reason to have more than one reverb. Technically the El Capistan has a spring reverb option, but I rarely use it. I am interested in the Source Audio Collider - which does delay and reverb, but mostly for a small secondary board, not the main.
I have multiple delays, sometimes to cascade sometimes for different flavors. Multiple modulation (chorus + flange), etc. I have an Eventide H9 that is usually a reverb (as if it were a Space) at the end of the chain, and another one that serves as different flavors of stuff (modulation, delays, reverbs, weird crap) at the beginning. Sometimes having various similar pedals is to solve signal chain issues (e.g., mod -> delay; delay -> mod), but years of using the Ibanez UE racks (which can go in any order) helped me figure out where I like what. I do understand the appeal of a Boss ES switcher as it'd allow for more flexibility with fewer pedals, albeit at the cost (monetary + physical) of a big pedal switcher.

I've been experimenting with a small board of Dig -> H9 at home and that's been fun, and I may land on a board of H9>Dig>H9 if I can ever dial in the Eventide modulations (chorus and flange) to something, uh, less Eventide.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:59 am

I definitely have multiples of a type on my board. I'm not a touring musician or even have gigs or jam with people very much, so I don't mind that my board is huge and ridiculous. Part of my reasoning is due to each pedal in a type being a different style, and part of it is that I like to run certain types in series. Tremolo is one of those that I like to run 2 simultaneously at different rates, for a strange patterned stutter.

3 reverbs (different types, but also in different places (1 before gain, 1 before delay, 1 at the end), 3 delays (all at the end, made to be stacked), and 6 gain pedals (5 different types (Muff, TS, RAT, transparent, and Power Booster clone) and a treble booster; 7 if you count compressor (which I kind of don't)).
Last edited by Shadoweclipse13 on Mon May 16, 2022 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Sun May 15, 2022 10:23 pm

basically yes, even when 'stripped down'.

i have two boards, one very Rock, and the other more Ambient.

in my studio i have them both full-time, and there are 3 or 4 delays, and 3 drives and 3 modulations and 2 filters that overlap.

on most gigs i get a proper sound check, so i'll rock them both. i don't have to fumble the knobs much at all, thanks to the redundancy.
though i often get some passages where i can change modulation or delay rates, which is always fun.

when the gig is on a small stage or a short set festival, i might go with just one board and have much less overlap.
but i'll often have the Eventide Space on top of my amp, to bridge the gap. there's all kinds of potential overlap with
the presets that i've corrupted...

that said, last month i was invited to join a band for one gig, and i plugged my JM straight into an Amp du Jour.
the mates liked it, and i was surprised how much fun i had!
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 am

I usually run 3 or 4 overdrives and in the future I will have 2 rats and a Dunes on my board with the plumes as a boost of sorts. I don't use many effects aside of reverb and distortions.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 pm

Volume Pedal > Tuner > Fuzz > (Magnatone )Vibrato (Kind of use it as more of a trem?) > Shallow Water (another chorus/vibrato for weird low-fi stuff) > Maxon AD900. Everything else is amp trem/reverb, including my "OD" tone, assuming I can turn the amp up a little bit.

Not usually much of an "effect" guy over here, and when I do use them they tend to be pretty subtle applications. That said, my pedalboard is on the small-ish side, so it's forced me to consolidate on which effects bring what I need to to the table, and then subsequently to get the most out of the ones I've chosen.

To build a bit on the above... When I'm recording on my own I'll try a bunch of effects, plugging in and riffing on the song, then trying something else, etc. Having all those options is cool in the studio - there's less pressure to make the most of the time and sometimes a few hours of pedal-wank can be fun. Conversely, I find that having too many options in a jam or when writing with a band gets in the way of me actually *playing guitar*, and I spend more time trying to figure out how to apply the effects than crafting a compelling melody/harmony for the song. (They're there, gotta use them!)

What *does* work is writing the part, then retroactively thinking about what effects will help accent that part, of course applying the logic of less-is-more, especially with effects. I tend to wind up not liking parts I've written where it's the effect (likely over-applied), rather than the music itself, that makes it interesting.

Said another way, I need to keep my pedalboard consolidated to stay focused. It's cliche, but it's certainly a case of limitations driving some creativity.