The Octave Fuzz Thread

Everyone needs a stompbox.
cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Octave Fuzz Thread

Post by cpeck » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:45 am

Big fan. I have a few, but the rocket ship Roger Mayer Octavia is my favourite.

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:39 am

hulakatt wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:44 pm

I’m sure you don’t want all three of those cluttering up the place, let me just take one off your hands and get it out of your way. :whistle: :D

But yes, I really need to pick one up soon. I’ve been looking out for one for ages. Also quite interested in the JHS Supreme Superfuzz type pedal. That thing sounds huge.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:13 am

I re-housed a cloned SuperFuzz circuit in a rather groovy enclosure many moons ago.

I pimped it out with cool knobs, a tasty LED collar & some white Letraset labelling...

It's still probably my favourite Fuzz tone, alongside the 2-knob Tonebender.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:12 am

Russell1982 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:39 am
I’m sure you don’t want all three of those cluttering up the place, let me just take one off your hands and get it out of your way. :whistle: :D

But yes, I really need to pick one up soon. I’ve been looking out for one for ages. Also quite interested in the JHS Supreme Superfuzz type pedal. That thing sounds huge.
I have a few other SuperFuzz circuits as well and the one from PigeonFX is amazing, if you can find one.

There's only a few pedals that I have multiple versions of the same pedal but Fuzz Faces, DoD 250's and ZVex (different art) in general really captivate me for some reason. I'm not looking to sell any Octanes and I still keep watching for used ones to pop up for decent prices. I'm still searching for an Octane I and I'm on the fence about the current graphics.
She/Her

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am

I’ve still never tried a fuzz face but have been wanting to grab the blue Dunlop Hendrix fuzz face. I know there are clones etc in a more “traditional” square enclosure but I love the look of the round originals.

I agree regarding zvex, I love their pedals as art as much as musical devices. I have a green sparkle fuzz factory from early 2000 which I love as well as a seek wah, box of rock, sonar and I used to have a wah probe and fuzz probe, all hand painted versions. I have the vibrophase too as I’m a phase shifter lover but it really bugs me that they only released it in the vertical format and non hand painted. I’ve been on the hunt for an octane 3 and an instant lo fi junky for a while now too. I think I’d happily collect multiples of the same pedal with zvex just because the art is so pleasing.

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:43 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:13 am
I re-housed a cloned SuperFuzz circuit in a rather groovy enclosure many moons ago.

I pimped it out with cool knobs, a tasty LED collar & some white Letraset labelling...

It's still probably my favourite Fuzz tone, alongside the 2-knob Tonebender.
I love the look of this, very old school with the wedge shape. Also reminds me of the mcfx super fuzz clone that j mascis uses.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Russell1982 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am
I’ve still never tried a fuzz face but have been wanting to grab the blue Dunlop Hendrix fuzz face. I know there are clones etc in a more “traditional” square enclosure but I love the look of the round originals.

I agree regarding zvex, I love their pedals as art as much as musical devices. I have a green sparkle fuzz factory from early 2000 which I love as well as a seek wah, box of rock, sonar and I used to have a wah probe and fuzz probe, all hand painted versions. I have the vibrophase too as I’m a phase shifter lover but it really bugs me that they only released it in the vertical format and non hand painted. I’ve been on the hunt for an octane 3 and an instant lo fi junky for a while now too. I think I’d happily collect multiples of the same pedal with zvex just because the art is so pleasing.
The blue Hendrix Fuzz Faces are great! Do it!

I recently picked up a LoFi Looper and am still trying to figure out what to do with it. I've never owned a looper before and it's not coming naturally to me. I have no interested in any of the vertical or Vexter versions. No reason, they just don't appeal to me at all. That said, I'm addicted to the old sparkle ZVex pedals.
She/Her

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:09 am

hulakatt wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:45 pm
Russell1982 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am

The blue Hendrix Fuzz Faces are great! Do it!

I recently picked up a LoFi Looper and am still trying to figure out what to do with it. I've never owned a looper before and it's not coming naturally to me. I have no interested in any of the vertical or Vexter versions. No reason, they just don't appeal to me at all. That said, I'm addicted to the old sparkle ZVex pedals.
You’re becoming a very bad influence on me, I feel I’m going to be acquiring a lot of new gear soon that I’ve been lusting after for a while.

I’m 100% with you on the zvex pedals, I especially love the sparkle ones too, I’ve found myself scrolling through the internet looking for all variations of colours of their pedals. I have a green sparkle fuzz factory but always loved the blue sparkle with the kanji characters, I’ve wanted one of those for years but they rarely come up these days. And those two sparkle octane 3’s in this thread are both glorious.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 am

Russell1982 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:09 am
You’re becoming a very bad influence on me, I feel I’m going to be acquiring a lot of new gear soon that I’ve been lusting after for a while.
I am a fabulous influence! I just happen to be an enabler is all.
Russell1982 wrote:
I’m 100% with you on the zvex pedals, I especially love the sparkle ones too, I’ve found myself scrolling through the internet looking for all variations of colours of their pedals. I have a green sparkle fuzz factory but always loved the blue sparkle with the kanji characters, I’ve wanted one of those for years but they rarely come up these days. And those two sparkle octane 3’s in this thread are both glorious.
I had a none sparkle kanji Fuzz Factory when they were new but I got rid of it (like a moron) because I couldn't remember what each knob did! Now I can't find on for sale for love or money.
She/Her

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:34 am

Yes, yes, yes. The meanest, nastiest, most aggressive of fuzzes. The Fender Blender, the Foxx, the Runoffgroove Buzz Box, they're magical. They bring a snarl to my playing nothing else does.

And of course, the Superfuzz *is* the greatest fuzz pedal ever invented.

*drops mic, walks away*

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:49 pm

MrShake wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:34 am
Pete Townsend, Adam Yauch and I agree.
She/Her

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:28 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 am
Russell1982 wrote:
Russell1982 wrote:
I had a none sparkle kanji Fuzz Factory when they were new but I got rid of it (like a moron) because I couldn't remember what each knob did! Now I can't find on for sale for love or money.
Ok, I choose to go with fabulous influence! Feel free to continue enabling me. I’m gonna get myself a fuzz face and continue my search for an octane 3.

Yeah I always thought that, not knowing what the knobs are, but they just looked so awesome I wanted on. As you said, now they all seem to have vanished off the face of the earth.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:35 pm

Russell1982 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:28 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Russell1982 wrote:
Russell1982 wrote:
Ok, I choose to go with fabulous influence! Feel free to continue enabling me. I’m gonna get myself a fuzz face and continue my search for an octane 3.

Yeah I always thought that, not knowing what the knobs are, but they just looked so awesome I wanted on. As you said, now they all seem to have vanished off the face of the earth.
To be fair, I don't know if knowing what the knobs do has any bearing on the sounds that come out.
She/Her

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:42 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:35 pm
Russell1982 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:28 pm
hulakatt wrote:

To be fair, I don't know if knowing what the knobs do has any bearing on the sounds that come out.
This is very true. I tend to just turn the knobs until something sounds cool. And then when I plug a different guitar in it all changes and I have to start again.

What are your thoughts on the bigger zvex pedals? Super seekers and the woolly mammoth 7 and fuzz factory 7?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:10 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:49 pm
MrShake wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:34 am
Pete Townsend, Adam Yauch and I agree.
*high five*

My wife/drummer makes fuzz suggestions at band practice for new songs. We've called Superfuzz Mode 1 "Mudhoney" and Mode 2 "Cramps" for years.

It's two-in-one. That's TWICE the pedal.

And each side is brutal.