What’s the most interesting pedal you own?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What’s the most interesting pedal you own?

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:55 am

i have a few small batch/one off fuzzes which are cool and unique. the most oddball sounds come from stuff built to be weird, like masf and dba.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:33 am

I suppose my pedal for this is my MoogerFooger 104M Delay pedal. I have owned some other interesting pedals that make crazy sounds, but I've realized that I don't really need/use super crazy sound pedals. (I just impulsively buy them and then sort of miss them)

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am

I see a trend emerging here, and it's a concensus that a ring modulator is the most "interesting" pedal you can have on your board. I'll plus one that by nominating my Fairfiled Circuitry Randy's Revenge.

Reverse delay also sparks my interest; mine's the humble Digitech Obscura. I think Digitech threw themselves headlong into "interesting" territory with that range of graphic-heavy pedals; I never got round to buying one, but I hankered after the Robot one from the same era. Weren't they all designed by the same person?

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:59 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am
I see a trend emerging here, and it's a concensus that a ring modulator is the most "interesting" pedal you can have on your board. I'll plus one that by nominating my Fairfiled Circuitry Randy's Revenge.
I have one too, which replaced my MF-102 because I found it's way more practical and just as good.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:04 pm

bubba899 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 am
Intesnive Care Audio Fideleater
Hmmm I definitely don’t need any “wacky shit” pedals (I invariably get bored of the “one cool trick” aspect of them and move them along) but this thing looks deep enough and I’ve been missing having a good ol’ chorus/vibrato option around…

As for my “most interesting” pedal? Slowly Melting by a mile. Fuzz? Check. Broken delay? Check. World-ending cacophony? Checkity check.

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 am

fever606 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:04 pm
bubba899 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 am
Intesnive Care Audio Fideleater
Hmmm I definitely don’t need any “wacky shit” pedals (I invariably get bored of the “one cool trick” aspect of them and move them along) but this thing looks deep enough and I’ve been missing having a good ol’ chorus/vibrato option around…

As for my “most interesting” pedal? Slowly Melting by a mile. Fuzz? Check. Broken delay? Check. World-ending cacophony? Checkity check.
Yeah it does the full on mental thing, but there's loads of usable tones, particularly because of the variable wave forms. You can get subtle warped tape sounds, straight up clean chorus/vibe. The controls are firmly weighted more towards the bizarre, but it's a lot more than just a one sound thing.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:51 am

Everything else I own is extremely utilitarian as I gig a lot. I've always loved highly effects heavy bands like Adebisi Shank or Battles so I try and incorporate as much of that vibe into my current band as possible.

My one weird pedal is the Bananana effects Mandala, the Reverse, Random and Repeat functions are excellent for soundscape stuff if you get a loop pedal involved and the Square Trigger is great for glitchy solos or live freakouts https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VL08Ff1C7FA the other functions are a bit gimmicky but the ones it does well it does really well, highly recommend one.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

krossfader
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by krossfader » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:41 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:54 pm
If Lovetone ever came back with smaller format pedals I would definitely pick up a couple more. The Doppelgänger was probably my 2nd choice as I always liked the Bi-Phase idea and at least it was smaller than a Mutron, but also more hi-fi.
I would do the same thing...supposedly this is what's happening with the ThorpyFx line, now that (ex-Lovetone designer) Dan Coggins works there. The Pulse Doppler is supposed to be a Doppelgänger "mark II" but I haven't gotten the chance to try it. That Doppelgänger takes up a huge part of my board but I'll never get rid of it.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:05 pm

krossfader wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:41 pm
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:54 pm
If Lovetone ever came back with smaller format pedals I would definitely pick up a couple more. The Doppelgänger was probably my 2nd choice as I always liked the Bi-Phase idea and at least it was smaller than a Mutron, but also more hi-fi.
I would do the same thing...supposedly this is what's happening with the ThorpyFx line, now that (ex-Lovetone designer) Dan Coggins works there. The Pulse Doppler is supposed to be a Doppelgänger "mark II" but I haven't gotten the chance to try it. That Doppelgänger takes up a huge part of my board but I'll never get rid of it.
Huh. I had no idea that existed. When ThorpyFx first came out and all the pedals were named Field General and Combat or Gunshot or whatever I wrote them off as not-for-me. I understand the chassis and build are supposed to be “military grade” but the names were a big turn-off.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:42 am

Easily the most interesting pedal I own is the Pladask Nordisk Draume reverb, which sounds like the Bros. Quay Film 'Street of Crocodiles' in a box.

Ancient, otherworldly and dusty/crumbling all at the same time.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:14 pm

I have the original robotalk but no 1 would be my rastop super divider. It's an octave pedal with 4 unlabelled knobs and two switches. It has various octave clean dead fuzz depending where you set it by guesswork. It is the best or wort pedal you've ever heard depending on how it's feeling. I've had a fuzz factory for 21 yrs but this is on another level.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:30 pm

I have a lot of really cool pedals and a bunch I really love but something unique is much harder to come by in the pedal world. Looking at it that way, I'd have to say that the BJFe Purple Humper is kinda unique, maybe not in it's circuitry, but how it changes things. Most pedals, whatever you put into them comes out sharing something of the original flavor; a strat still sounds like a strat, a tele like a tele and so on. A lot of pedals feel like the changes are being made to your amp in a way.

The PH is a simple, blendable mid hump pedal but it sounds and feels like you're changing guitars instead of amps. A strat goes in but a 335 comes out instead. It's also one thing to know about but fully something else to experience in person.

Last edited by hulakatt on Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 am

I don't think there's really anything too unusual or "interesting" in my small pedal collection (which is mostly Big Muff's), but the one I have that can be a little hard to find is a Skreddy Mayo (which is probably tied for first as my favorite Muff).

Jack

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:46 am

I have the "R5D4" version of the Caroline Kilobyte - it has silver/red colorway and a little more intensity to the overdrive section than the normal Kilobyte. I like it *a lot*!

And I have two early Malekko Echo delays: an ID-300 Dark and an ID-600 Bright. They're pretty hard to come by and real delights as clear, boost-y, analog delays. They both capture a reverby-ness when set with shorter delay times that is quite special.

I have two old Rat 2 pedals, but besides being examples of one of the continuing standards of great distortion/fuzz pedals, they're only interesting due to age.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:43 am

obne rever, it's just a lot of awesome
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.