Bubble Font Green Russian Big Muff clone build

Everyone needs a stompbox.
cdwillis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bubble Font Green Russian Big Muff clone build

Post by cdwillis » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:27 pm

I've been on a muff building kick lately. I was planning a Civil War build, but forgot to order 430pf caps. Then decided to build a tall font Russian, but I didn't have any 500pf caps. So I built a Bubble Font version of the Green Russian with the 470pf caps. I've never had a Russian muff unless you count the Sovtek Deluxe, which is a whole other beast. I'm pretty impressed with this. I used 2n3904 transistors, all matched at 428hfe. Everything else was according to the schematic on Kit Rae's big muff page.

Using my Rams Head reissue as the baseline, this is less scooped, less compressed, less saturated, and has more low end. I was worried that it wouldn't have enough saturation or fuzz for me based on what I've read and the demos I've listened to, but I dig it. I can see why it's such a popular version of the muff. It sounds even better pushing the front end of it with an overdrive. After jamming around with it on for ten or fifteen minutes I turned it off, turned my Blackbox overdrive on, and was surprised at how much thinner and less big ( I guess) the guitar sounded after being so used to the Russian tone. The Blackbox is definitely not thin at all, just not nearly as massive as the Russian.

I think I will build the Civil War soon, but the next one is going to be some Triangle variant. I was thinking of an Elk Sustainar clone, but I have to order parts for it as well.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bubble Font Green Russian Big Muff clone build

Post by HNB » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:43 pm

Cool!
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bubble Font Green Russian Big Muff clone build

Post by MrShake » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:45 am

Really cool, and I love the aesthetic. I was surprised at my Green Russian RI having played but not owned a Russian-style Muff. I had the same hesitance about overall gnarliness, but I like the warmer tone and like yours, the low-end makes it the "hugest" pedal I think I own. Feed it a low-gain Rat and grunge yourself forever. Nice work!