Super Cheap Mini-Sized Delay with Tap Tempo?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Super Cheap Mini-Sized Delay with Tap Tempo?

Post by MrShake » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:15 pm

I suppose the thread title says it all. Felt fortunate this Christmas as there haven't been many NPDs this year, and my wife brilliantly got me half a dozen of the cheapest pedals to play with - Eno, Behringer, Kokko. Will probably do a post when a few of them show up later this week.

Putting some where they went on my other purpose-built boards, I ended up making a "mini-sized cheapos" board with leftovers for ambient stuff and experimenting. It wants a delay. But only one that matches the board.

I only just learned that some of these low-end pedals have built in tap, which amazes my aging brain. I've found the Twinote Ana Delay, which is, right now, the ideal feature set for what I'm looking for, it just seems to be getting more "expensive". I thought I saw the Azor and Mimidi delays had tap, but now I can't find confirmation, and think I was mistaken.

I know a lot of these pedals are a race to the bottom and there's always a cheaper rebrand. So:

Can anyone suggest a delay pedal that's
1) Mini-sized, like your *typical* Mooer, Donner, or Mosky pedal
2) Has built in "hold for 2 sec to enter tap mode", soft-switch type tap tempo
3) Is cheaper than the Twinote Ana Delay

Frankly, I realized this is quite stupid. Paying $45 for a pedal with built-in tap delay like the Ana Delay is basically a steal. But I'd rather know if there's something else out there that could scratch the itch and save me money. The quality of the delay is almost irrelevant, as long as it makes repeats above, say, 450 ms, is tap tempo, and is as cheap as possible for this tertiary fun board.

If I'm on a snipe hunt, I'll probably just go with a basic Kmise variant or the Donner Wave for the modulation. But it's not about what's the best delay or what I could get if I shell out a bit more, it's about fulfilling those three requirements.

There was a time when I thought I was up on all of the myriad clone brands, but I can't even keep up anymore!

Thanks, y'all. Stay safe out there.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Super Cheap Mini-Sized Delay with Tap Tempo?

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:18 am

There's the TC Electronic Flashback II. That has tap tempo.

I just watched the official demo vid. It looks really cool!
Pretty crazy what you can squeeze into a tiny box these days!! ;D
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:05 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:18 am
There's the TC Electronic Flashback II. That has tap tempo.

I just watched the official demo vid. It looks really cool!
Pretty crazy what you can squeeze into a tiny box these days!! ;D
This was going to be my vote as well. Sadly we missed the window where Sweetwater was blowing them out for 50 bucks apiece, so probably not the screaming deal you're looking for. Cheapest ones on Reverb seem to be floating around 80-90 bucks which is more than reasonable imo. I have the 'full sized' FB2 and it kicked my Rubberneck off my miniboard once I figured out I could reassign the tap tempo subdivisions on the switch via Toneprint.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:55 am

I came here to also vote for the TC Mini. The full sized flashback x4 was my go-to unit for years. Their 2290 delay with a tap would do me 95% of the time.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in. While it would most certainly fit sonically, the FB mini is still significantly more than I can spend on a board that's third-string at best.

Sometimes solutions come from unexpected places. Despite there being no indication of it on the product page, the orange Amazon Basics delay pedal (y'know, "DELAY") is a rebadge of the Nux/Twinote/Kokko/Afuaim branded orange 1 sec tap tempo delay. And at $35, it's ten bucks cheaper than the Twinote, and under my $40 "cheap pedal" limit. So, an under $40 fun-sized delay with tap tempo does exist, which is good news for all of us.

I don't know how I missed it before, maybe it was sold out and they needed to restock? Either way, I saw somebody on YouTube clicking an AB branded one and it had the tap temp function

It arrives tomorrow, I'll update then

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:38 pm

MrShake wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:22 am
Thanks for taking the time to weigh in. While it would most certainly fit sonically, the FB mini is still significantly more than I can spend on a board that's third-string at best.

Sometimes solutions come from unexpected places. Despite there being no indication of it on the product page, the orange Amazon Basics delay pedal (y'know, "DELAY") is a rebadge of the Nux/Twinote/Kokko/Afuaim branded orange 1 sec tap tempo delay. And at $35, it's ten bucks cheaper than the Twinote, and under my $40 "cheap pedal" limit. So, an under $40 fun-sized delay with tap tempo does exist, which is good news for all of us.

I don't know how I missed it before, maybe it was sold out and they needed to restock? Either way, I saw somebody on YouTube clicking an AB branded one and it had the tap temp function

It arrives tomorrow, I'll update then
Does it have tap? I just looked, they’re available for preorder in the U.K., as well as what looks like a TS clone. £30 for a pedal with a tap is pretty cool. Most of those cheap digital delays sound alright.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:27 am

I've been grumbling since last night but I think they forgot to pull mine off the truck with our building's delivery. It just sorta never showed up. Stuck in tracking-less limbo now. But am excited enough I'll DEFINITELY let you know once it eventually gets here.

But surely SOMEONE around here has tried one? Or is the shame of having that brand on our boards too much for anyone to risk outing themselves over? :P

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:05 pm

Damn, I guess I did order a delay.

Yeah, first one was lost, ordered a replacement, finally showed up tonight. Sounds great for what it is. Clearly the same as the Nux Konsequent, the Kokko/Afuaim Timer, and the Twinote Ana Delay. At $35, fell under my imaginary budget threshold, and delivers exactly what one would expect.

And yep, it taps. Sounds good, easy to dial in. Tested the tap by flipping around some streaming music and synching to it. Sounded great, worked easy, lots of clean repeats.

During the wait, I got a seller's offer elsewhere and caved on a Kmise "Analog" Delay. For $17, it also can't be beat as a bare-bones utility delay with analog flavor. They go great together, and so far, with proper expectations, I'd heartily recommend whichever orange delay you can find cheapest, if you just need a budget-level delay with tap tempo in the mini pedal format. I remember shelling out for my DD-5 back in '96, so the value for money on this boggles my mind.

Happy tappin'.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:58 am

MrShake wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:05 pm

Yeah, first one was lost, ordered a replacement, finally showed up tonight. Sounds great for what it is. Clearly the same as the Nux Konsequent, the Kokko/Afuaim Timer, and the Twinote Ana Delay. At $35, fell under my imaginary budget threshold, and delivers exactly what one would expect.

And yep, it taps. Sounds good, easy to dial in. Tested the tap by flipping around some streaming music and synching to it. Sounded great, worked easy, lots of clean repeats.

During the wait, I got a seller's offer elsewhere and caved on a Kmise "Analog" Delay. For $17, it also can't be beat as a bare-bones utility delay with analog flavor. They go great together, and so far, with proper expectations, I'd heartily recommend whichever orange delay you can find cheapest, if you just need a budget-level delay with tap tempo in the mini pedal format. I remember shelling out for my DD-5 back in '96, so the value for money on this boggles my mind.

Happy tappin'.

Brilliant! Thanks for coming back with info. I might just have to give it a go.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:41 pm

MrShake wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:05 pm

Happy tappin'.

Guess what’s on Amazon U.K. now… and I’m totally gonna buy one. Been holding out for Flashback mini on eBay but they’re going for more than I want to pay.

£35 for a straight up digital delay & tap. HELLO.

*edit* it’s up for preorder. Ordered anyway. We all need more delays & more BF-2 clones, right?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:03 pm

Awwwwe yeah! Good eye!

I mean, expectations at reasonable levels, but a solid, clean, digital delay with tap tempo? As you say, worth a try either way. I've really dug mine so far. It's no DD-5, but how are delay pedals this cheap this good?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:33 pm

Jeff Delayzos

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:07 pm

fuck amazon
If OSG has tort me anything...

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:26 pm

soggy mittens wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:07 pm
fuck amazon
Correction:

fuck amazon fuck amazon fuck amazon fuck amazon

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:38 am

Yeah, fuck Amazon, for sure. I'd advise anyone who wants one to get a version of this pedal wherever they can, but if you've got the option, lol, send your money to Nux or Twinote. I wasn't able to at the time, but y'know, they're all the same, so get whichever works for you, they should all be the same inside.