Vox built-in effects in pedal form: Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom or Reuss Repeater Fuzz?

Everyone needs a stompbox.

Which is the better Vox effects pedal?

Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom
22%
Reuss Repeater Fuzz
67%
Other (please note in post)
11%

Total votes: 9

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vox built-in effects in pedal form: Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom or Reuss Repeater Fuzz?

Post by del » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:37 pm

I'm planning towards a pedal that replicates the repeater tremolo, fuzz, and treble/bass boost found in Vox guitars and basses like the Starstream, Ultrasonic, Grand Prix, Delta, Sidewinder, etc.

The two I'm most familiar with are the
Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdU5mu1OlfA
and the Reuss Repeater Fuzz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc4R9OhvvVI

They both sound great to me! The former has a little more sonic control if I were to want it, but the latter still nails the vintage circuit's sound.
The former is a little more expensive than the latter, but... is the price difference worth it?
The former is less available than the latter, but... should I wait for it?

Are there others that should be on my radar.

This is mostly for playing at home and recording, though I guess it could hit a stage under some unusual-but-not-impossible situation.

Help me, Offsetters!
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vox built-in effects in pedal form: Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom or Reuss Repeater Fuzz?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:59 am

I have a Catalinbread Repeat Percussion based on the Vox circuit, but the guy who sold me it said it was a special order, so no idea if it was ever a production run.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vox built-in effects in pedal form: Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom or Reuss Repeater Fuzz?

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:24 am

I have the first version of the Reuss Repeater Fuzz, and a Vox Ultrasonic. I actually helped Anders with the voicing of his first build by recording some sound clips of the individual effects :)

It's a great pedal & gets pretty close to the original. However, I just watched his demo of the MKIII and it sounds waaaay better.

A large part of the Ultrasonic/Starstream sound is the Ferro-Sonic pickups, maybe even the hollowbody construction of the actual guitar, and I think the evolution of his pedal has enhanced this. It sounds wider, deeper & more spacious, whereas the older version maybe sounds a little more compressed. Also, the fuzz is more accurate than the MK1 version - a very nasal, "bee in a jar" kind of tone. Minor details that could easily be lost on an "untrained" ear but if you want something faithful to the original it's an important improvement.

I have no experience with the Acid Fuzz model but am sure it's also a fantastic pedal. The guy who builds them, as you may already know, is/was the BJM guitar tech and has very solid experience with this line of Vox guitars & built-in effects.

It looks as though the Acid Fuzz has a few more switchable & dialable options but a big game changer the Repeater Fuzz offers is the introduction of a send/return loop so you can add a wah pedal to the signal chain, making it even closer to the original onboard circuit.

I'd buy the Repeater Fuzz.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:27 am

I had the Repeater Fuzz and it does, indeed sound great, but...

If you need it to hold the tempo -- my band does for some songs -- it won't do it. If the voltage in your circuit drops the tempo also drops. For instance, we set the correct tempo in our practice space. We then set up for a gig and attempt to play the song but the tempo from the Repeater has changed. One would think that would be simple tweak, but no, the adjustments are difficult to make because the slightest movement changes the tempo a great deal. We would often drop the songs from our set that needed that persistent chop (and correct tempo) simply because it was so hard to dial in.

I ended up selling it on.

I ended up with a Mattoverse Tremstortion, which doesn't have the drifting tempo problems. However, it wants to be first in the chain as it tends to duck a little if it gets hit with a slightly enhanced signal.
Last edited by Tafarel on Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:35 am

Thanks for the info!

Both pedals are currently backordered/in-production, so I'm eager to hear more of your thoughts!
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:00 pm

del wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:35 am
Thanks for the info!

Both pedals are currently backordered/in-production, so I'm eager to hear more of your thoughts!
The Reuss Repeater Fuzz is in stock. I have just had to temporarily close the shop for new orders, because they were piling up, and I need to free some time to pack and ship a ton of Plasmatron / Stuart Braithwaite pedal preorders. The shop opens again on November 15th with two Repeater Fuzz pedals in stock :-)

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:48 am

Two-year followup:

I have a Reuss Repeater Fuzz MkIII and is is a spot-on reproduction of those Vox effects!
It is fantastic!

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:29 am

I made something like this many years ago for a custom order.

Image[
Instagram: thetonyballs

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:00 pm

I haven’t tried the Reuss so I can’t speak to it, but the Sonic Boom is superb. I’ve had both the silicon and germanium versions, and ultimately kept the germanium.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:44 am

BlueMelody wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:00 pm
I haven’t tried the Reuss so I can’t speak to it, but the Sonic Boom is superb. I’ve had both the silicon and germanium versions, and ultimately kept the germanium.
I have an Acid Fuzz Repeater (the repeat percussion as a solo pedal) which is fantastic and I wish I had access to a Sonic Boom as I'm still very eager to try it out.

That said, the Reuss Repeater Fuzz really nails these sounds perfectly, and in a smaller pedal. I can hit Spacemen 3 styles, and all sort of other garage/psych/gaze, without a hitch!

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:25 am

del wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:48 am
Two-year followup:

I have a Reuss Repeater Fuzz MkIII and is is a spot-on reproduction of those Vox effects!
It is fantastic!
Thanks - It's discontinued, and at blow-out sale at the moment, btw. Very few left.

There's a Mk IV coming early next year, which will be a step away from the ultra vintage-correct theme of the Mk III. It will be back to a more intuitive two-in-one pedal, each half (fuzz and repeater) getting a dedicated output stage, allowing for independent volume adjustments.
The treble/bass booster circuit will be integrated in the fuzz half, which gets a three-way mode selector for fuzz/fuzz+tone/tone settings. The Repeater half is identical to the Reuss stand-alone Repeater, including the 'MIX' control, which is a clean blend, making it possible to diminish the spikes of the repeat percussion effect without messing with the original circuit.
The tone shaping circuits (fuzz, treble/bass booster and repeaet percussion) are still identical to the vintage Vox effects, including the vintage correct transistors, but there's more modern circuitry surrounding them, compared to previous versions of the Reuss Repeater Fuzz, to make the level controls, mix control and mode selector possible. As a plus, the pedal will now have a modern, buffered output signal (stille mechanical true bypass) and the fuzz circuit is no longer sensitive to being first in chain.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:38 am

Is the Vox fuzz similar to a Fuzz Face? Similar transistors or something else entirely?

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:04 am

Musjagjazz wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:38 am
Is the Vox fuzz similar to a Fuzz Face? Similar transistors or something else entirely?
It’s a very basic vintage two-transistor type of fuzz, and in that, it is quite similar to both a fuzz face and the Tonebender Mk 1.5, though all three has different voicings. They don’t offer a huge amount of fuzz and sounds best when cranked.
It’s a silicon fuzz using BC108 transistors, which can also be found in early silicon fuzz faces.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:59 am

elektrovac wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:04 am
Musjagjazz wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:38 am
It’s a very basic vintage two-transistor type of fuzz, and in that, it is quite similar to both a fuzz face and the Tonebender Mk 1.5, though all three has different voicings. They don’t offer a huge amount of fuzz and sounds best when cranked.
It’s a silicon fuzz using BC108 transistors, which can also be found in early silicon fuzz faces.
It doesn't sound quite like a fuzz face. It's much buzzier and, even with the tone control, it doesn't get particularly bass-y or "wooly." That said, it's a fantastic psychedelic fuzz and when used WITH a bass guitar it is excellent and the bass shines through!

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:12 am

There is also the OSO Marauder which uses the UK version of Vox guitar effects as the source for sounds

[https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8SzplqJN ... cnVkZXI%3D