Pedals that BOSS still haven't got right and ones they've got right

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pedals that BOSS still haven't got right and ones they've got right

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:44 am

This would be the quickest pedal purchase for me ever if they made it...I am a bit of a Boss mark though.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:46 am

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:10 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:11 am
Jazzmastervsjaguar wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:43 am
Oh man a compact version of the space echo would be awesome!
The concept art (fan-made I believe) has been floating around a few years. It's still one of my favorite designs.

Someone could build this, right? The algorithms & chips must be easily available. (I have no idea if this statement is true, or how it would be done, just going on the current computing power the average teenager can play with). I suppose you could easily load software into a pedal form but that would be ott.

Reminds me of seeing Pink Floyd’s pedalboards where their tech built separate pedals into single boards.
It's kinda already been done. NUX Tape Core:

Not quite as comprehensive as the render version. I've not tried it but apparently it's rather good. And only £60
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:33 pm

I'd buy that boss RE-2w in a heartbeat.

Update re: Boss DC-2w.... I was super excited to get a stereo in > super amazing stereo spread. Sounds great (and just like the original) but I now strongly suspect that it sums the input signal. (Still have to confirm, but 1. it makes sense, and 2. it sounds like it sums the signal; stereo detune -> DC-2w = flat)

Not a deal breaker, but a disappointment.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 pm

I have the nux one and it is a loose unit as far as sound goes, it doesn't have that boss flavor going on. It got kicked off my board after about five jams sadly. I would also snap one up but would want that exp jack to also be able to do tap tempo, external tap for every delay pedal please!!!! The more I see it I just think boss are sleeping on what could be one of their best products ever! I'd be surprised if we didn't see it by 2025.
If OSG has tort me anything...

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:22 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 pm
I have the nux one and it is a loose unit as far as sound goes, it doesn't have that boss flavor going on. It got kicked off my board after about five jams sadly. I would also snap one up but would want that exp jack to also be able to do tap tempo, external tap for every delay pedal please!!!! The more I see it I just think boss are sleeping on what could be one of their best products ever! I'd be surprised if we didn't see it by 2025.
External tap is a great idea. Though for me half the point of having a tape echo emulator is having the ability to control the repeat rate with an expression pedal. So for me it’d have to either have a dedicated tap tempo switch, or you should be able to plug a footswitch into the exp in to have direct tap tempo (if that’s what you want).

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:31 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:22 am
soggy mittens wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 pm
External tap is a great idea. Though for me half the point of having a tape echo emulator is having the ability to control the repeat rate with an expression pedal. So for me it’d have to either have a dedicated tap tempo switch, or you should be able to plug a footswitch into the exp in to have direct tap tempo (if that’s what you want).
Or if the switch could do the Walrus momentary thing where holding it down ramps to max feedback or something. Get those good old delay freakouts.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:20 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:53 pm
The TR-2 is hot trash. I know some people love it and even swear by it, but that thing sounds like poo to me. It bewilders me that they still make it so that the volume drops, and to me it just sounds dull. Like mush. Like oatmeal that fell on the floor and got stepped in by a muddy boot. Like I need to clean my ears
I think the problem is that it's still better than so many other tremolo pedals out there! I fell down a huge tremolo rabbithole a few years ago and the only two I came back to were the TR-2 and the Fulltone ST-2 Stereo Trem. I really liked a lot of the things that the Spaceman Voyager I did but it made everything sound drier somehow. I liked it but eventually sold both of the ones I had. Actually, I had a bunch of Spaceman pedals but they all sounded too dry and sterile for me and sold them all. Funny that I went from that back to Boss .
Last edited by hulakatt on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:54 pm

Yoshi Ikegami wrote: Hello _______________
Thanks for your proposal. We have a lot what we have to do, the list of request is quite long. I’ve got a lot of request from bunch of cult guys.😉
This time we decided to create FZ-1W as a vintage sound fuzz by using modern circuit and parts. We are very much inspired by our experience with Tone Bender Macaris. That’s why we made FZ-1W this time. We just wanted to follow fuzz history from the original fuzz sound this time. So, FZ-1W is inevitable to us.
FZ-2 sound is kind of next step, it’s vintage Japanese fuzz sound. Creating one pedal is not easy job, we don’t make a fake or copy like some other brands, so it takes time.
Thank you for your support!
Just got posted an hour ago, interesting ... I mean not a definite answer but a big hint at the very least. xD
If OSG has tort me anything...

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:45 pm

soggy mittens wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:54 pm
Yoshi Ikegami wrote: Hello _______________
Thanks for your proposal. We have a lot what we have to do, the list of request is quite long. I’ve got a lot of request from bunch of cult guys.😉
This time we decided to create FZ-1W as a vintage sound fuzz by using modern circuit and parts. We are very much inspired by our experience with Tone Bender Macaris. That’s why we made FZ-1W this time. We just wanted to follow fuzz history from the original fuzz sound this time. So, FZ-1W is inevitable to us.
FZ-2 sound is kind of next step, it’s vintage Japanese fuzz sound. Creating one pedal is not easy job, we don’t make a fake or copy like some other brands, so it takes time.
Thank you for your support!
Just got posted an hour ago, interesting ... I mean not a definite answer but a big hint at the very least. xD
Ohhh, now that is encouraging! I'm really kinda in shock how much I like the FZ-1w so far and I'd buy an FZ-2w in a heartbeat! I absolutely am addicted to octave fuzzes.
She/Her

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:39 am

cestlamort wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:21 am

I picked up an old ME5 on the recommendation of a few people here on OSG, if that counts, and it is a great way to have some boss sounds on a budget.
Rather than bumping the 10-year-old Boss ME thread, I figured it might be worth pointing out here that although the Boss ME-5 has stereo outs, the chorus is not stereo, as I discovered when I finally ran it in stereo this last weekend. Still cool, but a bit less so.

(And also worth reiterating that the chorus is not a CE-1 – despite what the internet may claim).

The factory presets may not put hair on your chest, but some will put hair on your metal.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:01 am

Right- CE-2W, BD-2 (what a bargain!), DD-5 (reverse is incredible), DD-7 (great value, my first delay), SD-1 (once modded at least), RE-20 (recently tried one and now I want one BAD), and the FB-2 (a useful bit of kit, even if the feedback part is rather useless).

Wrong- DS-1 (yes it's a classic, but it's still a buzzy piece of shit), DD-6 (no real improvement over any other DD), CE-3 (analogue, but adds a shit ton of noise), DS-2 (can do that nasaly, Frusciante/Butler lead tone well but I think a cocked wah is a better option).

Meh- DM-2 (had a few, find them pretty clinical), CE-5 (again, kinda clinical), OD-3 (people rave about it but again... just kinda generic to me), any of the digital phasers (though the barbershop-pole setting is cool)

On the fence- Metalzone. I know it can be tweaked to sound good, but more often than not it's in bad hands and sounds utterly awful.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:18 pm

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:01 am

Wrong- DS-1 (yes it's a classic, but it's still a buzzy piece of shit)
I had one of the OG ones in mid 2020, 1979 I believe, and I was blown away how different it sounded to any other DS-1 I'd played or heard...even the mid-late 80s examples. Turned down low it had a really open overdrive sound to it and minimal low-end loss. One of the rare examples of the 'the old ones were the best' being categorically true.

I would have kept it but I was locked out of work thanks to the pandemic and needed to pay the mortgage. I think some lunatic paid me £250 for it.

These days my main overdrive is a lowly BD-2. £30 used and sounds great.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:45 am

Jazzmastervsjaguar wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:43 am
Oh man a compact version of the space echo would be awesome!
Well, how about that: https://www.gearnews.com/leak-boss-re-2 ... hC3HuRfcn8

Looks only half as good as the fan made waza version but it might be real:

What y'all say?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:01 am

Zork wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:45 am
What y'all say?
It's very convincing. Obviously, if it's real, I'll buy one as soon as possible

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:40 pm

If one of those modes is a higher fidelity/new tape mode I may be interested. I'm falling a bit out of love with my bb delay as it's just too dark for me at the moment. If this isn't Waza Tone Bender territory I might pick one up.