New Pedals Day (Keeley Caverns v2 + EQD Hoof)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New Pedals Day (Keeley Caverns v2 + EQD Hoof)

Post by Jonesie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:52 am

I decided that my gain / delay pedals were kinda boring me, so I went out and got a couple of pedals to see if it'd be more inspiring for me. I searched around Sweetwater and saw that the Keeley was available for $20 less at a demo price, and then the hoof I'd always just been curious about.

The Caverns is a lot of fun. Nice warm delay, fun reverbs (Spring / Modulated / Shimmer) and is pretty much an Ambient machine. Pairs up great with my 16 Second Delay clone.

The Hoof is different than I thought it'd be, it's more overdrivey than expected, I was assuming it'd be a bit more muffy. Very good sounding pedal though.

Here's the board:

Guitar -> SHO Clone -> Box of Rock -> Big Cheese Clone -> EQD Hoof -> Ernie Ball MVP volume pedal (w/ TU-2 Out)-> Keeley Caverns v2 -> ManecoLooper "Sweet 16" 16 second delay -> 1963 Ampeg J12

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Pedals Day (Keeley Caverns v2 + EQD Hoof)

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:10 am

Fun. I’ve been curious about the Caverns.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:38 pm

2 great pedals added to your board if you ask me. Congrats

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:50 am

Try running a boost into the Hoof. The fact that it uses hybrid germanium/silicon clipping brings the gain down quite a bit from your average muff, and gives it a b it of a different texture. It does however love to get hit harder on the front end from other boost/low gain pedals. IMO it never does the super creamy muff tone, but it is cool all the same.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:44 pm

Cool board into a great little amp.

I had a caverns for a bit, thinking it might be cool to have a 2-in-1 pedal to save space on my small board, but I was very disappointed. The reverb has nothing to do with spring reverb, with no ‘drip’ whatsoever, and the delay was just okay. My main problem with it is very much a matter of personal taste though: I don’t care for that shimmery thing. I like ambient sounds, and I could get some useful sounds out of it after a lot of fine-tuning its too many knobs, but the caverns mostly sounded kitschy to me. I sold it and bought a catalinbread echorec and now use that and a digitech polara for delay and reverb. They sound a lot better to my ears, but course take more space and cost twice as much (together).

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:39 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:50 am
Try running a boost into the Hoof. The fact that it uses hybrid germanium/silicon clipping brings the gain down quite a bit from your average muff, and gives it a b it of a different texture. It does however love to get hit harder on the front end from other boost/low gain pedals. IMO it never does the super creamy muff tone, but it is cool all the same.
Yes i feel the Hoof is for those wanting a grittier tone. I dont like the smoothness of a muff myself- in the end it was the fuzz war setting of a DBA apocalypse i chose- similar but even more of that: perhaps its closer to the discontinued 'Cloven Hoof' all germanium version. I am same with rats, there is less saturation in these clipping diodes but somehow they feel heavier, dirtier, attackier.

Iheartreverb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Iheartreverb » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Lovely set up. I used two caverns running into each other and then running into a muff as my main board for a while. I basically liked a few different settings on the Caverns so doubled down. Mainly the modules reverb on both and the delay on both just running different length or blends and all together it was amazing. Mine (and I’m not sure this was typical, maybe is?) also did that Deluxe Memory man thing of the delays sounding boosted and even adding more grill and feeding each other back ( but not like oscillation).
Have fun!