Want an Anolog Delay

Everyone needs a stompbox.
del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Want an Anolog Delay

Post by del » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:02 pm

The Caroline Kilobyte is a great analog-sounding (but digital in technology) delay. It has lots of flexibility and is well within your price range.

Slightly obscure, but still in your price range when you find them used, are the Malekko Ekko 300 and 600 (the number refers to available delay time in miliseconds). These areMaleeko's first pedals and are true analog delays that are excellent in their simplicity and usability.

I have a bunch of delays, including these three - and they are the ones I use all the time.

I hope this is helpful.
~del
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:19 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:39 am
If it were me, I would go with the AD900. It is a fairly clear tone for an analog circuit. But it still has a lot of character. The voicing is middle of the road and very versatile. I think it's about 600ms or so which is usually enough. It will self oscillate as well. It is just about impossible to make it sound bad.
^ This all the way. The AD-900 is my go-to delay almost all the time. I have a 70s DMM which is awesome in its own right but the AD-900 just always does it for me. They're simple and built like tanks as well. (and definitely had for good deals since they're still kinda under the radar.) :ph34r:
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Considering you’re after something ‘basic’ (which i totally get - i’m into that too) it’s hard to look past the Boss Waza Delay. Plus you’ll get plenty of change from your $300 budget.

I got one with expectation of it being ok as a workhorse, but it really exceeded expectation. Really quiet, very nice repeats, and easy to use.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:04 am

I've had a few Carbon Copies and I currently have the Rubberneck. Rubberneck definitely can get into interesting/weird territory and sounds nice and deep but is a bit overcomplicated at times. I'd have loved to see DOD do a 'dumbed down' version with less knobs.

My TC Flashback2 is currently on the board because it takes up way less space and the tape mode is making me happy.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:11 am

Seems like the most appropriate time to show my support for the DOD 680 Analog delay.*

They used to sell for around £100-150 but prices seem to have risen, for a clean model anyway. I'm sure you can find a beat up version for a similar price but even the cleanest examples are well within your budget.
They have their own power cable, which might be a problem, but they sound amazing!! Very lush & organic with quite dark trails. They also self-oscillate, which is a lot of fun.

Basically a very, very good one-trick pony.

* the guy in the clip got the chip wrong. It's not an MN3005. This pedal uses a SAD Reticon 4096.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DarnWeight » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:35 pm

They don't get a ton of love, but I really like the Vox Double Deca Delay. It's the chunky red one in their Tone Garage line from a few years back. Simple four knobber (level,modulation,feedback,time), goes up to 900ms, and has a long/short/both toggle..the "both" mode is pretty unique, and gives a combo of synced short and long delay together. It's deffo in the darker/softer/thumpier camp, but hey, that's the analog sound. Mine's been rock solid, and has (by far) the least aliasing/clock noise of any analog delay I've owned. Discontinued, but I still see used ones pop up for not a lot of money.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm

Lots of folks like the MXR Carbon Copy.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:12 pm

I used to think I liked analog delays because my first one was an old Memory Man. Other analog delays didn’t cut it, so I went to a newer Memory Man. It was just as good. I am currently without an analog delay because I sold my DMM because it took up too much space, but I would go back to one in a heartbeat if that wasn’t a consideration.

What I’m saying is get the memory man.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:27 pm

del wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:02 pm
Slightly obscure, but still in your price range when you find them used, are the Malekko Ekko 300 and 600 (the number refers to available delay time in miliseconds). These areMaleeko's first pedals and are true analog delays that are excellent in their simplicity and usability.
looks like they're only doing 200 more (which is a shame), but my wife and i both have one of the original 616s and love them. basically a nicer sounding carbon-copy with controls for the warble. i'd totally jump on that limited run if they still have any- might be worth a bit of money someday too.

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:21 am

Boss DM2 or Deluxe Memory Man

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Want an Analog Delay

Post by cestlamort » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:48 am

We've been in a golden age of analog delays for maybe the last 10 years (or so): Tons of options that all sound great and many are really cheap.

Some people have gone through countless fuzz pedals, I happened to do the same with delays.

My first pedal (other than some terrible DOD overdrive) was an Ibanez AD-80 and I essentially learned to play by playing through/off of that pedal. It just really sits well vs the guitar signal and feels organic. It's also pretty dark. I do really like the whole family of Ibanez (and Maxon) delays. The AD Mini (which is a great bargain) is somewhere between an AD80 and AD9 (a bit clearer and less blurry). (Ibanez / maxon rundown: the maxon ad-80 reissue is actually an ad9. Check out the L and 10 series too: The delay champ is a great sleeper. Sometimes you can find a bargain in the UE405 (rack, ad80) or UE305 (floor, ad9) multieffects. The Maxon ad900 is really nice, like a hifi in a good way ad9. I found the AD-202 rack to be too hi-fi, actually).

The Boss DM-2w has a different flavor (more "pilllowy" than "blurry" perhaps) and does some things that the Ibanez delays don't, especially at shorter delays times. The one I had also had some noise in the repeats at longer delay times, but it was cool and inspiring. And "inspiring" is the point, right?

I still have two deluxe memory man delays (90s, different versions) that sound like they come from the same family but have distinct differences in the sound and feel, especially in the first repeats. Both however do the great trick of making everything sound better in a warm chorusy whirr.

I found the Malekko 600 dark to still be a bit bright for my tastes (and probably hard to find these days). I haven't tried their later delays. The carbon copy is worth trying out as well.

An old arion SAD-1 might be worth keeping an eye out for (and may have my favorite acronym for my own post-punk mope rock tastes).

A lot of analog delays sound too "good" in a way, as the repeats are either too distinct or too clear or don't mush together with the signal quite right. Like a digital emulation, they seem to focus on simply rolling off the highs and having a slight degradation with the repeats, but there's something more going on with the really great ones. From my own experience, I was an "analog delay only" zealot for years, mostly because I liked how they pleasantly degraded/changed the guitar sound and feel, especially in comparison to the "good" digital delays, but I've since discovered that I also really like some of the earlier digital delays and how they provide another flavor of unfaithfulness (Boss DD-2, Digitech PDS/RDS etc). Funnily, after being so adamant about analog, my own board doesn't even have an analog delay these days (Korg SDD3000 as main delay, Boss DD-2 as secondary).

In short, my favorites are the old AD80 and DMM big box. If I were getting one now, I'd probably buy an AD mini if I wanted a solid delay or a DM-2w if I wanted to experiment more. If I liked what they did, I'd maybe then investigate some of the more obscure/expensive ones. For me, the last two pedals I'd sell would be the AD80 and DMM.

VPO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by VPO » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Maybe Maxon AD10 or Way Huge Aqua Puss.

stereosanctity
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stereosanctity » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:48 pm

I’m somewhat of a delay addict. In the analog realm I’ve had a Carbon Copy. Eventually sold it because it just sounded dead to me. I splurged and got a used Chase Bliss Tonal Recall and absolutely love it. So many tones and just sounds juicy.

I also have an EQD Space Spiral on my board which I love. Super dark and amazing modulation. Might look into that if you’re looking for an analog sound but don’t have your heart set on analog components.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:25 pm

Guitarists: the only people who want more delays. :ph34r:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:35 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:49 pm
jorri wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:39 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:35 pm
i dunno if it's analog but i have a old blood noise endevors black fountain on my board. i never thought i'd find a better dark delay than the behringer vintage time machine but hey. i did.
Nah, its a digital emulation of oil can delay.

Id probably go for a Memory Man, due to the modulation potential. But for my budget i have a Teisco.
honestly, it could have fooled me. my only downside with it is it can't really self oscillate like others.
I think DSP and digital PT chips can fool, but its like its contained somewhere where under certain situations it wont react the same, like when it distorts, oscillates, has overdrive before.

I also had a joyo subsidiary brand that was reviewed and listed and reviewed everywhere as analog too. But it wasnt, it was just warm like a DD2 with some filtering - so i wonder if there's a direct comparison made by those who judge between them too?

But particularly if its oil- can for sure you probably dont want an actual oil can delay, and is a bit different tp BBD, probably not oscillatable in the first place and bit toward tape, bit toward being darker.