Reverb the pedal movie

Everyone needs a stompbox.
cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Reverb the pedal movie

Post by cpeck » Tue May 04, 2021 7:19 am

I was pretty hyped up for this and felt disappointed after watching it. My initial response was that it was a missed opportunity, but I'm not even sure what the opportunity was, tbh. My friend said it was a problem of scope -- like, calling a movie Cars and trying to document the history of all cars would be a little silly; seems to apply here as well. It was a bummer that there were so few musicians in it, and a lot of that footage was just reused from previous promotional stuff (Corgan talking about the EHX op amp reissue, K Shields from the Jazzmaster promo). Albini was pretty articulate as he tends to be.

Overall the vibe was a little weird--a lot of back patting for the pedal community and some cult of personality stuff. Maybe the guy from Chase Bliss is the real rock star after all -- I use his pedals and they are great. A LOT of JHS Josh, but this wasn't a terrible showing for him. He was more of a narrator and they seemingly cut his attempts at being funny.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 am

cpeck wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:19 am
I was pretty hyped up for this and felt disappointed after watching it. My initial response was that it was a missed opportunity, but I'm not even sure what the opportunity was, tbh. My friend said it was a problem of scope -- like, calling a movie Cars and trying to document the history of all cars would be a little silly; seems to apply here as well. It was a bummer that there were so few musicians in it, and a lot of that footage was just reused from previous promotional stuff (Corgan talking about the EHX op amp reissue, K Shields from the Jazzmaster promo). Albini was pretty articulate as he tends to be.

Overall the vibe was a little weird--a lot of back patting for the pedal community and some cult of personality stuff. Maybe the guy from Chase Bliss is the real rock star after all -- I use his pedals and they are great. A LOT of JHS Josh, but this wasn't a terrible showing for him. He was more of a narrator and they seemingly cut his attempts at being funny.
I think overall you're correct - trying to tackle both the genesis of the industry and also the complexity in the current marketplace definitely was a large scope. That being said, if they had applied some type of narrative or structure to it (say, by focusing on counterculture, technology...some type of unifying factor), I think they could have handled the breadth of the film better. If just felt like sometimes it was history, sometimes it was tech, sometimes it was just guys telling stories about the time their buddy did something. Just not a lot of cohesion or consistency. If a doc feels obligated to do a different title screen every 5 minutes, it's usually a sign the organization of the narrative is not great.

Like at one point they were saying "you couldn't get more different personalities than some of these builders." And I'm just left wondering...well why don't you show us that, then? That's a lot more interesting than the time the DBA guy went on a backpacking trip one time.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 am

Trout wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:21 am
I heard it was delayed ::)
I heard it was delayed. :ph34r:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 am
Trout wrote:
Maggieo wrote:
Trout wrote:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 am
Maggieo wrote:
Trout wrote:
Maggieo wrote:
Trout wrote:
There’s really been a chorus of responses like this.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 04, 2021 9:18 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am
Maggieo wrote:
Maggieo wrote:

Maggieo wrote:

The reverberations could fill a hall.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue May 04, 2021 9:21 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:18 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Maggieo wrote:

If the puns in this thread get any worse I’m calling the fuzz.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Tue May 04, 2021 10:59 am

They should just do a part 2, and focus on all the stuff they left out of the film.

Overall I was entertained enough, but then I got my rental free for buying one of the limited Pedal Movie pedals a month ago, so I didn't sink any money into it.
The first part about the OG guys was great, but I could have used way more about the pedals/builder from the mid 90's to the early 10's, they didn't go deep on the first part, and barely scratched the surface of the latter.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 am

Clif Taylor's FUZZ movie is a ton of fun and is a dirty, indie alternative to the more polished, corporate Reverb movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43fE0Iwslc
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:21 am
Maggieo wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:

Well done for avoiding flange and muff.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Wed May 05, 2021 6:49 pm

Ended up watching it, first half was a history rehash that every other gear doco has covered a million times before just from a slightly different angle. And the second half was an elite boutique builders backslapping circle jerk promo doco. imo. It really does highlight how much a lot of them are either pushing boundaries and creating pedals that are obtuse noise makers that more often pull people away from actual "playing" and enter more noise generating territory.... or creating the same old effects with flashy personalized/branded graphics. But overall it was ok, I don't wanna be too negative ..maybe just say it wasn't for me just like noise generating effects are not for me. Also the avoidance of the proco rat was weird, that thing is so popular and worthy of at least 15 seconds of discussion.

EDIT: they also mentioned website forums where people complain and whine about just about anything so yeah, here I am. :)
If OSG has tort me anything...

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu May 06, 2021 4:04 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:21 am
Maggieo wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:

Really?? I think you’re distorting the truth :-/

I smell a rat....

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 06, 2021 7:23 am

It took me three days to slog through it. And I fucking love pedals.

I also love competent movie-making. Did dis picture have it? No. Weknowdis.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 am

Nearly all of us that frequent the Effects section LOVE pedals, or at least have a love/hate relationship with them.

OSG was formed to talk about Jazzmasters and Jaguars. We devote a lot of conversation on the bedrock idea that those two guitars, in particular, are pretty cool. Obviously we all like a zillion other guitars as well, and some of us actually like non-offsets *more.*

But pedals. I mean, they/we are all over the place. The more you learn the more you realize you don't know. What is YOUR main sound? Did you start with Boss pedals? Ibanez or Maxon? DoD? Danelectro? Random Chinese knock offs? Whatever you could find at the cheapest price? Are you a millennial that started when there was a lot more info online?

We all come from SO MANY different places on pedals that it's next to impossible to please us all. I am a Rat devotee, and am therefore annoyed they didn't talk about it, but cripes, I already know a fair amount about it, so seeing some pedal nerds fawn over a pedal I already love isn't really going to do too much for me. I guess it's like how you're supposed to get excited when some song or a band on tour calls out your hometown.

All of our boards that we post here are totally different and there are only a few pedals that we have in common. So many different factors go into our choices and most of them are completely subjective.

Suffice it to say, as we have all already figured out, that a Pedal Movie is going to please a narrow section of devotees, and all of us pedal nerds with our particular favorites will be a little put out.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:18 am

Got around to watching most of it. I did get the popcorn out when the 90’s came around because I knew they were going to have to talk about Mike Fuller. I wonder why he wasn’t interviewed for the movie?

I dunno, it just seemed like a 2 hour plus advertisement trying to drive up sales on Reverb and it’s closest collaborators, that people are supposed to pay for. While dry, the first half was better. By the time they got to the boutique builders of the 00’s I was getting afraid of them having an actual on screen circle jerk.

My favourite thing about it was seeing the milk carton from Blurs Coffee and TV video on PGS Andy’s shelf.