Reverb the pedal movie

Everyone needs a stompbox.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Reverb the pedal movie

Post by JVG » Sat May 08, 2021 4:47 pm

Wish i hadn’t visualised the circle jerk comment :-X

I haven’t seen the movie, and don’t plan on paying to see it. When a free version escapes, i’ll have a look. Not because i’m tight with money, but because it would appear to essentially be an advertisement in disguise. If it was made independently by someone with education and entertainment as the main motives, i would pay.

I’m weening myself off reverb in general. I don’t sell stuff there, and i’m becoming reluctant to buy there as well, seeing as how much reverb takes in commission - just doesn’t seem fair to retailers. I still browse, and when i see something, i contact the seller to see if there is a non-reverb way to purchase the item ;) Often works out better for both parties.

Went a bit off track there, sorry!

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 pm

the first 2/3 of the film traces the history of the industry (it's excellent), while the last 1/3 examines and -- horror of horrors! :D -- celebrates the current state of the industry. not sure how they'd manage the latter bit without talking to manufacturers and mentioning their products. this idea that the film is some kind of dressed up advertisement for the Reverb platform is ... a bit of a stretch. :)

anyway, if the builders profiled sell a few more of their products as a result, well, maybe someone can explain how that's a bad thing. and you know, they all sell direct, too. :whistle:

if anything, that's what the film made me really jazzed about: the industry as a whole, and supporting these domestic startups alongside the the legacy brands like Ibanez, MXR and Boss. creativity, initiative, craftsmanship, entrepreneurial pluck, domestic manufacturing and jobs .... these are good things, and i'm doubling down on supporting them. based on where i am on the waiting list, it looks like my next pedal buy will be the King of Tone, and the film made me feel extra good about that 8)

for an alternate vision, go watch a few episodes of the "Affordaboard" guy flogging cheap-ass Chinese knockoffs.
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Sun May 09, 2021 8:05 pm

I can kind of see both sides. Like I enjoy this kind of thing and it's fun to watch. I'll probably rewatch it at some point. But I also understand some people are annoyed at the whole "I took a fuzz face and added 20% more gain and my buddy took a fuzz face and changed the eq slightly! Also, we're both geniuses and that'll be 399.99 plus tax." I get that too.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 am

ElephantDNA wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:05 pm
"I took a fuzz face and added 20% more gain and my buddy took a fuzz face and changed the eq slightly! Also, we're both geniuses and that'll be 399.99 plus tax." I get that too.
Please do a collaboration with your buddy and sell the limited edition with a cool paint job on Instagram for $599. I MUST HAVE IT.

Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paco » Fri May 14, 2021 2:31 pm

I don't know if this is allowed (I'm sorry if it's not :freako: ), here's a link for the movie:

https://cuevana3.io/42342/the-pedal-mov ... ZA2lVv7eBQ

I thought the first 2/3's of the movie were just fine, the 90's boutique era with Mike Piera from Analogman, Craig Anderton and Zach Vex in particular was nicely represented, although somewhat basic and quickly ran by.

The whole last part was kind of cringey for some reason, the whole contemporary pedal scene bit. I deeply respect all of the builders and their work, and I do think Josh's work as a pedal youtuber is important, but honestly I'm not a big fan of most of their work (and work ethics). I would have loved to see more of Jeorge, Robert Keeley, Fran Blanche and some important (and super talented) characters who are completely missing, like Bjorn Juhl, Jack Brossart of Prescription Electronics or even Devi, from Devi Ever. Some other builders were kind of left out too, the malekko guys (which I think are pretty talented too) were only on screen for a punch line! And international builders (non white and non binary in particular) are mostly left out too.

They also rant about forums and @trolls like me and you! That part was really cringey too. :fp:

I think it's safe to assume this movie is an updated, more mainstream and super commercial version of "Fuzz: The Sound that Revolutionized the World", which is an amazing, uber cool and even esoteric (as described earlier :-* ) hell of a movie, made by Clif Taylor with some help from Joe Gore, the great Tom Waits guitarist. This is the ultimate pedal movie. The working musician version of a pedal movie.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 pm

I finally watched it a couple of days ago...overall I liked it, although the I could have done without the mini-moanfest about the guitar playing demographic/audience in the end. 7/10 from me.

While Fuzz The Documentary was way lower production compared to the ritz and glamour of Reverb's production, it is still the better doc in my view.
Resident Spartan.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat May 15, 2021 2:22 am

I'm a bit confused. Is "Fuzz: The Sound that Revolutionized the World" the same thing as "Fuzz The Documentary"? Do I need both or either in my life? And are Reverb's fees really that high? (The affordaboard guy suggested they charge 3% or 5%. That's a third or half of eBay's 10% (I did the maths so you don't have to).)

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Mon May 17, 2021 11:51 pm

Paco wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:31 pm
I don't know if this is allowed (I'm sorry if it's not :freako: ), here's a link for the movie:

https://cuevana3.io/42342/the-pedal-mov ... ZA2lVv7eBQ
Thanks for the link. It's still not available on Google Play here in Belgium ("available worldwide" doesn't mean US and UK, Reverb! ::)), so I watched it this way. Although the first half was definitely better than the second half, I was expecting it to be way more of a comercial and most of the builders interviewed had interesting things to say. It's not the best movie ever made, but it's definitely not as bad as some here say and I liked it overall.

Logrinn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Logrinn » Tue May 18, 2021 4:40 am

I really liked it. Fun to take a trip down memory lane.
Seeing a lot of those old pedals at first made me a bit sad knowing that I used to own several of them. And now I don't.
But at the same time I'm realising that the new pedals I'm acquiring nowadays are so much better than many of the old ones.