What splitter? (Stereo)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Post Reply
User avatar
Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 am
Location: England

What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by Nudger » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 am

Can anyone recommend a simple stereo splitter..

I know what I need but am struggling to describe what I am after in a search.
My searches seem to throw up splitters that take the stereo signal and convert into two mono (same) signals.
What It needs to do is..

1/4 Stereo Jack in.
Signal is split into two halves..
So that is two different signals (for example bass from 1,treble from 2) exiting two 1/4 mono jacks.

Think I can make one if I cant buy one, If I have to take that route is it as simple as my drawing or have I missed something?
Thanks in advance
Image

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:20 am

Nudger wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 am
Can anyone recommend a simple stereo splitter..

I know what I need but am struggling to describe what I am after in a search.
My searches seem to throw up splitters that take the stereo signal and convert into two mono (same) signals.
What It needs to do is..

1/4 Stereo Jack in.
Signal is split into two halves..
So that is two different signals (for example bass from 1,treble from 2) exiting two 1/4 mono jacks.

Think I can make one if I cant buy one, If I have to take that route is it as simple as my drawing or have I missed something?
Thanks in advance
Image
Does it need to be a stand-alone splitter? Because using like a reverb or delay at the end of your signal path that has stereo outs should work here I think?

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4778
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:46 am

If I understand correctly the OP is looking to split 1 stereo TRS jack into two stereo TRS.

I think the most pro way to do this to avoid ground loops and noise would be to use something like the Radial Shotgun and use TRS>dual TS cables for the ins and outs.

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:46 am
If I understand correctly the OP is looking to split 1 stereo TRS jack into two stereo TRS.

I think the most pro way to do this to avoid ground loops and noise would be to use something like the Radial Shotgun and use TRS>dual TS cables for the ins and outs.
Yeah my other suggestion was going to be stereo in and stereo out. I just feel like I'm missing something in translation as to the use case here.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4778
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:39 am

ElephantDNA wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:46 am
If I understand correctly the OP is looking to split 1 stereo TRS jack into two stereo TRS.

I think the most pro way to do this to avoid ground loops and noise would be to use something like the Radial Shotgun and use TRS>dual TS cables for the ins and outs.
Yeah my other suggestion was going to be stereo in and stereo out. I just feel like I'm missing something in translation as to the use case here.
It could also be just TRS in>dual TS out, but in that case isolation may be needed on one leg if running out to two amps.

User avatar
Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 am
Location: England

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by Nudger » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm

Thanks for your input chaps but im not very savy in this field so dont know what half of you are on about. :-[

Il try my best to go into more detail.

Stereo signal in via 1/4 jack

Stereo is then split into the two halves "like your hi fi would split stereo recording to two speakers"

Half of the stereo signal leaves through 1/4 mono jack socket

The other half through another 1/4 mono jack socket

The two mono leads go to separate amps.

Please let me know if there is a product out there that can do this..

If not, Can I make One ? Is my diagram fit for purpose?

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Nudger wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm
Thanks for your input chaps but im not very savy in this field so dont know what half of you are on about. :-[

Il try my best to go into more detail.

Stereo signal in via 1/4 jack

Stereo is then split into the two halves "like your hi fi would split stereo recording to two speakers"

Half of the stereo signal leaves through 1/4 mono jack socket

The other half through another 1/4 mono jack socket

The two mono leads go to separate amps.

Please let me know if there is a product out there that can do this..

If not, Can I make One ? Is my diagram fit for purpose?
If you just want a basic A/B/Y box, I would still recommend Morley at the budget level. Probably Radial higher end offerings if we're looking for a bunch of controls.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4778
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:34 pm

http://www.ultramagnetics.org/splitter.html

This has the exact connections you’re looking for.

Kind of spendy, but includes isolation on one leg.

Or you could DIY a TRS>dual TS box and if it’s noisy add a passive isolation transformer between one of its outputs and your first amp.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by jorri » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Nudger wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm
Thanks for your input chaps but im not very savy in this field so dont know what half of you are on about. :-[

Il try my best to go into more detail.

Stereo signal in via 1/4 jack

Stereo is then split into the two halves "like your hi fi would split stereo recording to two speakers"

Half of the stereo signal leaves through 1/4 mono jack socket

The other half through another 1/4 mono jack socket

The two mono leads go to separate amps.

Please let me know if there is a product out there that can do this..

If not, Can I make One ? Is my diagram fit for purpose?
You can use a stereo Y cable but I am guessing with more flexibility to physically get cables to two amps, you want a box? That's not a Y box or ABY or anything. Effectively the box doesn't do anything other than if you were to tear out and separate the connection inside the stereo cable (not a suggestion).

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_s ... tkabel.htm just for example, but I am guess you want better. two rings for stereo, one for mono.

It would also be easy to make yes, so a stereo jack has 3 pins, and you just send the ring and tip to the two 'tip' pins of the mono jacks, connect all grounds. but as for ground loops and hum probably best getting something like the above post.

User avatar
Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 am
Location: England

Re: What splitter? (Stereo)

Post by Nudger » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:00 am

jorri wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:55 pm
Nudger wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm
Thanks for your input chaps but im not very savy in this field so dont know what half of you are on about. :-[

Il try my best to go into more detail.

Stereo signal in via 1/4 jack

Stereo is then split into the two halves "like your hi fi would split stereo recording to two speakers"

Half of the stereo signal leaves through 1/4 mono jack socket

The other half through another 1/4 mono jack socket

The two mono leads go to separate amps.

Please let me know if there is a product out there that can do this..

If not, Can I make One ? Is my diagram fit for purpose?
You can use a stereo Y cable but I am guessing with more flexibility to physically get cables to two amps, you want a box? That's not a Y box or ABY or anything. Effectively the box doesn't do anything other than if you were to tear out and separate the connection inside the stereo cable (not a suggestion).

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_s ... tkabel.htm just for example, but I am guess you want better. two rings for stereo, one for mono.

It would also be easy to make yes, so a stereo jack has 3 pins, and you just send the ring and tip to the two 'tip' pins of the mono jacks, connect all grounds. but as for ground loops and hum probably best getting something like the above post.
Thanks jorri, Im on it ;)

Post Reply