Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Post Reply
User avatar
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am
Location: The ATL
Contact:

Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by Beebe » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:30 pm

Anyone know of a standard size delay Pedal with Volume and Mix or Blend control? I see the JHS Panther Cub does, but wondering if there is something less expensive.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by ElephantDNA » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Beebe wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:30 pm
Anyone know of a standard size delay Pedal with Volume and Mix or Blend control? I see the JHS Panther Cub does, but wondering if there is something less expensive.
What is our price range? The answers are going to be really different if we have $50 or $150 to spend here. Also analog vs digital?

The first thing that comes to mind is Tech 21 Boost DLA which is digital that tries to sound like analog. It definitely has a master volume and a blend knob and sounds good. But I always like tech 21 so maybe I'm biased in that way. Used to be able to get those around 100 bucks but just looking quickly here it seems people are starting to ask more now. Probably because they don't make it anymore.

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 5657
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:43 am

Wait, what?!?

Am I misunderstanding something? Because I have never used a delay pedal that didn’t have Volume and Blend/Mix controls. Are there actually pedals that don’t, and more importantly, why wouldn’t they?

Edit: I see that OP is asking for a standard size pedal. I guess the 3 knobbers like the Ibanez AD-9 don’t have a volume control. My first delay pedal was, and still is, an EHx Deluxe Memoryman, but that’s not standard size. Well, it was in the ‘80s! All of my current delays have both controls, and I wouldn’t want one that didn’t. Good luck with your search OP.

User avatar
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am
Location: The ATL
Contact:

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by Beebe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 am

ElephantDNA wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:10 pm
Beebe wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:30 pm
Anyone know of a standard size delay Pedal with Volume and Mix or Blend control? I see the JHS Panther Cub does, but wondering if there is something less expensive.
What is our price range? The answers are going to be really different if we have $50 or $150 to spend here. Also analog vs digital?

The first thing that comes to mind is Tech 21 Boost DLA which is digital that tries to sound like analog. It definitely has a master volume and a blend knob and sounds good. But I always like tech 21 so maybe I'm biased in that way. Used to be able to get those around 100 bucks but just looking quickly here it seems people are starting to ask more now. Probably because they don't make it anymore.
Thanks! I also like Tech 21. I'll look into it for sure. I like analog in concept, but I'm not anti-digital if it sounds good.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

User avatar
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am
Location: The ATL
Contact:

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by Beebe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:52 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:43 am
Wait, what?!?

Am I misunderstanding something? Because I have never used a delay pedal that didn’t have Volume and Blend/Mix controls. Are there actually pedals that don’t, and more importantly, why wouldn’t they?

Edit: I see that OP is asking for a standard size pedal. I guess the 3 knobbers like the Ibanez AD-9 don’t have a volume control. My first delay pedal was, and still is, an EHx Deluxe Memoryman, but that’s not standard size. Well, it was in the ‘80s! All of my current delays have both controls, and I wouldn’t want one that didn’t. Good luck with your search OP.
Yeah it's crazy. The new ones offer all kinds of features and little knobs and switches for who-knows-what, but no level control.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

User avatar
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am
Location: The ATL
Contact:

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by Beebe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:01 am

ElephantDNA wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:10 pm
Beebe wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:30 pm
Anyone know of a standard size delay Pedal with Volume and Mix or Blend control? I see the JHS Panther Cub does, but wondering if there is something less expensive.
What is our price range? The answers are going to be really different if we have $50 or $150 to spend here. Also analog vs digital?

The first thing that comes to mind is Tech 21 Boost DLA which is digital that tries to sound like analog. It definitely has a master volume and a blend knob and sounds good. But I always like tech 21 so maybe I'm biased in that way. Used to be able to get those around 100 bucks but just looking quickly here it seems people are starting to ask more now. Probably because they don't make it anymore.
And I don't mind spending some money on it, so $150 would be fine. The Panther Cub is $300 which is a bit pricey.... maybe not for 1000ms of analog delay, but I don't need delay times that long.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

User avatar
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am
Location: The ATL
Contact:

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by Beebe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:18 am

To explain what I'm going for: I'm currently using the Memory Toy which has mix, and sounds good, but no level. I used a setting when recording where I had the delay signal louder than the dry. I was able to mix the part loud in Cubase, but live it's getting lost.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:43 am
Wait, what?!?

Am I misunderstanding something? Because I have never used a delay pedal that didn’t have Volume and Blend/Mix controls. Are there actually pedals that don’t, and more importantly, why wouldn’t they?

Edit: I see that OP is asking for a standard size pedal. I guess the 3 knobbers like the Ibanez AD-9 don’t have a volume control. My first delay pedal was, and still is, an EHx Deluxe Memoryman, but that’s not standard size. Well, it was in the ‘80s! All of my current delays have both controls, and I wouldn’t want one that didn’t. Good luck with your search OP.
He wants one that has effect volume, mix, and also a master volume. So, some do and some don't in standard size format.

User avatar
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am
Location: The ATL
Contact:

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by Beebe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:19 pm

ElephantDNA wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:43 am
Wait, what?!?

Am I misunderstanding something? Because I have never used a delay pedal that didn’t have Volume and Blend/Mix controls. Are there actually pedals that don’t, and more importantly, why wouldn’t they?

Edit: I see that OP is asking for a standard size pedal. I guess the 3 knobbers like the Ibanez AD-9 don’t have a volume control. My first delay pedal was, and still is, an EHx Deluxe Memoryman, but that’s not standard size. Well, it was in the ‘80s! All of my current delays have both controls, and I wouldn’t want one that didn’t. Good luck with your search OP.
He wants one that has effect volume, mix, and also a master volume. So, some do and some don't in standard size format.
I haven't used one with Effect Volume, I assume it serves a similar purpose as Mix. So I don't think I need Effect Volume and Mix. And Effect Volume would only work for me if it allows you to turn the delay signal louder than the dry. And then I want the Master Level / Volume control to turn the whole thing louder when I kick the Delay pedal on for a "solo" part. So I just need knobs for:
1. Delay Time
2. Feedback
3. Mix/Blend (maybe Effect Level)
4. Volume/Master Level
Without music, life would be a mistake.

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:18 pm

Beebe wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:19 pm
ElephantDNA wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:43 am
Wait, what?!?

Am I misunderstanding something? Because I have never used a delay pedal that didn’t have Volume and Blend/Mix controls. Are there actually pedals that don’t, and more importantly, why wouldn’t they?

Edit: I see that OP is asking for a standard size pedal. I guess the 3 knobbers like the Ibanez AD-9 don’t have a volume control. My first delay pedal was, and still is, an EHx Deluxe Memoryman, but that’s not standard size. Well, it was in the ‘80s! All of my current delays have both controls, and I wouldn’t want one that didn’t. Good luck with your search OP.
He wants one that has effect volume, mix, and also a master volume. So, some do and some don't in standard size format.
I haven't used one with Effect Volume, I assume it serves a similar purpose as Mix. So I don't think I need Effect Volume and Mix. And Effect Volume would only work for me if it allows you to turn the delay signal louder than the dry. And then I want the Master Level / Volume control to turn the whole thing louder when I kick the Delay pedal on for a "solo" part. So I just need knobs for:
1. Delay Time
2. Feedback
3. Mix/Blend (maybe Effect Level)
4. Volume/Master Level
Got it. Yeah delay controls can be all over the place. Some give you more control over time, some more control over repeats or quality of repeats, it's kind of all over the place. But not many have a boost type of quality. The tech 21 is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Though I'm sure there is some weird boutique thing I don't know about that probably does this.

User avatar
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 am
Location: middle of somewhere

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:25 pm

Tall order, especially in a small format. I'm struggling to find any that are even in a larger format, other than JHS and ...

Image
If OSG has tort me anything...

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by jorri » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:38 am

DBA echodream has master vol and delay vol. It seems to be boosting or fuzzy.
Yeh, also many multi-fx style pedal has sime kind of patch level.

But understanding what you want, maybe this is why delays feature level with no mix, especially the standalone analogue-style ones. (Other than in analogue mix control are kind of disappointing/more complex than youd expect and feature volume drops etc.) The ones i have use with a level control boost the delay well above unity - they have the inverse problem in fact of getting wet-only sounds. You'd have to have the boost, and still be some dry even if its down by 12db or howeve if you wish to have something near wet (like 90% wet) it would come with such boosting.

User avatar
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am
Location: The ATL
Contact:

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by Beebe » Sun May 02, 2021 11:25 am

It just seems crazy to me. Anyone who has ever done any mixing has surely pushed up the level fader for the solo and there is a pretty good chance they added some delay as well. It seems like solos would be one of the primary uses of a delay pedal. I might look into modding my Memory Toy pedal with something like this:

https://guitarpcb.com/product/after-bla ... ain-stage/
Without music, life would be a mistake.

User avatar
Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am
Location: The ATL
Contact:

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by Beebe » Sun May 02, 2021 11:35 am

jorri wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:38 am
DBA echodream has master vol and delay vol. It seems to be boosting or fuzzy.
Yeh, also many multi-fx style pedal has sime kind of patch level.

But understanding what you want, maybe this is why delays feature level with no mix, especially the standalone analogue-style ones. (Other than in analogue mix control are kind of disappointing/more complex than youd expect and feature volume drops etc.) The ones i have use with a level control boost the delay well above unity - they have the inverse problem in fact of getting wet-only sounds. You'd have to have the boost, and still be some dry even if its down by 12db or howeve if you wish to have something near wet (like 90% wet) it would come with such boosting.
Based on this... it actually sounds like one of the pedals with an "Effect Level" control might work for my particular application where the wet is louder than the dry. But it would be better to have mix and level so you can use the pedal as a clean boost and to add a bit of delay to spice up a solo or single string parts. I did come across one with a 3 dB boost dip switch... I don't remember what it was though, and 3dB might not be enough of a boost for a solo type situation.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4774
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Delay Pedal with Vol and Mix

Post by marqueemoon » Sun May 02, 2021 11:47 am

The Belle Epoch has an internal trimpot.

Post Reply