Eventide H9 users?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Eventide H9 users?

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:38 am

I’ve been thinking about letting go of a few things to fund one of these. I consider myself a minimalist when it comes to effects, but I like the idea of having one box that can cover a variety of sounds as a supplement to my core drive/boost and tremolo and reverb from the amp.

Any folks here using one of these who want to give me some pros and cons? The price is pretty eye watering, but seems worthwhile if the usability and sound work for me.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Eventide H9 users?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 am

One big con is that it doesn't stack -- it's the one effect you have loaded, and that's it. Some patches do multiple things (delay + verb, delay + chorus, etc) but that's the biggest limiting factor of the H9.
I've had limited time with one, and it wouldn't really work for me because of that -- I often want more than one thing going, and I'd either need multiple H9s or extra pedals anyway (which kinda misses the point of going H9).

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 am

Whilst not an H9 i couldnt imagine stacking my Space, other than drives and loops. About half the algos are already 'stacks'.
Id imagine mod and pitch factor to be more stackable.
Of course if you have a particular style then a factor/space might bring enough of this. Just thinking to list my space does drive, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch, compressor, tremolo all available as individual effects except not exactly the pitch in sense of normal pitchshift.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:19 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 am
One big con is that it doesn't stack -- it's the one effect you have loaded, and that's it. Some patches do multiple things (delay + verb, delay + chorus, etc) but that's the biggest limiting factor of the H9.
I've had limited time with one, and it wouldn't really work for me because of that -- I often want more than one thing going, and I'd either need multiple H9s or extra pedals anyway (which kinda misses the point of going H9).
Yeah. I’m aware of that limitation. Not really a dealbreaker for me. I’m not playing shoegaze or anything like that.

One thing I’m curious about though is trails. Can they be set to carry over when switching patches (pedal still engaged)?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 pm

jorri wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 am
Whilst not an H9 i couldnt imagine stacking my Space, other than drives and loops. About half the algos are already 'stacks'.
Id imagine mod and pitch factor to be more stackable.
Of course if you have a particular style then a factor/space might bring enough of this. Just thinking to list my space does drive, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch, compressor, tremolo all available as individual effects except not exactly the pitch in sense of normal pitchshift.
Maybe I should give the Space a closer look. That is most of my list.

Seems like the way the three pricing tiers work it’s heavily weighted towards steering people to the Max to get the full spectrum of available sounds, but most are gonna be pretty useless to me.

I’m still in the dark about WTF “algorithm” means in Eventide’s terminology.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:00 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 pm
jorri wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 am

I’m still in the dark about WTF “algorithm” means in Eventide’s terminology.
"Effect type" pretty much. Shimmer, hall, mangledverb etc. Id not that it never repeats the same type of verb either, like you can turn the additional effect off most and e.g. the dynaverb isnt the hall nor the tremverb. So they are like different programs not preset mixes of fx types.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:11 pm

jorri wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:00 pm
"Effect type" pretty much. Shimmer, hall, mangledverb etc. Id not that it never repeats the same type of verb either, like you can turn the additional effect off most and e.g. the dynaverb isnt the hall nor the tremverb. So they are like different programs not preset mixes of fx types.
Ok. I re-read this:

https://ftp.eventide.com/ljdl/www/H9Core/index.htm

...and that makes sense.

For the effects I want It will probably make the most sense to get the Max since I want stuff from every category. The Harmonizer version + Rotary and Plate would get me pretty close though, and would keep the focus on stuff I'd actually use in a real musical context.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:11 pm
jorri wrote:
Ok. I re-read this:

...and that makes sense.

For the effects I want It will probably make the most sense to get the Max since I want stuff from every category. The Harmonizer version + Rotary and Plate would get me pretty close though, and would keep the focus on stuff I'd actually use in a real musical context.
Or get the bare one and pick and mix plugins.

I am sure the Space has gone up in price. More than the basic h9. I got used for £200-250, in 2013, which was possibly luck. Being more recording centred, i then started getting their vsts but went back to using just the reverb bundle.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:29 am

jorri wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:11 pm
jorri wrote:
Ok. I re-read this:

...and that makes sense.

Or get the bare one and pick and mix plugins.

I am sure the Space has gone up in price. More than the basic h9. I got used for £200-250, in 2013, which was possibly luck. Being more recording centred, i then started getting their vsts but went back to using just the reverb bundle.
I just read they are going to be phasing out the Core and Harmonizer tiers at the end of March and will crediting individual algorithm purchases against the cost of “Maxing out”. Other than warranty there doesn’t seem to be much of a downside to buying used/cheap right now.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:57 am

There isn’t any trails/spillover function on the H9 (unlike the space).

I’m somewhat ambivalent about the H9, and I want to like it more than I do. I picked up a max and a core a few years back on craigslist for relatively cheap and have enjoyed them, albeit primarily for reverbs. It’s pretty great to have up to five pedals (?) effectively with all the algorithms if you own one max model. There was also a plugin bundle offered recently, free if you have a max.

That said, it takes a lot of tweaking to dial stuff in and the tons of different effects can lead to choice paralysis or at least be pretty overwhelming (especially when the “best” chorus is actually in the harmonizer algorithm instead of “chorus” etc). Highly likely that I’m doing something less than perfectly, but the modulations and delays just don’t sound as good as the dedicated pedals I’d hoped to replace. The special effects can be cool and fun, but not in regular use. Again, it may be on me, since I haven’t put in the time to fully grasp the effects architecture. Basically, I still haven’t really gotten anything other than the reverbs (and a tuner!) a permanent home in my effects chain.

Depending on what effects you want to cover, there might be other (cheaper) Swiss Army knife pedals out there, whether the OSG approved zoom cdr (which I haven’t tried) or an old Yamaha Magicstomp (no longer supported or functioning computer interface but the delays, mods and reverbs are great). The H9 is small and elegantly minimal

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:10 am

cestlamort wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:57 am

I’m somewhat ambivalent about the H9, and I want to like it more than I do. I picked up a max and a core a few years back on craigslist for relatively cheap and have enjoyed them, albeit primarily for reverbs. It’s pretty great to have up to five pedals (?) effectively with all the algorithms if you own one max model. There was also a plugin bundle offered recently, free if you have a max.

That said, it takes a lot of tweaking to dial stuff in and the tons of different effects can lead to choice paralysis or at least be pretty overwhelming (especially when the “best” chorus is actually in the harmonizer algorithm instead of “chorus” etc). Highly likely that I’m doing something less than perfectly, but the modulations and delays just don’t sound as good as the dedicated pedals I’d hoped to replace. The special effects can be cool and fun, but not in regular use. Again, it may be on me, since I haven’t put in the time to fully grasp the effects architecture. In short, I still haven’t really gotten anything other than the reverbs (and a tuner!) a permanent home in my effects chain.
I always thought Eventide chose the wrong path on the H9. An expensive box that’s somehow less than the sum of its parts. I think given the same tech that Source Audio or t.c. Electronics would have developed a better format.

Having 2 engines for running 2 algorithms either in series or parallel should have been possible at that price point. That’s something found in some rack effects decades ago.

The Source Collider can run separate delay and reverb engines at half the price. Maybe the algorithms aren’t as fancy as Eventide- fewer parameters- but they still sound good, which should be the main feature.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:22 am

I’ve thought about the Collider, but I want more than just reverb/delay. At minimum rotary speaker and a few chorus options and maybe a hard chop tremolo.

Going with a slightly bigger board is something I’ve also considered. I could definitely cover at least a few sounds with pedals I already have, but I like the idea of patches I can just call up.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:10 am
cestlamort wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:57 am

That said, it takes a lot of tweaking to dial stuff in and the tons of different effects can lead to choice paralysis or at least be pretty overwhelming (especially when the “best” chorus is actually in the harmonizer algorithm instead of “chorus” etc). Highly likely that I’m doing something less than perfectly, but the modulations and delays just don’t sound as good as the dedicated pedals I’d hoped to replace. The special effects can be cool and fun, but not in regular use. Again, it may be on me, since I haven’t put in the time to fully grasp the effects architecture. In short, I still haven’t really gotten anything other than the reverbs (and a tuner!) a permanent home in my effects chain.
I always thought Eventide chose the wrong path on the H9. An expensive box that’s somehow less than the sum of its parts. I think given the same tech that Source Audio or t.c. Electronics would have developed a better format.

Having 2 engines for running 2 algorithms either in series or parallel should have been possible at that price point. That’s something found in some rack effects decades ago.

The Source Collider can run separate delay and reverb engines at half the price. Maybe the algorithms aren’t as fancy as Eventide- fewer parameters- but they still sound good, which should be the main feature.
TC do have the Plethora. Load any toneprint x5.

Source Audio, have their editing software and some MIDI box that can link them all and recall a preset as one from many pedals - maybe theyll do an h9 style in future.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:06 am

I’ve own an h9 since they were released. It’s a great pedal, but certainly has its strengths and weaknesses. In my eyes, its strengths are ambient reverbs, the basic digital delay, reverse sounds, and rotary. A few of the oddball algos are really great as well, like the resonator, multitap, and harmidillo.

To me the real weak point is most of the mod sounds. They just didn’t age as well as the reverbs. Idk whether there lfo wave forms are to perfect or what it is exactly, but they just feel off and have that extended treble that you associate with digital modulation. I even have a hard time getting a decent trem sound that feels natural. Actually the tem in the spring reverb algo is more useful to me than the actual trem algo.

Alot of the delays haven’t aged so well either. Especially the tape and analog types.

The pitch stuff is fun, but I don’t use it much. It doesn’t do the POG thing unfortunately, which is how I typically use pitch shifters.

It seems to me that eventide is at its best when they aren’t trying to emulate existing sounds or pedals and are creating their own unique sounds.

I think it’s still an ok purchase if you want the big ambient reverb thing And as a light catch all if you just need chorus or flanger for the verse in that one song your band plays sometimes. If you have mod or delay sounds you use often, I would get a dedicated pedal for those.

If I was looking to purchase this unit now, I would also be looking at HX stomp/ HXFX, or maybe a fractal FM3/AX8 as well. They land in a similar price bracket and may do more for the money.

All that said, I’ve certainly gotten my moneys worth from the H9 and I still use it daily. There are reverbs that sound as good as the eventide on the market, but none sound like an eventide. They have a very specific feel thats hard to quantify and for me is irreplaceable in certain contexts.

The free plugins have also been useful for me.

I’ll stop rambling now. Sorry for the long post.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:17 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:06 am
I’ve own an h9 since they were released. It’s a great pedal, but certainly has its strengths and weaknesses. In my eyes, its strengths are ambient reverbs, the basic digital delay, reverse sounds, and rotary. A few of the oddball algos are really great as well, like the resonator, multitap, and harmidillo.

To me the real weak point is most of the mod sounds. They just didn’t age as well as the reverbs. Idk whether there lfo wave forms are to perfect or what it is exactly, but they just feel off and have that extended treble that you associate with digital modulation. I even have a hard time getting a decent trem sound that feels natural. Actually the tem in the spring reverb algo is more useful to me than the actual trem algo.

Alot of the delays haven’t aged so well either. Especially the tape and analog types.

The pitch stuff is fun, but I don’t use it much. It doesn’t do the POG thing unfortunately, which is how I typically use pitch shifters.

It seems to me that eventide is at its best when they aren’t trying to emulate existing sounds or pedals and are creating their own unique sounds.

I think it’s still an ok purchase if you want the big ambient reverb thing And as a light catch all if you just need chorus or flanger for the verse in that one song your band plays sometimes. If you have mod or delay sounds you use often, I would get a dedicated pedal for those.

If I was looking to purchase this unit now, I would also be looking at HX stomp/ HXFX, or maybe a fractal FM3/AX8 as well. They land in a similar price bracket and may do more for the money.

All that said, I’ve certainly gotten my moneys worth from the H9 and I still use it daily. There are reverbs that sound as good as the eventide on the market, but none sound like an eventide. They have a very specific feel thats hard to quantify and for me is irreplaceable in certain contexts.

The free plugins have also been useful for me.

I’ll stop rambling now. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, my main uses would be delay/ambient reverb, rotary, and a few modulation sounds to spice things up in certain sections of songs.

Of the others you listed the HX Stomp is the most appealing for the price and footprint. Boss has a newish smaller thing too.

Everyone seems to be bundling in amp modeling, which is fine. Just not something I really need.