Incoming NPD - Does anyone have a Keeley Loomer?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Incoming NPD - Does anyone have a Keeley Loomer?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:22 pm

I just ordered one on a whim based on the reverb algorithms alone. It still hasn’t came in yet, but I figured it was somewhat popular here. I’ve always wanted to be a “fuzz” guy but have never been able to cross that bridge yet. Hoping this can help pull me that way.

What settings are your favorite? Can it do anything outside Cocteau Twins and MBV sounds? Not that there’s anything wrong with those sounds. Those were my main motivations for grabbing it

Would love to know what some of you are using it for. Any cool tricks?

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NPD - Does anyone have a Keeley Loomer?

Post by sunburster » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 pm

I have one and love it. I mainly use it as a fuzz pedal. I love the 'full' EQ setting on the fuzz. Just a massive sound, that sounds amazing with a chorus pedal after it. It is seriously the best fuzz pedal I've ever used.

The reverse reverb is pretty cool too!

I only wish it had soft-touch bypass switches.
Last edited by sunburster on Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:04 pm

sunburster wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 pm
I have one and love it. I mainly use it as a fuzz pedal. I love the 'full' EQ setting on the fuzz. Just a massive sound, that sounds amazing with a chorus pedal after it.

The reverse reverb is pretty cool too!

I only wish it had soft-touch bypass switches.
I’m a fuzz novice..can it do pumpkins type fuzz? I know that it’s based on a muff circuit but I never knew which was which

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Pumpkins used a rare 70s op-amp fuzz with more mids. You should be able to get similar sounds in the "full" setting on the Loomer.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:10 pm

sunburster wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:05 pm
Pumpkins used a rare 70s op-amp fuzz with more mids. You should be able to get similar sounds in the "full" setting on the Loomer.
Thanks for the suggestion!! I always enjoyed the pumpkin’s feedbacky fuzz thing. But I especially love the fuzz on the song “Mayonaise”. We’ll see if I can get close with the Loomer

Obviously, the MBV fuzz thing is cool too. Either way, it will be nice having it to accompany those cool verbs.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:24 am

Following this thread because I’ve been thinking of picking up a Loomer for a while now. Would def use it for all the same reasons, primarily Pumpkins/MBV thick fuzz and the reverse verbs.

@Unicorn I wanna know how it turns out when yours arrives!

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:01 pm

tune_link wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:24 am
Following this thread because I’ve been thinking of picking up a Loomer for a while now. Would def use it for all the same reasons, primarily Pumpkins/MBV thick fuzz and the reverse verbs.

@Unicorn I wanna know how it turns out when yours arrives!
The Loomer is in. I probably spent about 45 minutes with it so far. I haven’t figured out if it can do pumpkins fuzz yet. But so far, it seems to be the very dirty MBV fuzz. Which is a good thing. The fuzz does not do anything subtle despite my brief efforts. I’m sure If I tried singles it I may be able to coax it. I was hoping it would be able to tame with my wrhbs. With that said, its one of the first heavy fuzzes I could deal with. Those reverb algorithms are also very nice. All in all, this pedal is kinda like your MBV go to which is what it was designed to do. The fuzz and the reverb work together in such a complimenting way.

It’s not one of those use it all the time pedals, but one of those pull this trick out of the hat pedals I think. I believe the Loomer is a keeper

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:43 am

Billy Corgan used a '78 IC Big Muff. I think EHX just reissued that.

The pedal for those Siamese Dream tones is the MBM Dreambox. I have a strat with Lace Sensors, and along with the Dreambox it is pure Siamese Dream tones.

Now I just need to work out how to get a bi-phase on the cheap....
a total idiot jackass

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:31 am

I had a Loomer for about 1.5 years. Whilst I really liked the left-hand portion of the pedal, I never could get on with the fuzz in any of its iterations at all. As it was a big pedal, and pedalboard space is at a premium, when I had the opportunity to buy a Keeley Realizer, I sold the Loomer.

The Keeley Realizer is/was supposed to be the left-hand side of the Loomer but it sounded like a pale imitation of it. I sold it after a few weeks. I still haven't found anything that does the MBV/Slowdive thing other than the Yamaha FX big boxes. I've had the EHX Cathedral and I didn't care for it much, either.

I contacted Keeley regarding the Realizer, wondering if there was something wrong with it because it was so weak. It took them over two weeks to answer my email, by which time I'd assumed they weren't going to respond, and had already sold it on.

If you can find an appealing fuzz sound in it then you might be happy with the pedal. I use a Tonebender (but I hate the batteries-onlyness of it; that and no light to tell you when it's on or off).
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:39 am

Tafarel wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:31 am
I had a Loomer for about 1.5 years. Whilst I really liked the left-hand portion of the pedal, I never could get on with the fuzz in any of its iterations at all. As it was a big pedal, and pedalboard space is at a premium, when I had the opportunity to buy a Keeley Realizer, I sold the Loomer.

The Keeley Realizer is/was supposed to be the left-hand side of the Loomer but it sounded like a pale imitation of it. I sold it after a few weeks. I still haven't found anything that does the MBV/Slowdive thing other than the Yamaha FX big boxes. I've had the EHX Cathedral and I didn't care for it much, either.

I contacted Keeley regarding the Realizer, wondering if there was something wrong with it because it was so weak. It took them over two weeks to answer my email, by which time I'd assumed they weren't going to respond, and had already sold it on.

If you can find an appealing fuzz sound in it then you might be happy with the pedal. I use a Tonebender (but I hate the batteries-onlyness of it; that and no light to tell you when it's on or off).
All your slowdive sounds can be found easily in an Eventide space. Or the pedals they still use, Eventide Timefactors, neunaber wets, big skys..etc..(their current set ups), the old stuff can be pretty well captured with a space.

With that said, the loomer’s Reverbs are pretty unique. The Fuzz is a one or 2 trick pony, but IMO they are good tricks when you want to apply them. Also, you mentioned the size..and I was actually meaning to comment on how I loved that the pedal wasn’t too large. It is an odd size thiugh. Not quite as big as big box effects but not small enough to fit in a boss style. I actually enjoy the size though. I think it’s ergonomic as is.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 am

Thanks for the info. In the meantime, we've kind of moved on as a band, and are now using some of the Pladask Nordisk pedals, like the Draume and Taken.

I had a Neunaber Wet, and I never could get over the choir of angels sound as it got closer to full wet. I've had a Strymon Big Sky, too, as well as a couple other Strymons. All eventually, sounded too digital, or the sound just ended up not appealing to me. It might be psychological, too.

The Eventide Space interests me, but I've never been able to try one around here. A road trip to CME is in the offing once all participants are C-19 vaccinated. I believe they carry them.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:26 am

Tafarel wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 am
Thanks for the info. In the meantime, we've kind of moved on as a band, and are now using some of the Pladask Nordisk pedals, like the Draume and Taken.

I had a Neunaber Wet, and I never could get over the choir of angels sound as it got closer to full wet. I've had a Strymon Big Sky, too, as well as a couple other Strymons. All eventually, sounded too digital, or the sound just ended up not appealing to me. It might be psychological, too.

The Eventide Space interests me, but I've never been able to try one around here. A road trip to CME is in the offing once all participants are C-19 vaccinated. I believe they carry them.
Slowdive reverb is very much a digital reverb sound. Fuzzjunkie once shared some excellent settings to me on here years ago. Anyway, modecho verb mode is your friend. It requires a lot of tweaking. But, you can get there if you’re patient. I recently sold mine because I found it to be too many offerings. Not because it wasn’t a great pedal. I make better music whenever I have less at my disposal it seems.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:47 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:26 am
Slowdive reverb is very much a digital reverb sound. Fuzzjunkie once shared some excellent settings to me on here years ago. Anyway, modecho verb mode is your friend. It requires a lot of tweaking. But, you can get there if you’re patient. I recently sold mine because I found it to be too many offerings. Not because it wasn’t a great pedal. I make better music whenever I have less at my disposal it seems.
I hear you loud and clear. Even though there are myriad sounds in these pedals, I am more of a set-and-forget person, especially live, where I don't want to fiddle with anything. I get the different textures through the combinations of pedals rather that tweaking one all the time.

Modecho verb is an Eventide Space mode?

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:48 am

Tafarel wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:47 am
Modecho verb is an Eventide Space mode?
Yes

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:52 am

Thank you.