Digital Delay with tap/subdivisions and simple interface?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Digital Delay with tap/subdivisions and simple interface?

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:52 am

Hey Friends,

So I went on a bit of a deep-dive recently with delay pedals because I wanted something with a different repeat character than my Rubberneck. In the process I tried a few (TC Nova, Dunlop Echoplex) and although there were elements of both that I liked, ultimately I found neither were really usable for me. That being said, I wanted to take it to you guys to see if you had any suggestions.

What I'm After:
- A delay with cleaner repeats. I preferred the fake-tape of the Dunlop to the TC, but with the tone knob on the TC I could dial it back enough at least.

- A delay with tap tempo. 100% a must for me at this point.

- A delay with an easily accessible subdivisions control, be it a switch or a knob. The Dunlop DOESN'T have this or else I'd still be using it. I didn't realize how much I missed having it until I went back to my Rubberneck and realized how much easier it was to use. The TC does, but I found its interface for them clunky and not great for live. A simpler switch would be better than scrolling.

At the moment it seems like potential contenders here at the Wampler Faux Tape Echo, the JHS Lucky Cat, and the Walrus Audio ARP87.

Open to suggestions, ideas. Lemme know what you guys got.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Digital Delay with tap/subdivisions and simple interface?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am

It might be overkill for what you want, but the Source Audio Nemesis does do everything that your asking for, tap tempo, sub-division, clear delay, a couple of tape simulation options. I like the multi-tap and reverse functions and they all seem to have some sort of “Shimmer.”

https://www.sourceaudio.net/nemesis-delay.html

If I got another delay, it would be this one, but I have been happy with my El Capistan and Timefactor combo.
Last edited by fuzzjunkie on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

dadsoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dadsoda » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 am

not sure if by cleaner repeats you mean brighter. I had the ARP87 and even the digital mode is very warm on the tone. I actually didn't like it for that reason since it couldn't be used for clear bright delays. I have a Source audio Nemesis now which I absolutely love and it can do just about anything other delays can. But it does cost more.. Also you can save your presets to save time in a live setting. I have mine hooked up to a midi controller so I can scroll through all of my songs on stage with a tap of my foot.

dadsoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dadsoda » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am
It might be overkill for what you want, but yhe Source Audio Nemesis does do everything that your asking for:

If I got another delay, it would be this one, but I have been happy with my El Capistan and Timefactor combo.
You beat me to it!

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:40 am

dadsoda wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am
It might be overkill for what you want, but yhe Source Audio Nemesis does do everything that your asking for:

You beat me to it!
:D

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 am

How about the lowly Boss DD-7?

If you’re switching the delay on/off mid-song you’d probably want a dedicated switch for tap tempo, but if cleaner repeats are what you want it’ll definitely do that.

There are a few people who will mod these to add an onboard tap tempo switch, or DIY.

The onboard looper doesn’t give you much time (40 seconds I think), but it’s a handy practice/writing tool). The reverse setting is also fun.

The two downsides are:

The analog emulation setting doesn’t sound that great.
Ping pong is the only option in stereo. You can’t do wet/dry.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Oh, and the Boss will do subdivisions, but it’s not very intuitive to select them.

The Swindler Magic City has an onboard tap switch and a simple toggle for subdivisions.

No personal experience, but in demos it seems the repeats are dark but clean (not swampy).

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:26 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 am
How about the lowly Boss DD-7?

If you’re switching the delay on/off mid-song you’d probably want a dedicated switch for tap tempo, but if cleaner repeats are what you want it’ll definitely do that.

There are a few people who will mod these to add an onboard tap tempo switch, or DIY.

The onboard looper doesn’t give you much time (40 seconds I think), but it’s a handy practice/writing tool). The reverse setting is also fun.

The two downsides are:

The analog emulation setting doesn’t sound that great.
Ping pong is the only option in stereo. You can’t do wet/dry.
Came to post that ^ ^ ^
Because yes, the DD7 does what you're after. Small. Simple. Will do dotted 8ths, has looper and additional fun modes...
An external tap is essential and makes things so much easier. You can build one for $15.

Side note: the DD8 has trails, and a bunch of other fun goodies (shimmer, + reverb, etc)... but doesn't seem to want to do dotted 8ths.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:28 pm

I have the ARP87 and it fits all of the parameters you're looking for except that super clean delay thing. Whoever mentioned it above, I would completely agree that even on the digital delay setting it's fairly dark. I replaced a Boss DD3 and an EQD Space Spiral with it and I still don't think I'm where I want to be with regard to delay. Maybe I too should look at that Nemesis.....

The downside is price. I'm guessing you get what you pay for with the Nemesis but if you're even looking at them used it's nearly $100 - $150 more than the ARP.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:15 pm

You can get a Digitech Obscura or a Nux Tape Echo for cheap.

They have tap tempo, but it’s that ‘hold the button down’ to engage the tap deal. I found that a little difficult to get the hang of, but I’m sure some people can do it rather easily.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:29 am

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, folks. Definitely some stuff to check out. Wasn't familiar with the Nemesis, but it seems like it's got it all.

I'd definitely require a dedicated tap switch and subdivisions switch because i don't like fussing live, so that nixes the DD7, the Obscura, and the Nux. I clearly need to give the ARP87 a go I guess before pulling the trigger if I'm interested in that.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:04 am

Now a bit hard to come by (and HUGE), check out the KORG SDD3000 if you come across one. It’s changed the way I feel about digital delays.

An old boss dd20 might fit the bill and pop up for just a bit over $100 fairly regularly.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:15 pm

I have the Arp-87, and it should suit your needs. The lack of a time knob puts a lot of people off though.

I currently have a Strymon Dig on my board. That pedal is easy mode for different subdivisions. Very clean and clear repeats, good modulation too. It replaced my Arp/DD-7 linked by tap tempo on different subdivisions combo. I’m usually doing a Slowdive/Cocteau Twins sound with mine, but it does normal too.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:21 pm

EHX Grand Canyon?
If OSG has tort me anything...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:14 pm

My first thought was exactly the Wampler Faux Tape. If you dig the Boss delay sound, how about the DD-200? It's got 2 footswitches, 1 being a dedicated tap tempo. Pretty decent price too.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384