PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Setup of the day

Post by ryland » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:15 am

MrShake wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:09 am
ryland wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:31 pm
Oooh! I got a PS-3 back in the 90's when they were new and I was young...I must have written a dozen songs based on the sounds it could make. I still have it, it's one of my favorite pedals of all time.
Fantastic! Lol, sounds like my early days with the DD-5! Haha, our band's current set-closer is a layered noise thing I came up with when I was 15. Still sounds good, damn it.

And frankly, the PS-3 would have made more sense for me. The "pitch shifted delays" (the infamous Mode 7, maybe?) would be PERFECT for me, but it would almost make too much sense. This one is weird and hobbled and a little glitchy, but using the Mode 4 detune mode for "'still chorus", kinda" and cranking up the feedback gives everything a cool, chromey trail that I can set to almost oscillate. I guess why people compare this to an EQD Rainbow Machine?

As I was telling the esteemed Sal Paradise elsewhere, I wouldn't call it "shoegaze in a box", because I hate that concept, and it wouldn't do that on its own, but adding it to anything turns anything into something shoegazey, with that late-'80s "early digital" vibe I love so much.

And the delays rule so far, too.
100% agree! I remember getting a Rainbow Machine and wondering what all the fuss was, given that the PS-3 had covered the same ground long ago.

The detune is what got ahold of me. I recorded an EP around the turn of the century that made heavy use of that setting. One of the few reviews I got called it 'weird chorus'. That was the nicest part of any review of that specific disc :ph34r:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you'd probably really dig a Hologram Microcosm. I just broke down and bought one...it's truly amazing for the sorts of things you seem to be going for.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:05 am

ryland wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:15 am
100% agree! I remember getting a Rainbow Machine and wondering what all the fuss was, given that the PS-3 had covered the same ground long ago.

The detune is what got ahold of me. I recorded an EP around the turn of the century that made heavy use of that setting. One of the few reviews I got called it 'weird chorus'. That was the nicest part of any review of that specific disc :ph34r:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you'd probably really dig a Hologram Microcosm. I just broke down and bought one...it's truly amazing for the sorts of things you seem to be going for.
So, do you remember your preferred way of setting that detune? I'm having fun experimenting, but would love to see what else is might be in something like this, outside my usual perspective...

And lol, you're dead-on, a Hologram Microcosm looks like a hunk of fine machinery. But I had to put myself in time-out after a few Boss pedals, that HM might full-on break the bank. But something to put on my savings jar shortlist, thanks!

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:35 am

MrShake wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:05 am
ryland wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:15 am

So, do you remember your preferred way of setting that detune? I'm having fun experimenting, but would love to see what else is might be in something like this, outside my usual perspective...

And lol, you're dead-on, a Hologram Microcosm looks like a hunk of fine machinery. But I had to put myself in time-out after a few Boss pedals, that HM might full-on break the bank. But something to put on my savings jar shortlist, thanks!
I recall that there were a couple detune settings I used. The most obvious was to set Pitch A a little to the left of noon and pitch B a little to the right, with a 50% wet dry mix...which is fine, but I really enjoyed having more of a 75% wet setting with Pitch A set a little more to the left of noon (somewhere around 11 - 10 o'clock) and Pitch B at more like 11:30 to the left, getting a kind of shimmering low-pitch detune that seems to keep going lower - just so ever so slightly, but never too much to sound out of control. Man, I need to pull that pedal out of the drawer!

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:05 am

Feels like I'm hogging this thread, hope nobody minds the incremental changes.

Brilliantly, I've lit up the pedals with relevant changes. Some small, but surprisingly effective.

First, I took the DOD DFX9 out of the chain, but may plop it at the beginning or put it in a bypass loop or something 'til I'm done playing with it. It's not that the bypass sound is awful, but since I've got a few other new things in this setup, I wanna get the best sense of how they sound without the dulling from the DOD. Maybe first would be best for weird looping.

I swapped the order of the back half, now it's delay->Tera Echo->reverb. I initially figured I'd want to repeat the little TE laser swirls like you would a modulation, but that thing is like a wonderful, loving pet with a big personality. It's great, but I do not yet understand why it wants what it wants. So putting it after the delay seems to work better. I seriously love that Tera Echo.

But the real key, the MONSTER development is that cable running south from the DSD-2. Do you see it up there? Well, it goes to this:

[that gorgeous English windowside setup last week finally shamed me into tidying up my desk somewhat]

I've posted another thread recently about the Trigger In functionality of the DSD-2/3, but here's what I learned today:

- The trigger/sequencer thing seems to flip the pedal on and off, in a sense, to the pattern you're sending it from a sequencer (in this case, the lit up steps on the big drum machine up there) and "capture" whatever was playing in the length of that 1/16th note sequencer step. Each activated step "opens up" the "record" of your delay pedal.

- If you're languidly jamming over a slower beat, sometimes it captures an unplucked ghost note. This had led to some wild-ass "reverse delay"-type sounds where it's caught a snippet of a decaying note.

- The delays seem to pile up and continue underneath, even in the "off" steps, so it leads to some cool rhythmic madness.

- You can adjust the level/feedback/delay time while it's in this mode, for spankier clusters of repeats where you actually hear repeats within that 1/16th window, or set it long to be able to catch those "ghost note" rhythmic swoops/trails in between plucked notes.

- The downside so far is that when it's in this mode, you can't turn the switch on and off, you've gotta kill it at the sequencer. But I'm thinking a little DIY kill switch between the sequencer/drum machine and the pedal would do the trick to bring that "sync'd delay" in and out of my chain.

It RULES. And for a guy who spends much of his home playing jamming along to the drum machine and a couple burbling synth bass lines, having another, irregular delay that's perfectly locked into the rhythm machines is nearly a game changer.

Oh, and I've been setting the PS-2 for either that Jonny Greenwood-esque octave up or a big fat low harmony, I dunno which, but with the Superfuzz or Rat sounds like a monster organ kinda thing.

Hoping to get my recording station set back up for potentially locked-in days in the sweltering heat. If I can get it going right, I'll try to come up with clips sometime.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:39 am

The DSD-2 has been on my short list for years. You finally sold me on it, I have one on the way from Japan.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:43 pm

ryland wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:39 am
The DSD-2 has been on my short list for years. You finally sold me on it, I have one on the way from Japan.
Lol, let us know how it goes. "Sorry" and "you're welcome", haha. I mean, no matter what, you'll be getting that "long chip" Boss delay goodness.

Are you planning on trying that sequencer thing? Is that what tipped you?

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:02 am

MrShake wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:43 pm
ryland wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:39 am
Lol, let us know how it goes. "Sorry" and "you're welcome", haha. I mean, no matter what, you'll be getting that "long chip" Boss delay goodness.

Are you planning on trying that sequencer thing? Is that what tipped you?
Yeah, that sequencer thing is what sold me on it. I have a lot of toys that go 'blip' and 'bleep' with CV outs and this sounds like a great avenue to explore!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:09 am

Nothing to see here. Just a new amp & avri 52 telecaster 8)

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:13 pm

Good God!

That's GORGEOUS!

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:12 pm

Here's my rig from this saturday's show at Colours Of Ostrava, one of the largest festival in the country. The band I was playing with is a classic czech Hip Hop act called PSH, they are doing couple of shows a year with a live backing band, which I'm happy to be part of. The mix tends to be VERY busy, but the combination of Jazzmaster with Teisco is just perfect. I had to replace the trusty MXR Micro Amp with KHDK no. 2 because the MXR crapped on me last minute, but I dig the KHDK.

Here's a clip from the show, I turned on the Boss Ge-7 and KHDK overdrive for the noodling :)

'72 jazzmaster noodling
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:15 pm

Kinx wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:12 pm
Wow, nice shredding on the JM! 8)

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:11 pm

Today was the first chance in a few weeks that I've had to plug in and play for a few minutes.

Teisco pickups>Sunface>Tweed Princeton

Doug
@dpcannafax

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:40 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:09 am
Nothing to see here. Just a new amp & avri 52 telecaster 8)

I love seeing a setup i could actually play, ie with lefties.

How is the Marshall?

I’ve been eyeing those off for a while, but also eyeing off a Jubilee reissue, which is around the same price. I keep baulking because the Origin 20 i’ve got sounds damn good, even though (in theory) the Studio Classic should sound a bit better due to the construction. I really need to compare the sound side-by-side…

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:25 pm

I'm really loving this Marshall, just got it this past Friday and I look forward to plugging it in every day. Just does that "thing".

I'm not forcing myself, but I'm making note to play my Strat more. It was recently refretted, and plays great, and I just changed the pickups to some Bootstrap Oatmeal Stouts, which sound great. They're significantly warmer than the original Fat 50s, which were super glassy in an ash bodied guitar. I was just hanging out on the neck pickup with the chorus and delay on making "80s Action Movie" noises. A ton of fun.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:55 am

That Marshall looks dope, and I really dig your motivation to reconnect with the Strat. It's fun when that works and maybe takes you new places, and even when it doesn't, it gets you refamiliar with your gear, makes it easier to use next time.

Get a splitter, add in that tiny Peavey setup, and turn it up so loud I can hear you out here on the coast.