Anyone else have a Keeley Realizer pedal? What am I doing wrong?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else have a Keeley Realizer pedal? What am I doing wrong?

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:08 pm

jorri wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:44 am
Tafarel wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:40 am
tequila_in_teacups wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:04 pm
I had a Polara recently and didn't find the reverse mode all that useful. Currently using an EHX Oceans 11, and being able to adjust the pre-delay and feedback is really useful – a similar control set to the Context.
I had a Polara, as well. It sounded choked and neutered. I couldn't find a useful setting on it and sold it on.

One of the other guitarists in my band has had the RV-7 for a number of years. It makes an appearance on his pedal board from time to time, but it never stays for long. Sounds brilliant when he uses it, however.
Its an odd one at first but i hear it sounding better one leads into some kind of drive. There really is not a lot of density to the fx, nor was there on the original yamaha but rather about smearing things, so it kind of seems to need the right drive/amp/playing/extra-verb imo?
The problem for me is that the Polara's reverse reverb is wet only. I messed around with it before and after drive, but that wasn't the issue.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:46 pm

tequila_in_teacups wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:08 pm
jorri wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:44 am
Tafarel wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:40 am

I had a Polara, as well. It sounded choked and neutered. I couldn't find a useful setting on it and sold it on.

One of the other guitarists in my band has had the RV-7 for a number of years. It makes an appearance on his pedal board from time to time, but it never stays for long. Sounds brilliant when he uses it, however.
Its an odd one at first but i hear it sounding better one leads into some kind of drive. There really is not a lot of density to the fx, nor was there on the original yamaha but rather about smearing things, so it kind of seems to need the right drive/amp/playing/extra-verb imo?
The problem for me is that the Polara's reverse reverb is wet only. I messed around with it before and after drive, but that wasn't the issue.
Oh i see that being an issue for some sounds. Less so for MBV since he never used it other than 100% wet, as i think slowdive also did. In fact the EQD does pretty well ata gatey sound but can't go 100% wet, so i wouldn't recommend for shoegaze gtr tbh. Good on vocals for me though

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:52 pm

*EQD Afterneath. Suppose it may be another.

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:11 pm

jorri wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:46 pm
Oh i see that being an issue for some sounds. Less so for MBV since he never used it other than 100% wet, as i think slowdive also did. In fact the EQD does pretty well ata gatey sound but can't go 100% wet, so i wouldn't recommend for shoegaze gtr tbh. Good on vocals for me though

I'm trying to approximate a sort of MBVish sound, I guess. But while that full wet sound makes sense as one layer in a band with two or more guitars doing different but complementary things, it makes less sense for me as just a guy who plays guitar on my own in my flat. Playing full wet might be the 'right' way to sound like Kevin Shields or whoever, but it's just not that satisfying to play outside a band context. :D I dunno, other folks may disagree.

I guess what I'm trying to do get somewhere near the sound of those layers with just one guitar. Which is maybe a bit of a fool's errand, but that's just the way it is for me – I'm not likely to be in a band any time soon and don't particularly want to be; for me, playing guitar is a thing I enjoy messing around with on my own and I'm realistic about my level of (non)talent. And I'm not trying to be exactly like anyone so much as steal some speed by getting close to some sounds I like and heading off in sorta my own direction. But it means that being able to hear the dry and wet signals is what works best for me.

Anyway, the Oceans 11 is working well for me. I can see myself getting another reverb, though – maybe a gated type – if only to have a different set of parameters I can switch to quickly and that work better for a different tempo or whatever.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:22 am

Yeh i see. I don't think its worth imitating too hard either and have used such things, in fact i am miles away in yerms of effects. I tend to have a 100% wet mix on about 80% if verb sounds i use but my style is to loop some dry guitar when at home to play over. A pedal should have the choice anyway but i suppose the Polara just sucks with dry so they left it out. I can't imagine the sound i like that ive heard from it with dry though - another new band using cathedrals and hardwires is Just Mustard who are not shoegaze but use similar effects on some lead sounds.
For a more drier rhythm MBV sound i just set to a dry - blend room verb and that worked for me with fuzz. He didn't use fx but used things like compressed room mics in MBV, not that i was thinking through that process, it just kind of worked.

Oceans 11 i think is pretty close to an updated cathedral for sure. Personallyi stuck with the SMM hazarai for its pseudo verb tricks too, which i've seen used with multitap mode by a few people (rising repeats, fast delay), but i use the reverse mode cranked decay (number of parallel delays) so it becomes a big pad (and set feedback depending whether its ambient or faster loud songs) and gets a bit random when the 'intelligent reverse' changes...and i don't believe they put my favourite parts of that pedal (looper functions and lofi verb and strange non-DMM chorus) on the Grand Canyon delay (or any other pedal really) so am keeping this cheap thing thats considered a bit out of date.