Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods
Posts: 5659
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:47 pm

I’ve had an empty NYC Big Muff enclosure lying around for a few years. I decided to go with a Triangle for this one. I’ve had and made tons of different BMPs but never a Triangle. I used some old BC407B transistors which seemed like a good, relatively low gain, fit. It already had an extra hole in the chassis so I did a 3 way switch on the diodes in the first clipping section. It is none, stock Si, and LED. It sounds great! The frequency range is really nice. It doesn’t seem to have as much of a mid scoop as I’m used to. The pcb is just a regular one from General Guitar Gadgets. I’ve made many BMPs with those boards over the years. I made another small pedalboard with some extra stuff that was shelved. Just the essentials 8)

Image
Image
Image
A death’s head ring upon his finger

User avatar
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13534
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington
Contact:

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by HNB » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:52 pm

Nice! I am a fan of each variation of muff. :) it cracks me up how small the pcbs are compared to the enclosure.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

User avatar
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods
Posts: 5659
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:20 pm

HNB wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:52 pm
Nice! I am a fan of each variation of muff. :) it cracks me up how small the pcbs are compared to the enclosure.
I know! You could fit at least a couple of them in there! I still enjoy putting proper circuits back in these gutted enclosures. I’ve done a few by now. I also have a later model black Sovtek enclosure that I put a bubble font circuit in a good while ago. It’s a nice change from Hammond boxes (which I also like, but variation is good).
A death’s head ring upon his finger

User avatar
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin
Posts: 12701
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:47 pm

Nice work! I should do something similar to my NYC BMP. The innards are in a pretty bad shape after having gone through tons of mods over the years, and I don't think the PCB can take much more de/resoldering, the traces have already lifted in a couple of spots.

User avatar
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods
Posts: 13723
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:12 pm

Nice! I have one of Jay's BMP PCBs in the same enclosure.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21947
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by zhivago » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:34 am

Very cool!! God I wish could build effects, I'd be making so many of these classics!!
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13534
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington
Contact:

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by HNB » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:42 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:20 pm
HNB wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:52 pm
Nice! I am a fan of each variation of muff. :) it cracks me up how small the pcbs are compared to the enclosure.
I know! You could fit at least a couple of them in there! I still enjoy putting proper circuits back in these gutted enclosures. I’ve done a few by now. I also have a later model black Sovtek enclosure that I put a bubble font circuit in a good while ago. It’s a nice change from Hammond boxes (which I also like, but variation is good).
Wouldn't it be cool to build a Muff that had like four styles of big muffs in one box and a switch to select with pcb is in use?
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

User avatar
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods
Posts: 5659
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am

zhivago wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:34 am
Very cool!! God I wish could build effects, I'd be making so many of these classics!!
You should give it a try! The entry cost isn’t too high and there’s a bunch of people here that could help you with all the basics. A complete kit from any of the big places is always a great way to start. A lot of them even have predrilled enclosures.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21947
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by zhivago » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:42 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am
zhivago wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:34 am
Very cool!! God I wish could build effects, I'd be making so many of these classics!!
You should give it a try! The entry cost isn’t too high and there’s a bunch of people here that could help you with all the basics. A complete kit from any of the big places is always a great way to start. A lot of them even have predrilled enclosures.
That is a good call...there's been a couple of times where I bought some parts but never got started.. l :-[ I'll have a look online and see what kits are around. :)
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:41 am
Location: UK

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by F15hface » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:18 am

zhivago wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:42 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am
zhivago wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:34 am
Very cool!! God I wish could build effects, I'd be making so many of these classics!!
You should give it a try! The entry cost isn’t too high and there’s a bunch of people here that could help you with all the basics. A complete kit from any of the big places is always a great way to start. A lot of them even have predrilled enclosures.
That is a good call...there's been a couple of times where I bought some parts but never got started.. l :-[ I'll have a look online and see what kits are around. :)
I’ve built pedals from Jed’s Peds and Fuzzdog. I preferred Fuzzdog but really both are good. If you can solder at all they’re pretty easy.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21947
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by zhivago » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:37 am

F15hface wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:18 am
zhivago wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:42 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am


You should give it a try! The entry cost isn’t too high and there’s a bunch of people here that could help you with all the basics. A complete kit from any of the big places is always a great way to start. A lot of them even have predrilled enclosures.
That is a good call...there's been a couple of times where I bought some parts but never got started.. l :-[ I'll have a look online and see what kits are around. :)
I’ve built pedals from Jed’s Peds and Fuzzdog. I preferred Fuzzdog but really both are good. If you can solder at all they’re pretty easy.

Hey thanks for this, I was only aware of BYOC...I'll investigate further...I've been getting more and more confident with my soldering lately after several guitar re-wires, so I guess putting some effects together is the next logical step. :)
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods
Posts: 5659
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:13 pm

General guitar gadgets has a ton of projects, many with complete kits available. I use their PCBs here and there. I reference schematics very often. Check them out too.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21947
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by zhivago » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm

Will do, thanks Justin! 8)
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:16 am

F15hface wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:18 am
zhivago wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:42 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am
You should give it a try! The entry cost isn’t too high and there’s a bunch of people here that could help you with all the basics. A complete kit from any of the big places is always a great way to start. A lot of them even have predrilled enclosures.
That is a good call...there's been a couple of times where I bought some parts but never got started.. l :-[ I'll have a look online and see what kits are around. :)
I’ve built pedals from Jed’s Peds and Fuzzdog. I preferred Fuzzdog but really both are good. If you can solder at all they’re pretty easy.
And don't forget Musikding.de! Built quite a few Musikding projects over the years. They also sell loads of different designers' kits.
EU based too!
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 7298
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:25 pm

zhivago wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm
Will do, thanks Justin! 8)
Do it before your eyes start going bad!

I had a supply of parts and schematics along with a stash of cases, switches and knobs, with plans to build 4-5 pedals. One day I had the soldering iron out and realized I couldn’t see well enough to do the work.

That was 6 years ago and my eyesight is worse now. I would need one of those jewelers magnifying lenses or something. My hands aren’t shaking yet, but that runs in the family too.

Post Reply