Nastier than a Fender Blender?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Nastier than a Fender Blender?

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:06 am

This is what crossover distortion would look like on an oscilloscope when failing to reproduce a sine wave:

Note that the peaks aren't clipped... there's a "kink" in the middle of the waveform at the zero crossing as the positive-phase amplifying device hits cutoff before the negative-phase device is ready to take over.

This does sound like distortion, but doesn't sound exactly like clipping (the distribution of harmonics is different, with predominant third harmonic).

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:53 pm

IIRC, the zvex machine is based on crossover distortion.

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:53 pm

(it is a truly disgusting sounding pedal)

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:21 am

Yes, we had a long conversation about that one just above

doctor_capleson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by doctor_capleson » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:27 pm

Zork wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:31 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:48 pm
MrShake wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:46 pm
Also, did they make a FB reissue in the '90s? I don't wanna seem pedantic, but this is the first I've read of that. I'd totally believe it, I was just unaware. Mine's a 2010 or so,
I worked in a shop that sold them around 2003 and they weren't new at that time but I don't know how much earlier they were released. I would say '98 at the earliest?
According to Fender they were reissued in 2008: https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/vi ... 950s-1980s

I'm pretty sure I bought mine in 2007, though, in a second hand guitar shop in Berlin and the owner told me it was from the 90s but what do I know? This guy used to stretch the truth quite a bit now and then, though. So, it's a Fender Blender reissue. The one with the green PCB that needs to be modded to be loud enough. :whistle:
I bought when while in university in 2005, and it was definitely NOT a vintage unit. I don't know specifics, but anecdotally I have reason to believe that there was a run of reissues sometime prior to the 2008 batch.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:57 am

I've had a 90s Fender Blender I'm pretty sure. There's been two reissues at least...one with a volume drop and one without

I seem to remember the fix for the volume drop was pretty easy, but it was a long long time ago

The most recent reissue was 2005-2010 (I believe)

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:48 am

Love it, I had no idea about the earlier reissue, probably because of the fuzz-drenched grunge years.

In case anyone's ever looking for it, somewhere on OSG there are instrux for the volume mod I did to mine about 10 years ago. Snip 2 resistors, replace one with a wire jumper, and swap two wires on the boost switch poles. Turned it from anemic to annihilation.

I still don't have another fuzz that tops it for its raw roar on Tone Boost mode. Don't know if I've ever even heard a fuzz that does.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:28 am

Came across this over the weekend:

4 Knob Blender
The Fender Blender appears to have landed in either 1968 or 1969.

The circuit is the earliest example I have seen of its type of octave up topology. The octave stage consists of a transistor splitter followed by diode rectifiers which are recombined for a full wave rectification effect.

This is similar to the 1967 Roger Mayer Octavia, except that the fragile and expensive transformer has been replaced by a transistor. When Roger Mayer did his first wide release of the Octavia in the late '70s, the transformer replaced with a transistor, like the Blender design.

Similarities to other designs
The Blender may or may not have also found inspiration from the Superfuzz. The Superfuzz was available as early as 1967 in the form of the Honey Baby Crying and other Fumio Mieda designed fuzzes. These pedals shipped with the schematic pasted right inside the chassis. The Superfuzz topology uses transistors as the rectifying elements (instead of regular diodes), but the transistor splitter, diode clipping stage, and switchable tone control are all very similar (Blender has a footswitch tone, Superfuzz has a slide switch tone).

The Ampeg Scrambler began its very short run in 1969. The "Blend" function is shared between the two. I like to think that the "Scrambler" name was an industry inside joke to answer Fender's "Blender" name. The Scrambler's odd circuit appears to have begun as transformerless ring modulator, but then ditched half the ring.

About 1971 the Foxx Tone Machine appeared. This pedal is very similar to the Blender, except the tone switch has been replaced with an octave switch. The octave switch is pretty clever and thus the Tone Machine distinguishes itself apart from the Blender. The Tone Machine also ditched the Blend control. The Tone Machine's overall circuit is quite similar to the Blender, but different enough to suggest that it is an original design.