SolidGold FX Surf Rider IV

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

SolidGold FX Surf Rider IV

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:18 am

I really haven't been looking for a spring reverb pedal, and I've got a great sounding one in my PRRI, but I do love the sound, and when demos of this one started appearing, I was pretty impressed. I'm very tempted to grab one, but I can't find one locally to try out first. Anyone play one themselves?

This is what (usually) does it for me. Stefan is easily my favorite pedal demo-er:
The Pedal Zone - A Dream-Pop/Post-Rock Spring Reverb? Yup!

Sasha Ivantic's demo also sounds very good
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SolidGold FX Surf Rider IV

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:27 am

I had the Surf Rider III for a very short time (like a month or two - bought used - sold with a profit) - don't know how much it actually differs from the IV except the IV being smaller and not having the boost.
Being used to the magic of my Surfy Bear and the Topanga (and FRV-1) - I was a bit underwhelmed by the "Surf Rider" - because it wasn't nearly as surfy as the others... but maybe I just didn't spend enough time with it to dial the right sounds in. The res-switch (Resonance?) was super weird for me. But one could get some other cool sounds out of it. Some kind of pre-delay that got quite space-y.
It sure is a fine pedal... the demoes sounded way better than what I could produce with it - I just expected a bit more Surf from (and instant bonding with) it.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:03 am

Kinda what I was worried about. I'm not sure about the Russian dude as I'd never heard his demos before, but Stefan doesn't usually get tones that are impossible to get, based on the demos I've seen of his before (and pedals I actually own). I'm usually always suspicious of Andy Martin's demos and not being able to get those tones.

As far as the differences, it looks like the resonance switch is gone on the IV, and the switch here is now a tank size (small, medium, and large spring tank algorithm). Honestly, I'm always leery of ANY pedal that uses DSP, as I've never played one that didn't sound wrong to my ears. But, I keep getting drawn to this one...

EDIT: And I'm not looking for a new spring reverb pedal either. I've got my Meteore from Caroline which I love!
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:36 am

I also have the III one, big box, gold version 8) . It's on my pedalboard since 4 years I guess and I freakin love it. It's an always on pedal. I honestly would be lost without it.
I also have an EQD Levitation V2 too to complement the Surf Rider. But that last one is clearly my main reverb pedal. Fondation pedal as they say.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:34 am

raphaël wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:36 am
I also have the III one, big box, gold version 8) . It's on my pedalboard since 4 years I guess and I freakin love it. It's an always on pedal. I honestly would be lost without it.
I also have an EQD Levitation V2 too to complement the Surf Rider. But that last one is clearly my main reverb pedal. Fondation pedal as they say.
That's awesome! Does it sound fairly close to the demos I posted?

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:13 pm

I have the Counter Current personnally, but I have played the version II and III. I bought the version III for a gift for a ex-bandmate and the bassist of my actual band have one for is guitar rig. It's the best Spring Reverb emulator I have ever played. Better then my FRV-1 IMHO. I should have bought one instead of the Counter Current, but I managed to use the Counter Current with great result now and emulate a Spring reverb.

I may make a trade with my bandmate for it's SurfRider 3 since I could use the Boost function for some songs.

I have never played the version IV, but I prefer the idea of a boost instead of a Flutter mode.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:54 am

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm absolutly agree with Arthon : ze boost !!!
This extra volume is damned good and a part as the always on pedal idea. Do not need modulation on this pedal.

As for the sound of Stephan demo against what it is really doing on real world, I'm always partial. It's near but not at the same time. Due to our own playing (My friends who are trying my pedalboard don't necesseraly sound like when I do. Different attack, feeling, etc.), and to the fact that youtubers enhance their sound in post production of their vids (except JustNick. But I don't know where he is thèse days !)

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:47 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:03 am
I'm not sure about the Dutch dude as I'd never heard his demos before
Fixed that for you. ;-)

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:45 pm

Interesting timing for the Surf Rider talk. I just pulled my III off Reverb after discovering how well it played with my fuzz to create some interesting lead tones. The spring sounds closer to my amp’s onboard tank than I originally gave it credit for. It can also be extended beyond typical spring reverbs. I used to wish it could be pushed a little further, which I think the IV addresses. Since I can get some more “out there” sounds on my board another way, it’s left me happy with the III and not coveting the IV. That said, the IV has the form factor more players are gravitating to and some interesting new twists to explore.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:16 pm

Arthon wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:13 pm
I have the Counter Current personnally, but I have played the version II and III. I bought the version III for a gift for a ex-bandmate and the bassist of my actual band have one for is guitar rig. It's the best Spring Reverb emulator I have ever played. Better then my FRV-1 IMHO. I should have bought one instead of the Counter Current, but I managed to use the Counter Current with great result now and emulate a Spring reverb.

I may make a trade with my bandmate for it's SurfRider 3 since I could use the Boost function for some songs.

I have never played the version IV, but I prefer the idea of a boost instead of a Flutter mode.
Good to know! That sounds like a good time, honestly. I've got a Wampler Reflection which should be a perfect pedal as it does spring and plate, but it never sounded all that great to me in person. I'd definitely like a good sounding spring reverb (without an entire tank) for my synths and amps that don't have the tank like my PRRI.

raphaël wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:54 am
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm absolutly agree with Arthon : ze boost !!!
This extra volume is damned good and a part as the always on pedal idea. Do not need modulation on this pedal.

As for the sound of Stephan demo against what it is really doing on real world, I'm always partial. It's near but not at the same time. Due to our own playing (My friends who are trying my pedalboard don't necesseraly sound like when I do. Different attack, feeling, etc.), and to the fact that youtubers enhance their sound in post production of their vids (except JustNick. But I don't know where he is thèse days !)
I'm always a bit leery/partial to demos vs real world myself. Sounds like it might still be worth it to try though.

Yeah, Just Nick! Nick is amazing! I haven't seen a video of his in a while either. I first found him when I was looking for demos of the Red Panda Context V1 before I bought it, and his explanations and playing are top notch! And I love all the funk stuff that he plays too.

fortytwo wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:47 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fixed that for you. ;-)
My bad! I had no idea!

Beltone wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:45 pm
Interesting timing for the Surf Rider talk. I just pulled my III off Reverb after discovering how well it played with my fuzz to create some interesting lead tones. The spring sounds closer to my amp’s onboard tank than I originally gave it credit for. It can also be extended beyond typical spring reverbs. I used to wish it could be pushed a little further, which I think the IV addresses. Since I can get some more “out there” sounds on my board another way, it’s left me happy with the III and not coveting the IV. That said, the IV has the form factor more players are gravitating to and some interesting new twists to explore.
Awesome! Thanks for this as well!! The III sounds great! I do like the slightly smaller pedal though too ;) :D

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:00 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:16 pm
fortytwo wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:47 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fixed that for you. ;-)
My bad! I had no idea!
His name isn't the most Dutch name ever, so I totally get you.
Hadn't actually heard of him either, until he was in one of the Chase Bliss videos, the one where they are in Amsterdam looking for an EU HQ.