Do you hoard discontinued pedals that make up ''your'' sound?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do you hoard discontinued pedals that make up ''your'' sound?

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:41 pm

I seem to remember I used to hoard Shredmaster and MIJ Boss SD-1 pedals. Now I have 2 of each left.
But I've never stopped using the SDs
Are they better than other versions? Dunno. But it's a thing.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:58 pm

Yeah, but trying to do it less. I went through a long phase of really loving the old Ibanez UE racks (when/because they were cheap) as I like the comp, love the chorus and phaser, adore the delay. (I also had the individual pedals, too, just in case, although they didn’t sound the same really).

Hoarding may be too strong a term, but I definitely had backups to the backups. (Weirdly, I don’t use any of those particular flavors regularly anymore).

I guess part of it may be based on old, well-loved pedals that may not be entirely reliable (looking at you, deluxe memory men) so it made sense to have some redundancy. And it was maybe cheaper to have multiple versions than to (potentially) send something off to get repaired, etc. That said, it was never the case of relying on something super obscure or unique or boutique or expensive (no germanium Wolf Blood industries “Sorrow Cannon” with discontinued MN3008 chips, for example). In other words, I found some other effects that served the same purpose as the ones that made up “my” sound and maybe even do other cool things too so it no longer seems as pressing.

(Now that I think of it, I don’t have any real backup to the old mxr flanger I use almost all the time … uh oh).

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:25 pm

I just bought a second Catalinbread HyperPak. It was going for a decent price, and I realized they were discontinued and I didn't ever want to be without one. It's not a daily driver pedal for me, but it's one of only two dirt pedals I've ever had that works on everything I own. I was feeling sort of silly about it until I saw this thread. Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now.

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:28 am

My Vox Dynamic Looper is being held together with duct tape. It is my favorite looper and I would be lost without it. I am thinking about getting another one as a spare but don't want to go down the gear hoarding rabbit hole quite yet.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:09 am

pj wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:28 am
My Vox Dynamic Looper is being held together with duct tape. It is my favorite looper and I would be lost without it. I am thinking about getting another one as a spare but don't want to go down the gear hoarding rabbit hole quite yet.
Literally how it got started for me, main pedal was also taped to death and I panicked thinking I'm screwed if it fails live. 6 Backups later and I started this thread :fp:
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:08 am

I keep duplicates (or triplicates) of my essential pedals.

The V1 Wessex is my #1 dirt box, so I have a couple of those.

The Strymon DIG is my #1 delay, so I have two of those, and will be picking up the new V2 version as well.

I love the Spaceman stuff, so I have two or three of just about every pedal they have put out.

I have duplicates of the EUNA and OAMP (one for each board)

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:21 am

this is reminding me of that bob odenkirk sketch from i think you should leave

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:13 pm

I wish I had enough cash to hoard discontinued pedals, but that gets pricey. Especially these days!
Lover of offsets (and bananas!)

https://thegogorillas.com
https://instagram.com/thegogorillas