The Octave Fuzz Thread

Everyone needs a stompbox.
hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Octave Fuzz Thread

Post by hulakatt » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:13 pm

Anyone else addicted to octave fuzzes? Of all flavors too, not just the usual suspects. What's your favorite circuit? Favorite build of a certain circuit? Anything really out there or unique?

I've been on a Zvex Octane kick for awhile and recently sourced an Octane II but I also recently picked up a long time obsession octave fuzz.

There was some dude on eBay selling Scrambler clones but he had located a bunch of NOS Scambler enclosures in the garage of an ex-Ampeg employee! I don't know how many he had but the listing got pulled after I ordered mine. It really is an interesting and super aggressive fuzz and the Blend knob may be the most interesting feature I've used in an octave fuzz is some time!
She/Her

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Octave Fuzz Thread

Post by del » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:25 pm

The Scrambler is a great fuzz!

I've become a big fan of the Green Ringer - I use a Chicago Stompworks model called the "Octave Up," but the EQD Tentacle and the Lovepedal Believe are fancier versions of the same circuit. It is the very model of simplicity with a footswitch and no knobs (and only a handful of wires and bits under the hood).

It can be squirrelly in a very fun way with both an octave and a sort of ring mod angle to it. The lack of controls on the pedal focuses my attention on both my right hand pick attack and other fuzzes in my set up as key determinants of how it operates.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:41 pm

I probably like the Superfuzz style circuit the most...love me some octave up magic! 8)

Occasionally I try and track down my old MJM China Fuzz the I had custom made in British Racing Green back in the early 2000s.

I'll find it one day. :-*

Until then, Octane III all the way!

Resident Spartan.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 pm

I have a PigeonFX Super Fuzz on it's way to me. I'm pretty excited, I've been wanting something from Pigeon for a long time and I've really wanted a classic Super Fuzz style enclosure for a long time too. My LAL Sooper Fuzz has been getting me through the hard times of waiting though ;)
She/Her

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:22 pm

Oh I :-* Octave Fuzz! I've got a DIY Tone Machine, a Fender Blender and an Ibanez Standard 59 Fuzz which is very close to a Super Fuzz circuitwise and which is probably my favourite. Think I'll build a Green Ringer next and see how that pairs with my MK3 Tone Bender. I do fancy a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Octavio from a few years ago but they are rare or ridiculously expensive unfortunately.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:40 pm

I miss my old Fender Blender. I had it and sold it before I really understood octave fuzzes and man, was it ever a gnarly and aggressive fuzz! I need another at some point.

I've also long drooled over yet never owned an RM rocket ship Octavia. They're just so dang cool looking.
She/Her

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 pm

I love pedals in the Superfuzz/FZ-2/SF300 lineage. I prefer the more subtle octave-up of a Superfuzz compared to an out-and-out Octavia.

The Superfuzz can be a little extreme and doesn't really clean up with the guitar volume if you like that sort of thing, at least compared to a FF style fuzz. Perhaps my ideal fuzz would actually be a Fuzz Face with an octave up in it.

Never tried an Octane but for all that I've been seeing them the last week or so I'd be keen to pick one up if one came my way.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 pm
I love pedals in the Superfuzz/FZ-2/SF300 lineage. I prefer the more subtle octave-up of a Superfuzz compared to an out-and-out Octavia.

The Superfuzz can be a little extreme and doesn't really clean up with the guitar volume if you like that sort of thing, at least compared to a FF style fuzz. Perhaps my ideal fuzz would actually be a Fuzz Face with an octave up in it.

Never tried an Octane but for all that I've been seeing them the last week or so I'd be keen to pick one up if one came my way.
IIRC, the Octane is in the SuperFuzz family and yes, yes you should pink one up ;)
She/Her

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Any fans of the fOXX Tone Machines?
She/Her

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:09 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:13 pm
Anyone else addicted to octave fuzzes? Of all flavors too, not just the usual suspects. What's your favorite circuit? Favorite build of a certain circuit? Anything really out there or unique?

I've been on a Zvex Octane kick for awhile and recently sourced an Octane II but I also recently picked up a long time obsession octave fuzz.

There was some dude on eBay selling Scrambler clones but he had located a bunch of NOS Scambler enclosures in the garage of an ex-Ampeg employee! I don't know how many he had but the listing got pulled after I ordered mine. It really is an interesting and super aggressive fuzz and the Blend knob may be the most interesting feature I've used in an octave fuzz is some time!
Safe to say Scramblers are my favourites.

For years my pedalboard was just a tuner, MXR Micro Boost and a Scrambler. After a while I had 2 originals and 2 Reissues and they started to get too valuable to risk playing out with and I eventually sold them all off (at quite the profit). I currently have a Fredric FX clone that is indistinguishable from the real thing.

Second favourite will always be the humble SuperFuzz. It just sounds like my youth.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:14 am

hulakatt wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:42 pm
I’ve been wanting to buy one for years now. I have an old GGG pcb for one which has been lying around for probably 15 years. I just really want the real deal in this case!
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:30 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:14 am
hulakatt wrote:
I’ve been wanting to buy one for years now. I have an old GGG pcb for one which has been lying around for probably 15 years. I just really want the real deal in this case!
I have one of the Warm Audio Foxy Ladies but I haven't plugged into it yet. I had one of the RI's from the early 00's and I really liked it, kinda like an octave up muff.
She/Her

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:04 am

hulakatt wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:30 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
hulakatt wrote:
I have one of the Warm Audio Foxy Ladies but I haven't plugged into it yet. I had one of the RI's from the early 00's and I really liked it, kinda like an octave up muff.
I’ve never been able to try one, but have always heard that the fuzz is really heavy and gnarly by itself. And I like octave up too. So it’s basically a win-win. I have a couple other irons in the fire at the moment, then I believe I’ll finally film this void in my fuzz toolbox.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:57 am

A Superfuzz (BYOC), after trying several other things, turned out to be my platonic ideal of a fuzz pedal. Mode 1 for octavey madness, Mode 2 for crushing bulldozing. I love adding Mode 1 on top of a medium-crunchy Rat and have put Behringer clones on two other boards I love that sound so much.

I had a Danelectro French Toast I loved, but the switch and a jack crapped out quickly and I never replaced it.

Until I got a Fender Blender reissue. I did the "pull two things, bridge one spot, and swap two wires to the boost switch. "Regular mode" is like a Superfuzz that's out of control. Using the Tone Bypass mode is about the most brutal, throaty, roaring fuzz I've ever heard.

I still want... no, NEED... a Blue Box in my life one day.

Octave fuzz rules. If I want nasty, aggressive fuzz, it's the only way for me to fly.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:01 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:04 am
hulakatt wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:30 am
i love sharin foo wrote:

I’ve never been able to try one, but have always heard that the fuzz is really heavy and gnarly by itself. And I like octave up too. So it’s basically a win-win. I have a couple other irons in the fire at the moment, then I believe I’ll finally film this void in my fuzz toolbox.
It’s in the Big Muff realm, or maybe like an extremely high gain Fuzz Face. It doesn’t really clean up though, it’s the heavy bottom end is FF like. The Rx Experience was a good Foxx clone.

Another good choice is the Kay Fuzz.

I don’t have a dedicated octave fuzz, but a have some with a hint of octave. A Roland Bee-Baa, not a Superfuzz clone, but a close cousin. The Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes. A Basic Audio Gnarly. All get octave tones creeping in at extreme settings. Then there’s the Op Amp Big Muff I have. For some reason there’s a very distinct octave down tone when playing through my Tweed Bassman. Possibly the best “furz basz” sound I ever got.

Basic Audio does some pretty versatile clones of the Super, Foxx, and Kay fuzz. He makes the octaves switchable and other handy mods.