PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: your effects setup?

Post by garyfanclub » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:01 pm

cdwillis wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:26 pm
garyfanclub wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 am
Current "maximalist" pedalboard that I can do "most things" with.

Usually drop the volume pedal (will use volume knob for swells) and looper for live shows, and will sometimes swap the Secret Preamp with a Tuner.

Not quite sure how I feel about the Monuments yet? I'd like something a little more organic sounding; it sounds great, but a bit too crisp for my tastes.

I recently acquired a Monument as well. There are two trim pots on the board. The top one controls the depth of the tremolo and the bottom trim pot is a low pass filter / tone control. Mine was turned almost all the way counterclockwise which made it pretty warm, but turning it clockwise brought out some more high end and some more perceived volume. You may want to back yours off a bit.
Great callout, I'll give this a whirl. Thank you!

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:23 am

Put the Pitchfactor on. Now I need to read the million pages of the manual. This thing is deeeeeeep... :whistle:

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:37 pm

Spent a good chunk of the afternoon soldering and redid the board I use with my 4 piece with Squareplugs and Mogami 2314.

Polytune 3 Mini (in buffered + display always on mode) >J. Rockett Tranquilizer phaser/vibrato > Chicago Stompworks Rat clone >J. Rockett Archer Ikon > Suhr KokoBoost V1 (18V) > Lehle VP (15V) > Boss RV-6. All running on a Cioks-made Eventide Powerfactor.

The DIY footswitch is for amp reverb and tremolo. The TRS jack is at the top for board-friendliness.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:50 pm

zhivago wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:46 am
Awesome board, as always, Justin!

Good to hear you're enjoying the BART Sunface...I had a Sunlion a while ago that was hybrid RCA/NKT red dot that was pretty cool. 8)
Thanks! I spent some more time today with the new board and am really enjoying it! At first I thought the Beano and SHO might be redundant but they are really worlds apart. There's so much lowend with the SHO and it has an even frequency response. The Beano does this really crunchy tone that adds another sound rather than increasing what the amp already does like the SHO. With the switch down for a more full range, it still cuts some lowend (which is fine). I generally run my boosts AFTER dirt and each is giving me a lot of different sounds. The Octane III -> Beano set to low is great! I've had the old Moog delay off the board for a few months to give it its first break for the 15 or 16 years that I've had it, but it's back in action now and is staying that way. Nothing else does what it does.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:27 am

I came to the conclusion that I have too many choices when it comes to effects, and as a result I rarely have a pedalboard properly wired and ready to go. The lack of portability is not really a huge problem as I am pretty much just a bedroom guitarist these days, however I find I spend more time choosing the right pedals and wiring them up than playing sometimes. I also feel that many of my pedals are wasted on me since they don't get used much..... So for the last couple of months I've been reducing my pedal stock, these are the ones I've sold thus far:

All up there's probably another 30-40 I need to move on. I'll probably sell some guitars after that.
Hopefully I'll end up with a more manageable effects collection that will fit neatly on to a couple of pedalboards. We'll see.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:34 pm

Threw this together before band rehearsal tonight. Trying to fit what I need onto a smaller plank of ply so I can use a smaller, and more importantly lighter, case:

Odd place to put the tuner, I know, but I use it the least out of all of them and that was the most logical spot for it. Tape loop box makes for convenient and low-profile pick storage. I'm normally extremely anal about cable neatness but I don't have much time to go the whole hog. If this setup works I'll make some to-fit cables...for convenience I just daisychained them all off one outlet of the Cioks.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:15 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:34 pm
Threw this together before band rehearsal tonight. Trying to fit what I need onto a smaller plank of ply so I can use a smaller, and more importantly lighter, case:

Odd place to put the tuner, I know, but I use it the least out of all of them and that was the most logical spot for it. Tape loop box makes for convenient and low-profile pick storage. I'm normally extremely anal about cable neatness but I don't have much time to go the whole hog. If this setup works I'll make some to-fit cables...for convenience I just daisychained them all off one outlet of the Cioks.
Fully approve of the tuner placement and overall functional vibe, but Y U No Boss tuner?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:09 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Fully approve of the tuner placement and overall functional vibe, but Y U No Boss tuner?
Well, despite them being being an industry standard (and me actually having an old TU-2 on another board), I find the Korg infinitely easier to see onstage. The display is considerably brighter and larger. I'm surprised Boss haven't got around to making one with a bigger and more visible screen considering their competition these days. It seems a ripe opportunity for them to drop a TU-4/5 into the market but, alas, no cigar.

The fact it's a jarring change of brand and seems to make people's eyes twitch is just an added bonus :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:56 am

I've got some strange and fun ideas in the pipe, but until I put the top on my 4'×4' table frame so I can use it in the basement, they are just ideas.

I recently received an OBNE Dark Star that I got for a little discount from a black Friday sale, and so far I really love it. It's gonna be my early-chain reverb for sure.

I've got 2 Lehle P-Split boxes, and I always intended to do a wet-dry-wet rig (at least to have the option). I've been watching a few videos lately that have given me some ideas. My original idea for the splitters was to split my signal after my volume pedal and before my delays and reverbs (more basic wet-dry), and to put the other splitter after my delays and reverbs, so as to be a second wet signal. The other day I thought it might be really cool to instead put the other splitter before my gains (which would still be after my octave pedal and Dark Star). So, everything will kinda be amounts of wet (wet, wetter, wettest, instead of wet-dry or wet-dry-wet), but might still be pretty fun.

Among those videos I've been watching was a The Pedal Zone video about how Stefan uses the OBNE Signal Blender (especially good starting at 9:42), and upon researching cool uses for it, I ran into Andy Othling's trick for having two eparate looper pedals, with one in each loop. I emailed EHX this morning and found out that the 720 looper (which I have, and which is stereo) doesn't have ANY crossover between the L/mono and R/stereo inputs and outputs. So, I ordered a Signal Blender from OBNE ;D I'm gonna try putting one side of the 720 looper into one side of the Signal Blender, and the other side of the 720 into the other loop of the Signal Blender.

If I don't care for that use as much, maybe I'll put my delays on one loop, and my reverbs in the other.

I also picked up an OBNE Expression Ramper, because after my expression pedal thread, and for $59, I'd be crazy not to!

A lot of fun coming very soon!!

For reference, so as to help with any confusion, my rig right now looks like this:
The Gig Rig Three-2-One > Korg tuner > Greer Amps Lamplighter compressor > Boss OC-5 octave > OBNE Dark Star > EQD Grand Orbiter > Catalinbread Naga Viper > bypass loop (gain pedals) > EQD Hummingbird > Caroline Parabola > Lehle Mono Volume > Lehle P-Split (isolated output is "dry") > bypass loop (for delays) > Caroline Meteore > EHX 720 looper > ("wet" amp).

I didn't list my gain or delays pedals as I'm still messing with their order, but here they are:
Gain - IdiotBox Power Driver, EQD Hoof, EQD The Dunes, EQD Westwood, RAT clone (might go back to an Arc Effects Soothsayer, but maybe not).
Delay - Catalinbread Echorec, Caroline Kilobyte, EQD Space Spiral
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:26 pm

finally got the whole rig in one photo..... the downside is the light in the practice space fucks with my camera something horrible. but who want's to know my signal path? no one? well tough.

boss TU-2 >> boss CS-2 >> homemade boost pedal >> modded klone >> my trusty rat II >> mxr phase 100 >> boss CE-2 (my dad's old one) >> boss DM-3 clone >> old blood noise endeavors black fountain >> fender ABY box. A runs to my 79 fender twin 135 UL with fane crescendo speakers. b is my modded 72 bassman into the fane POP loaded 4x12.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:03 pm

I am really liking this setup. I can do pretty much everything that I like with it. I have all these little CIOKS power supplies now and had to figure out the best way to power them. I have these oddball PigHog 12v + tipped wall warts lying around that I accidentally bought a while back. I didn't need them for anything else, but they work great for powering the CIOKS4s (and the Eventide unit). I have 2 of those each powering a CIOKS with the 3rd one being daisy chained to another one. It's complicated :D I need to just buy another CIOKS DC7 one day. I initially didn't intend on running all 3 of the Analogman fuzzboxes but I am finding a bunch of uses for them all. There's overlap between them but they are still unique to themselves. The Peppermint fuzz is fantastic.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Brock the Mod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Brock the Mod » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 pm

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 pm

I approve of the vintage DC2 vibes in the last two posts! 8)
Resident Spartan.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:17 am

Want another DD-5 for end of chain, the new Malekko Polyamorator, and a Deco. But this is my current setup. Aside from the Particle and CE2, it's been pretty much the same for around 6 years now. It does everything I need.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:55 am

I'd been using picture frame pedalboards for my band, but it was getting a bit of a hassle, so I've gone back to a "proper" pedalboard. This means I can go back to using the picture frames for their original intended purpose, which was for storing and messing with the pedals that hadn't made it onto my main board.

Probably (definitely) more dirt on there than I need, but there's a lot of fun to be had.

a total idiot jackass