Re: Analogman!

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:27 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:14 pm
i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:05 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:39 pm
It's funny to think that those early analogman pedals are now almost as "vintage" as the stuff he was cloning when he made them.
It is an odd feeling, huh? I think about things like that all the time. One of my SGs is an ‘08 that I bought new. When Jimmy Page first recorded with his #1 ‘59 LP, it was younger than my SG is now. It’s just strange to think about.
When sunburst Les Pauls first topped $25k it seemed insane. This would've been the mid-90s.

Adjusted for time and inflation, that'd be roughly like an '88 Kramer Barretta selling for $47k or so today.
It's nuts! I started playing in '94 (I'm 38 now). A couple years after I remember looking through Vintage Guitar Magazine and seeing first year Les Pauls (obviously the least desirable of the bunch but I've always LOVED them) selling for just a few thousand. I wanted one so badly but thought that it was insane to play that much for a guitar even if I had the money (which I didn't!). As an aside, I've always been into cars. I was able to buy a really clean first year 996 Porsche 911 a few years ago. It is the first of the liquid cooled era that everyone has always said would never be worth anything. It's already doubled in price just during my ownership. I may have missed the boat on a lot of other stuff, but at least I got that one right!
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:44 pm

His chorus pedal is awesome... I've kinda coveted one for like... almost 20 years. :wacko:

Note to self: just get one already
This is an excellent rectangle

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:39 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:28 pm
LBx wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:17 pm
i love sharin foo wrote: Beano Boost
Any chance you've jammed the EQD Bows as well and have a preference here? I have a chance at both 2nd hand and am kind of on the fence...

I've been jamming a SHO clone but am curious about changing it up.

No, I’ve not tried that EQD pedal. The Beano is a great counterpoint to a SHO. I actually have both on my board. I could give some opinions on how those compare though. The Beano is inherently dirtier and even at the fullest setting, still rolls off some lowend. It gives a great grit and aggression when pushing your amp. And it is still pretty bright. They can build them with “bass” tuning. I may order another voiced like that later. I like mine but it would be useful to have another with a wider range. The SHO is however full frequency and is more neutrally voiced. You basically get more of your amp without coloring the sound as much. Cranked up a good bit you probably do get a bit of drive out of the SHO on its own. But not as much as the Beano. I like both and find different uses for them. My Telecaster -> Beano -> Vox AC4HW is an amazing sound. Bright yes.
Hey thx for that.. My Bows find fell thru (definitely my preference based on something) but there's a Beano close to home so I may give it a shot...

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:38 pm

I may absolutely be in love with AnalogMan stuff too ;) I really went off the deep end with AM fuzzes this year too. I picked up a SunBender MK1.5 after this too.

She/Her

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:39 pm

BTW, the above Chorus is Stereo. Never played a stereo chorus before and it's a totally different effect than running one in mono!
She/Her

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:42 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:38 pm
I may absolutely be in love with AnalogMan stuff too ;) I really went off the deep end with AM fuzzes this year too. I picked up a SunBender MK1.5 after this too.

Great collection!

I have really been interested in the MKIV. It seems to me like it would be a nice contrast with a Fuzz Face and MK1.5. I am still smitten with the Peppermint Fuzz. It really surprised me with how versatile it is. If I were headed out to jam and could only take one fuzzbox, I think it would be the one.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:45 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:44 pm
His chorus pedal is awesome... I've kinda coveted one for like... almost 20 years. :wacko:

I've been eyeing them up, too! After using Small Clones and my old Boss DC-2 for so long, all the options on his ordering page for the chorus made my head hurt :fp: I can't decide which controls I really NEED and which ones I WANT.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:32 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:42 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:38 pm

Great collection!

I have really been interested in the MKIV. It seems to me like it would be a nice contrast with a Fuzz Face and MK1.5. I am still smitten with the Peppermint Fuzz. It really surprised me with how versatile it is. If I were headed out to jam and could only take one fuzzbox, I think it would be the one.
TY!

I've long had the Peppermint and the AstroTone but the MKIV is relatively new and I'm loving it so far. It could easily be my only fuzz for a gig. Oddly, the SunFace is the newest one and the one I've spent the least amount of time with so far, well, after the MK1.5 which I've barely had any time to plug into yet...

I mean, I'm kind of a fuzz junkie and I've picked up too many these past 2 years.
She/Her

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:45 pm
mackerelmint wrote:

I've been eyeing them up, too! After using Small Clones and my old Boss DC-2 for so long, all the options on his ordering page for the chorus made my head hurt :fp: I can't decide which controls I really NEED and which ones I WANT.
That's a relatable problem... I figure as long as I have stereo, I'll be happy. It's suuuuuuch an amazing sounding chorus.
This is an excellent rectangle

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:59 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm
That's a relatable problem... I figure as long as I have stereo, I'll be happy. It's suuuuuuch an amazing sounding chorus.
This is true. The stereo is easily the best option out of everything else on that options page, everything else is subtlety. I have the mix knob as well which is nice but it would still be amazing without it.
She/Her

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:27 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:14 pm
i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:05 pm

It is an odd feeling, huh? I think about things like that all the time. One of my SGs is an ‘08 that I bought new. When Jimmy Page first recorded with his #1 ‘59 LP, it was younger than my SG is now. It’s just strange to think about.
When sunburst Les Pauls first topped $25k it seemed insane. This would've been the mid-90s.

Adjusted for time and inflation, that'd be roughly like an '88 Kramer Barretta selling for $47k or so today.
It's nuts! I started playing in '94 (I'm 38 now). A couple years after I remember looking through Vintage Guitar Magazine and seeing first year Les Pauls (obviously the least desirable of the bunch but I've always LOVED them) selling for just a few thousand. I wanted one so badly but thought that it was insane to play that much for a guitar even if I had the money (which I didn't!). As an aside, I've always been into cars. I was able to buy a really clean first year 996 Porsche 911 a few years ago. It is the first of the liquid cooled era that everyone has always said would never be worth anything. It's already doubled in price just during my ownership. I may have missed the boat on a lot of other stuff, but at least I got that one right!
I always miss the boat. 10 years ago clean early CBS Jazzmasters were $3k, by the time I could afford that they were $5k. 10 years ago an 80s 911 Carrera was $25k, then $50k by the time I could buy one, now nearing $100k. The original NSX is $100k now but was $25k not long ago. I had the opportunity to buy a 997 C2S with GT3 aero kit maybe 4 years ago but didn't as we wanted to buy a house, now that car is worth double. If I was 5 to 10 years older, I could have made a career of buying and selling cars. Now I finally have something cool, a Lotus, but with my luck that market will go down.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:45 pm
mackerelmint wrote:

Also would highly recommend. Was a Small Clone guy for 15 years or so and the Analogman Chorus does all that and more.

As far as features, I'd say Stereo is maybe the only crucial one that I wished I had. I have the three-way switch on mine but I honestly never use it. The original setting sounds just right.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:11 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 am
Now I finally have something cool, a Lotus, but with my luck that market will go down.
With them moving away from ICE engines I don't see that in the short term. It won't appreciate as fast as a Porsche, but still...

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:27 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:11 pm
Pepe Silvia wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 am
Now I finally have something cool, a Lotus, but with my luck that market will go down.
With them moving away from ICE engines I don't see that in the short term. It won't appreciate as fast as a Porsche, but still...
Exactly why I bought it. I had a ton of equity in my car due to shortages, I have always liked Lotus and there is barely any Covid tax on Lotus compared to a Porsche. The numbers worked out for the most part, but I didn't want to risk not being able to buy a semi affordable manual ICE drivers car in the future since they are going away.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:02 pm

This thread inspired me to start keeping an eye out for a Peppermint Fuzz.
To tag on to a common complaint lately: these are often listed (and apparently sold) at higher than new prices on that-common-online-used-equipment-site! While new ones are readily available from Analogman with just a 2 week time-to-ship.
Sigh.
The world is weird.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair